RAID0 WD800HLFS HD Tune Pro benchmarks: Intel ICH10R vs Areca 1200 vs HighPoint 3520

Oh sorry about that, I honestly didn't think anyone ever bothered to buy one of those. They're really not a RAID card IMO, not anymore than the onboard or any cheap 2 port card from best buy. :)
seemed like a nice idea, looks like Areca just skimped on the processor

Oh damn IOP341 to boot.

I have an ARC-1220 and it's based on the IOP333, not the IOP341. Looking at Areca's website, the ARC-1200's processor is running at 500MHz like that of the IOP333 cards, not the 800 or 1200MHz of Areca's higher end cards. I don't think that it's a fair test. You're comparing Areca's PCIe 1x, 2port, $180 card to HighPoint's 8port, PCIe 8x, 8port, $500 card.

I don't have a totally free set of drives on my ARC-1220 (8port, PCIe 8x, about $500 as well) but I casually ran HD Tune Pro trial in read benchmarking mode on my 4xSeagate 7200.11 1.5TB array in RAID 5 and came up with average read throughput of 293.2MB/s on my Vista Ultimate x64 machine, 8gigs of RAM, Q6600, Asus Maximus Formula X38. My operating system is installed on the same array (but in a different partition) that I was running the test on.

Admittedly, it's still disappointing to see a dedicated controller perform poorly against a "free, throw-in" controller built into a motherboard's chipset but even with this aging ARC-1220 card (for about $100 more you can get an 8port SAS controller from Areca with IOP341 and for about $200 more you can get a 12channel SAS controller based on the IOP348 at 1200Mhz) but to be fair, you have to compare similar classes of cards.

Untitled-1.png

I'm guessing that big dip was from when I was checking e-mail but you get the idea. Old card with cheap drives with numbers that at least sort of keep up with those of a comparable, newer HighPoint card with Velociraptors.

I watched and read the thread and I agree with one thing, the ARC-1200 is not really in the same class with the Highpoint. The ARC-1200 is a 3 year old card design based on a slower cpu, and yes, it is a real RAID card, not like the intel ICH10R, and I am using one from more than 2 years and I will not trade this for the ICH10R implementation ever... I am running a Core i7 with ICH10R on my test system here and I tried hundreds of hdds in RAID-0,1 and 5 with different stripe size alignments for different realtime scenarios (I have built over 2000 custom made PC Based Surveillance Systems in the last 3 years) starting with WD4000, Seagate SV, and for OS, WD Raptors, up to the latest Velociraptors... So far, no configuration on the ICH10R is as stable as the ARECA solution. I am testing right now some SSD OCZ Vertex Turbos on the Areca and ICH10R and after numerous reliability tests I am still going to use them on the Areca not on the ICH10R. I am going to get a Highpoint and do my own tests on it, although I am going for the 2 or 4 port version only at this time. And for a real head to head scenario, we should use one of the latest Areca controllers, so the fight should be fair against the Highpoint. If anyone has some PERC benchmarks in similar scenarios, please post your results... I am not a fan of brand name computers, such as Dell, but including the PERC results will be something interesting to see... Just my 2 cents...

Back