Ram Sinks

killster1

2[H]4U
Ok so i have tons of diff sets of BGA ramsinks.. do they help? should i use special arctic glue to make them stick?

have the chrome bga ones and swiftech mc14's.. talked to viperjohn and he said they all suck and that i should use supersinks .. (looked like mosfet coolers to me)... sooooooo what should i use or not use?

Thanks for replys

No clue what a supersink is, but from my (very limited) experience with the Swiftech ones:

1) the adhesive sucks
2) the revised adhesive sucks (came out some time in May)
3) Swiftech knows the adhesive still sucks and is working on it FWIW
4) the retailers carrying them know the adhesive sucks.

I bought mine from Jab-tech, who sent me some Arctic Alumina adhesive free of charge when I asked them what to do about the sinks not sticking. It works quite well. It comes in the form of a two-part epoxy, so read the instructions a few times if you haven't worked with that before. Note: this stuff is NOT coming off, or at least not with some extreme and probably risky effort. So make sure you use it only where you want a permanent bond (i.e. not on your CPU).

Whether or not other brand ramsinks are in a similar boat, I plan to use Arctic Silver's thermal adhesive / epoxy next time I'm doing a project that calls for ramsinks.

Anything helps... Seriously.

A 80:20 mix of AS Alumina parts A and B will glue it to the chip and allow you to twist it off... The 1:1 concentration that they specify makes for a perminant bond.

I'm not sure which part (A or B) needs to be in the 20% concentration, but I know it's the one that smells like all hell.

I've also heard things about freezing it...can't say as I've tried it though. EVGA's lenient RMA policy has been spoiling me (although I still make a point of testing the card with the stock heatsink before swapping it out for anything whether or not epoxy is involved).

just the info i wanted.. will do the 80/20 mix since i might need to rma this evga card in the future. Did not test out the memory oc before but will do it after. Now i have to decide if i want to cut a hole in my side window for a 120mm fan pulling air from gfx card.. (v900 doesnt shoot the air out the back)

I had some MC14's on my 1900xt, but switched them out for some OCZ aluminum ramsinks(now discontinued). I actually got better mem clocks on the OCZ's than I did with the MC14's, and the adhesive was decent.

It is more important to have some air movement around them than the size. that said use the biggest (more surface area) ones that will fit and glue them on as mentioned in earlier post.

Back