RAM for Macbook

I just installed a gb of g.skill ram in my MacBook yesterday. No problems so far.

Well, you heard wrong. Macs aren't pickier than any other machine.

C'mon Morty. . .some Macs are indeed picky about RAM. The MacBook isn't one of them, but many are. Granted, anything Apple has put out in the last 2 years or so is very industry-standard, but probably anything prior to the MDD G4 could be annoying. With many G4s and G3s, they used standard PC100 or PC133 but in many cases if you got single-sided boards they would see only half the density when double-sided boards were fine. Original tray-load iMacs were spec'd out for PC66 - and simply didn't like PC100 or PC133.

C'mon Morty. . .some Macs are indeed picky about RAM. The MacBook isn't one of them, but many are. Granted, anything Apple has put out in the last 2 years or so is very industry-standard, but probably anything prior to the MDD G4 could be annoying. With many G4s and G3s, they used standard PC100 or PC133 but in many cases if you got single-sided boards they would see only half the density when double-sided boards were fine. Original tray-load iMacs were spec'd out for PC66 - and simply didn't like PC100 or PC133.
Most of my experience has been on older macs and I remember RAM being a nightmare. I know the more recent stuff is a lot more industry standard, just wanted to make sure this wasn't a brand that randomly wouldn't work for whatever reason. I'm sure the intel chipsets have a lot to do with it. Thanks a lot, off to make my purchase :)

I've never had RAM issues in any of my Macs.
+1.

Even back in the Macintosh LC / Centris / Quadra days, I'd get whatever generic stuff had the same specs as the Apple-approved brands. These days I stick with Kingston/OCZ/(insert name brand here) - I shy away from the "el cheapo" no-name stuff these days. Still - never had a problem either way though that wasn't just due to the occasional defective memory module. :)

When people say that Macs are finicky about memory because they're unstable with the piece of shit stick they found in the dumpster, they forget the fact that ALL machines are unstable with shitty memory.

im gonna buy 1 gig of RAM for my MBP this weekend

Probably going to get it from newegg...give me suggestions

im gonna buy 1 gig of RAM for my MBP this weekend

Probably going to get it from newegg...give me suggestions
2 gigs is cheap enough, unless of course you have a 1 gig stick and are looking to upgrade.

When people say that Macs are finicky about memory because they're unstable with the piece of shit stick they found in the dumpster, they forget the fact that ALL machines are unstable with shitty memory.
I've had very good luck with stuff I've found in the dumpster.

ive already got a gig, so I only need another stick

what brand should I get? does it matter?

My wife's Macbook has been running two of these G.Skill sticks since June without trouble:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231066

I'm not sure what the difference is between the one you posted and this one except that this one says PC2-5400 and not 5300. At the time, the 5300 G.Skill ram supposedly only ran at 533 MHz (4200) in Macbooks. Don't know if that's still the case. The 5400 runs at 667 just fine.

Back