DirtyApe

Gawd
CPU: Intel 3930K w/ Corsair H100i
Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme revision 1.02
BIOS version: 4403
RAM: CMZ16GX3M4A2133C9 Corsair Vengeance series
PSU: Corsair HX850W
GPU: EVGA GTX 780ti SC

So I've had this system for a while now and it runs perfectly except for when I try to overclock the CPU over 3.5Ghz.
Anytime I overclock, using the built in motherboard presets, everything runs great for about a week and then the PC will randomly reboot and then display "CPU overclock failed". I then have to go into BIOS and reset everything to stock.
Right now my system has been running at 3.5Ghz (base clock is 3.2Ghz) without reboots, locking up or anything abnormal.
One thing I did notice is that my RAM isn't on the motherboard's compatible RAM list. Would that be the deciding factor for my overclocking issue?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have also followed a couple guides and Youtube videos on how to manually overclock using my specs but the problem persists no matter how I overclock.

Your processors ability to overclock is totally random. Some will go to 4.5Ghz and some won't run any faster than stock. Just the luck of the draw. What have you tried for CPU voltage?

I honestly don't remember what voltages I tried manually. That kinda sucks knowing I got a bunk cpu as far as overclocking is concerned. At least that puts me at ease that it's not something else.

Just for the sake of it does anyone else have any input on this other than the idea of my CPU not being able to overclock?

I'd suggest setting everything to auto in the bios, set the ram to its rated speed and voltage. Then run XTU or RealBench stress test for a few hours to verify that everything works at stock speeds. After that increase the multi by 1 and retest to see how far you can get without messing with vcore. If the test doesn't fail after 15min or so increase the multi once again and retest.

Back