Ram will work with 3 sticks and not 4.

andrewglass25

Weaksauce
Motherboard : p5n-sli

I had some issues with my computer which COULD of been the ram but I did some other fixes at the same time which seem to have cleared it up. Anyway this is my old ram..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220144

I bought this and put this in today..

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098

However if I try to put all 4 sticks of ram in it won't work but if I put 3 in it does. Yes I put them in there proper duel spots and it's not just one bad stick. I can use ANY 3 combonations inany spots and the ram will fire up, However it won't if I put 1 more stick in and I've used the spare stick in the combonation of 3 to get it to work.

If I have 4 sticks in I get no video or boot up. I"m not quite sure what would do that. I even restarted the cmos once to give it a fresh boot.

Put 2 sticks in, get to the BIOS and up your DDR2 voltage to 2.0v. Then put in the remaining sticks and see if it posts.

Motherboard : p5n-sli

I had some issues with my computer which COULD of been the ram but I did some other fixes at the same time which seem to have cleared it up. Anyway this is my old ram..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820220144

I bought this and put this in today..

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820231098

However if I try to put all 4 sticks of ram in it won't work but if I put 3 in it does. Yes I put them in there proper duel spots and it's not just one bad stick. I can use ANY 3 combonations inany spots and the ram will fire up, However it won't if I put 1 more stick in and I've used the spare stick in the combonation of 3 to get it to work.

If I have 4 sticks in I get no video or boot up. I"m not quite sure what would do that. I even restarted the cmos once to give it a fresh boot.

When you say it doesn't work you mean it doesn't boot? Do you get any beeping noises or memory errors on start up?

As the previous guy said, stick in 2 sticks and up the voltage to 2.0V. While you're at it try "relaxing" CAS settings and lowering memory speed just to get the system to bootup. Afterwords you can do some tweaking.

When you say it doesn't work you mean it doesn't boot? Do you get any beeping noises or memory errors on start up?

As the previous guy said, stick in 2 sticks and up the voltage to 2.0V. While you're at it try "relaxing" CAS settings and lowering memory speed just to get the system to bootup. Afterwords you can do some tweaking.

No beeping noise, Just no boot. The computer turns on but I get no reaction from anything else with no video.

I tried all kinds of different voltage settings with no luck. The highest the settings will go is 2.42 and 2.5 something. Same thing at 2.42 and 2.5 my computer started tripping out but I hadn't put the extra stick in yet.

The CAS settings are auto then 1 through 7. What should I try it at?

No beeping noise, Just no boot. The computer turns on but I get no reaction from anything else with no video.

I tried all kinds of different voltage settings with no luck. The highest the settings will go is 2.42 and 2.5 something. Same thing at 2.42 and 2.5 my computer started tripping out but I hadn't put the extra stick in yet.

The CAS settings are auto then 1 through 7. What should I try it at?

2.42 and 2.5?! Limit yourself to 2.1-2.2.. you wouldn't want to kill your RAM now :eek:

Since you're not sure how to set cas settings see if you know how to set the memory speed. Try sticking in 2 sticks of RAM and lower the memory speed to 533MHz (read the manual if you're not sure how to do so.) Afterwards restart the machine to make sure this setting sticks. After you have confirmed this, shutdown the machine and stick in the other 2 sticks and now try to boot the PC. Let us know what the results are and we'll go from there.

2.42 and 2.5?! Limit yourself to 2.1-2.2.. you wouldn't want to kill your RAM now :eek:

Since you're not sure how to set cas settings see if you know how to set the memory speed. Try sticking in 2 sticks of RAM and lower the memory speed to 533MHz (read the manual if you're not sure how to do so.) Afterwards restart the machine to make sure this setting sticks. After you have confirmed this, shutdown the machine and stick in the other 2 sticks and now try to boot the PC. Let us know what the results are and we'll go from there.

Yeah I tried 2.1 and 2.2 with no luck so I worked my way up. I built the computer myself and have a fair idea how to do things but not everything thus I'm posting here. I'll try the other part next.

Thanks for all the help so far.

This is a major bump, I put this on the back burner as I got busy but I added another HD and a bigger PSU and felt like trying this again hopefully someone sees this and responds.

When I moved the voltage up again by itself it didn't boot, Now when I droped the memory speed to 533 it worked. But i moved the voltage back to auto it didn't and it didn't work when I raised the mem speed back to 800mhz with a 2.0 v.

Is it fine at 533 or should I try to see how high I can get it and try moving the voltage up to 2.1-2.2?

I forgot to mention did you try setting the memory to 2T? It'll work at 533 but it will be slower.

CAS settings should be 5-5-5-15 or looser for your memory. If that setting doesn't work you can try 6-6-6-20 just to check.

Another thing to check would be the FSB:Memory divider. Make sure when you raise your memory speed that you're not overclocking the FSB.

The Nvidia chipset in that MOBO is not going to clock 4 modules very well. Try clocking up from 533 with 2.1v on the memory. Also, you are likely going to need to add some voltage to the memory controller due to the module load. It's a hot chipset so make sure the NB is well cooled.

Back