Raid Controller Card for Lab/Development Server (ESXi 5)

Pythagorus

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

So I'm in a need of a Raid Card for my box to have Raid in my box (the onboard raid is unfortunately not recognized by vmware).

Which affordable RAID card would you recommend me? One that is compatible with VMWare of course.
I don't want to pay more than 250$ (I don't mind used).

For now a 4 Disk Raid Controller card would enough, though if the card falls within the budget, I wouldn't mind having a 8 disk raid controller card.

Last edited:
Just bought a PERC 6i on ebay and a low bracket from a member here on HardForum.

Just need some cables now! SAS->SATA

Thanks for the info AMD!

Is this Perc 6/i the best choice for:
RAID 10
SATA drives, not SAS
4 drives

that's what I need - are there any better choices?

It's all about $$

PERC 6/i has an LSI chip which from what I read in VMWare you're able to monitor the health status and stuff...

Maybe you could look at the HP P410, if your motherboard permits it... otherwise there's the Adaptec 2405 that's affordable..

trueimage, it really depends how much you're willing to pay...
Perc 6/i is a reasonable choice as you have multiple raid ability.
However if you're looking to do only RAID 10, maybe look into cards such as the adaptec 2405, however i read reviews on it that says that it heats up so proper cooling is necessary.

i'm not familiar with all the RAID cards all there, so I'd suggest looking at the HCL list of I/O devices for VMware and check from there...

i have an hp p410 with expander, works great, you can get HP raid health monitor install. PM me for VIB if you go the p410 way

Back