Rambus Wins Latest Legal Round

HardOCP News

[H] News
It would seem that Rambus has won a round in the ongoing SDRAM patent infringement / licensing legal saga. What is this now, 10 years or more this has been going on? Look for appeals to stretch it to another ten. So much for being a “victory.”

Things looked bleak for Rambus for a while after Infineon won a 2001 jury verdict claiming fraudulent conduct. But over the last couple of years, Rambus has managed to convince several juries and appeals court judges that it had shown off its patented technology long before the standards-setting discussions took place, and that JEDEC's disclosure policy did not explicitly require participants to disclose their patent holdings.

if only they could drop the prices... ive got a dell that was given to me free that has rambus... with a decent AGP card (curently has my almost dead 9800pro) and 1gb of ram the computer could be usefull :(

As a company, I hate Rambus.
I wouldnt say that about many (any?) other companies.
Even Intel had to distance themselves from Rambus after signing an agreement to use them and stopped using Rambus entirely.

It's the new American way! Screw yourself, and make up the difference with a lawsuit.

It wasn't MY fault - it was everyone else's - so they will PAY.

Rambus - It's like an interior nostril pimple that makes that nasty re-appearance :mad:

Many hate the company but the thing is Rambus was good technology. It was years ahead of DDR in terms of speed and bandwidth. I had a P4 with 512 PC-800 Rambus and at the time the best DDR had to offer was DDR 266. I remember guys would diss me online for buying a Rambus P4 but I was killing all of them in sandra lol

For the time, Rambus memory was the stuff, and was hands down faster than anything on the block.

If they could get over the legal mobo, I think they could be a player still in todays market.

Many hate the company but the thing is Rambus was good technology. It was years ahead of DDR in terms of speed and bandwidth. I had a P4 with 512 PC-800 Rambus and at the time the best DDR had to offer was DDR 266. I remember guys would diss me online for buying a Rambus P4 but I was killing all of them in sandra lol

Oh for sure. The company is and/or will be another SCO in the end but it's technology was great. I myself had an ABIT TH7-II RAID. I had ordered those memory mcthingies (goes to show you :p) from Texas Instruments to solder onto the board so I could clock higher but I kept on forgetting about it.

Rambus was fast but at the cost of latency. Remember the more sticks of RDRAM you put in the machine, the worse latency got. They were also hotter, cost 1.5x - 2x the cost of DDR and only provided maybe a %10 boost comparative to the top DDR modules of the day. Also they did not self-terminate themselves, meaning remaining open slots had to be filled with CRIMM(terminating modules). You also had to install them in pairs.

Overall the complexity & inflexibility of the format, I feel, lead to it's death. Also I am not sure why Rambus didn't make their case earlier, instead they focused on a competitor to DDR. Then once RDRAM started tanking they start a filing lawsuits. What's true or not is going to forever be shady as the memory industry has been known for many other unsavory things.

Since their earliest patents were filed in the early 90's, they should start expiring soon.. but they've been filing (or maybe it is being granted) patents as recent as this year.

Since nobody uses RDRAM anymore they pretty much are the hardware equivalent of SCO at this point.

They're still around? Who do they sell to these days?

Serious question, btw, I haven't heard that name outside of lawsuit stories for years now.

What I can't understand is the fragging HIGH price RDRAM still goes for. Nobody wants it. You'd think after all this time they'd be begging people to get it off their shelves - and make it cheaper. The "raise the price because its rare" crap really doesn't fly. Nobody wants it. I myself have a dually sitting in the basement because it needs RDRAM. I only hold it because I might run across some ram from a customer leftover........but I would never buy any(except maybe a cheap deal from a [H] member).

What I can't understand is the fragging HIGH price RDRAM still goes for. Nobody wants it. You'd think after all this time they'd be begging people to get it off their shelves - and make it cheaper. The "raise the price because its rare" crap really doesn't fly. Nobody wants it. I myself have a dually sitting in the basement because it needs RDRAM. I only hold it because I might run across some ram from a customer leftover........but I would never buy any(except maybe a cheap deal from a [H] member).

What can you put RDRAM in these days anyway?

Rambus was fast but at the cost of latency. Remember the more sticks of RDRAM you put in the machine, the worse latency got. They were also hotter, cost 1.5x - 2x the cost of DDR and only provided maybe a %10 boost comparative to the top DDR modules of the day. Also they did not self-terminate themselves, meaning remaining open slots had to be filled with CRIMM(terminating modules). You also had to install them in pairs.

Overall the complexity & inflexibility of the format, I feel, lead to it's death. Also I am not sure why Rambus didn't make their case earlier, instead they focused on a competitor to DDR. Then once RDRAM started tanking they start a filing lawsuits. What's true or not is going to forever be shady as the memory industry has been known for many other unsavory things.

Not to nit pick but there was never a heat issue with my Rambus. Also as for prices I recall it wasen't much more then traditional DDR at least not later on. I don't ever remember RDRAM costing 2X DDR. As for CRIMMS, yes you had to use them to fill in open slots but it was a none issue because all RDRAM motherboards shipped with two CRIMMS just in case. The only thing I didn't like about RDRAM was you had to buy them in pairs and that sucked IMO.

I'll give you all the sticks of Rdram 128mb I have if someone would just trade me a Thermalright XP-120 heatsink. Man, I need a [H] member that would part with it.

0101050102090104052008030760473a651.jpg

For the time, Rambus memory was the stuff, and was hands down faster than anything on the block.
If they could get over the legal mobo, I think they could be a player still in todays market.
So true, I still have a computer running 1gig rambus ram on a p4t-e and it still fast.
Lovely memory.

I just hope this doesn't follow the Blu-Ray/HDDVD model:

Bluray's expensive + Sony sucks * (Bluray's dead + Sony's dead) = Bluray wins!

Back