ramsinks for my system ram, best cost/performance?

RogueTrip

2[H]4U
Prefer a blue cooler, have 4x512 PC3200 (double sided) btw.

I've been to svc, newegg, but just looking for peoples reviews/likes.

TIA!

Get ones that looks the best to you..... I think ram heatspreaders are for looks only and actually make your rams warmer insted of cooler..... If yuo want bling then the HR-07 is the obvious choice, if you want performance then leave them naked....

In a test 4 that thermalright they also tested the stock heatspreaders on some memory modules, the heatspreaders caused the memory to become warmer when they had it on there test bench, but with a side panel fan in a case they do cool, without sufficient airflow they act like an insulator but with airflow they do spread the heat.

they are not the same as those that I put a link to. not by a long shot.

Yeah, but they're not blue, and totally overkill...

It's like putting a tuniq tower on my ethernet hub ;)

I think ram heatspreaders are for looks only and actually make your rams warmer insted of cooler..... If yuo want bling then the HR-07 is the obvious choice, if you want performance then leave them naked....

I'd reckon this isn't true... Any increase in surface area wil reduce the temperature of a component...

All "performance" RAM has a heatspreader, so I'd think it's for a reason.

What is this opinion based on?

I was going to say " from experience" but then my experience was from DDR1 and not DDR2.....

Have you ever taken off the heatspreaders? if you have, you'll see that the thermal tape they use to transfer the heat to the spreaders are quite thick.... If the IC's on the rams get pretty hot, then it will be effective,.... but in reality, these ic's actually dont get as hot as people would think so in effect the heat spreaders are just acting as a blanket instead of cooler...... Ive ran my Ballistix at 2.8v and my rams were barely warm.... My Ballistix BTW were naked ( since day one ).....

My experience was from my old HyperX BH-5.... The sticks that I got were very dissapointing at first till I took off the heat spreaders, she went from 230mhz to 245 instantly...... HERE is the thread I started at Xtreme..... These BH-5s do get hot though so I put heatsinks on them ( using AS thermal epoxy... not that tape crap ).... 4.06v tend to make these guys hot lol......

ram2.jpg

If you guys are still not convinced.... OPB ( onepagebook) who owns the WR in superpi ( 8.91s ) and 3dmark05.....who is probably top 5 overclocker in the world, who ( I believe ) works at Team Extreem has said himself that the heatspreaders are only for "bling" and does not make your rams perform any better.....

Eventually when Im done benching and torturing my rig, I will put the spreaders back on my Ballistix...... Unlike a woman, they look alot better with clothes on lol........

Back