random windows reboot

Cigolon

Gawd
ok. well. i was playing counterstrike today. just having me time shooting and talking to a few old friends and suddenly my mouse and keyboard stopped responding and there was this weird buzzing sound coming from hd area. i hit the power just thinking something had freaked and a reset would fix it.

i restart, mouse and keyboard still get nothing and sure enough the buzzing sound keeps comming. i let it run its route starting and it comes up with a 'file is corrupt msg' said the ntoskrnl.exe file was corrupt and i needed to reinstall windows. so i pop out my windows disk (upset as hell about loosing everything) put it in the drive and restart it hoping the mouse and keyboard would work.

i restarted and everything worked fine. got back in windows and ran a virus scan. nothing. i made sure to update before hand and everything. anyone got any ideas. i mean. what happened. i dont like when things like that happen to my computer.

Any chance the machine overheated?

You haven't really given anyone much info to troubleshoot with...

sry. its the 2500+ system in my sig. when the system restarted the temps for reporting at 42ish. so it was an overheat. what worries me is the noise.

What sort of power supply are you running, and do you have alot of system components? Like CD-ROMs, Hard Drives, USB Devices??

no. all i've got running is a dvd burner and two hard drives. the ps is a 450.

thanks for the link. it works fine now. i was just wondering what would cause it to go corrupt

Ive had the same problem with my RAID array check and make sure your hdd is getting power directly from the PSU and not chained to any other devices your hdd might not be getting enough current or might be getting interference on the power line from other devices ihad this problem a month ago and i reformated 3 times in 2 days because of it until i found the problem

thanks for the link. it works fine now. i was just wondering what would cause it to go corrupt

Seeing it may be intermittant and happens again, I would run Memtest and Check disk for errors, also as other stated is your PSU capacity still ok ?

Have you installed anything before it started ?

Look for clues in EventViewer around the same time it happened ?

Hi
I had some similar random reboots recently. I was thinking the machine was overheating (no - only 50 oc), that the psu was dropping power (no, 550 watt), and then I ran a defrag on my hdd.

Since then, no more reboots..... wierd, but I don't care as it worked.

Cheers

L

If you think overheating may be a problem, this is the easiest to prove, by taking off the side covers and aim a 220V fan at it. I assume your Processor heatsink fitts well on Processor to conduct heat.

my temps are staying below 45 even when i'm gaming, usually around 42. so i seriously doubt its my temps. the computer has been running for almost a year now like this, temps never peaking high. the hs is on their really well. its a 2500+ w/ a volcano 9 on it. the ps is a 450 and has plenty of juice.

i downloaded memtest, but i dont have a floppy drive. so it made it kinda hard to run it.

will help you out !
Disabling the “restart on system failure” feature may permit the exact cause to be isolated: Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

Back