Random lockups (PSU/RAM?)

xanvincent

Weaksauce
For several years, my computer has been more or less flawless. Mildly overclocked (Q6600 @ 3.0GHz) until I started have random crashes / freezes (mostly noted in games). So to rule out the OC being the problem, I clocked everything back down to stock. RAM was still set at its recommended 2.0V though. However, now I am still noticing random freezes (usually during games, sound continues to play several seconds after my video freezes). Given the age of most of the components in my system (4+ years) I'm willing to bet its my CPU or RAM failing. How do I troubleshoot a PSU? Most of the software monitors show most of my rails running considerably low (even at idle), 3.3 is around 3.14 and 12v is 11.8something, depending on the program. I know these arent accurate, but can this be used as an indication?

Thoughts?

No, software PSU votlage readings are not good indicators of anything. You need to use a digital multi-meter to measure the PSU voltages.

Also it would help if you listed the entire specs of your PC.

Sure thing.

Everything is currently stock.

Intel Q6600 G0 (TRUE)
ASUS Maximus Formula X38
2x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 4-4-4-12 2.0V
ATi 4870 512MB (Did have Cat10.4, currently running 10.8 to see if it makes a difference)
Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
Corsair TX650W
2x 74GB Raptors in RAID 0, 1x Seagate 500GB

(Computer IS regularly cleaned, overheating is not the issue.)

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

If you can, try a different PSU and GPU. Also test the hard drives:
[Testing the Hard Drive]
Download the CD image of Hitachi Drive Fitness Test, burn the ISO file to a CD, and then boot from it, just like you would do with the XP/Vista install CD. Test the hard drive and see if any problems are found. DFT will run on most manufacturers' hard drives. Alternatively, you can use Seagate's SeaTools for DOS to test a Seagate or Maxtor drive. For a Western Digital drive, you could use Data Lifeguard Tools for DOS to test a Western Digital drive.

Get Ultimate Boot CD and run some various tests e.g. Memtest86+, whatever hard drive test, etc.

Ran memtest86+ for many hours, 0 errors. Those diagnostic tools don't like that the two raptors are in raid 0. HDDs aside, I'd look at PSU? GPU is pretty new and didn't have any trouble out of it when I first got it.

This also happened once watching a flash video on the web, no games involved that time.

I'd look at PSU?
I'd be swapping that next.

Have you looked in the event viewer?

It won't help troubleshooting a PS but ya just never know what you will find. :)

I wouldnt rule out a virus either, or just a corrupted dll/registry. When is the last time you did a clean install of Windows? Simplest and cheapest solution may be to just backup necessary files and do a clean install.

that would pretty much rule-out software from your troubleshooting.

I don't believe its a virus, it shows no other symptoms and I've been virus-free for years. My last install was a year ago, with another coming up when I get a SSD.

The 10.8 cat drivers seems to have made the problem better, it hasn't happened in a while.

Back