RAM upgrade for new 700m

Clownboat

Limp Gawd
I just ordered my girlfriend a Dell Inspiron 700m (got in on the $750 off $1500 deal :D). Of course, I ordered it with the standard 256 MB of RAM, since Dell would have charged a high premium for upgrades.

I would like to upgrade the RAM with another 512 MB stick, and I have a few questions since I am not all that familiar with laptop hardware. Your help is appreciated!

1. Will there be any problems with having a 256 and a 512 stick? I think 768 MB would be the sweet spot, since she will mainly be web surfing and doing document stuff in Windows XP Pro. A gig seems like overkill, especially given the price. I just want to make sure there will be no conflicts with having two different sticks in the system.

2. Will the RAM be difficult to install? I have plenty of experience with desktop hardware, but I've never installed a SO-DIMM. I hope Dell won't actively try to prevent me from installing the chip.

3. What kind/brand of stick should I get, and what is a good deal on a 512 MB stick of laptop DDR?

EDIT: Does this stuff look good? Is it a good idea to spend the extra ten bucks instead of getting the super-cheapo stuff on Newegg?

It is really easy to install. Just pop the cover open on the bottom and then slide it in the slot. Dell has an online manual on how ot install it if you want to take a look.

As for kind/brand, any should do fine. May want to consider getting the lifetime warranty at least.

Hope your laptop came with 1x256mb stick instead of 2x128mb. About ram brands - I have found that it is much better to spend more on more expensive ram than to go cheap. Bad ram can cause you so many headaches that it makes it just completely not worth it.

I upgraded the ram in my Toshiba Tecra S1. I got a 512mb Kingston stick (as per Toshibas reccomendations in their documentation actually) and I have had no problems.

It was like $10 more than the no name brand anyhow so that seems worth it to me, stability is very important. Cheap ram will probably work fine but less chance of 100% stability.

Kingston makes good ram.

The [H]orde needs You!

Well I thought that Kingmax stick might be OK because it's a good price, not a completely shady brand, and it runs with better timings than most of the other sticks I've seen. I'd grab a Corsair stick because I absolutely LOVE their ValueSelect memory, but it is $20 more.

Also I'm going to be paying for this RAM myself, even though it's my girlfriend's computer. Cuz I'm a nice guy. :D

Back