Raptor performing badly

SocceRich20

2[H]4U
I just got a WD raptor, and installed XP fresh on it, along with a couple of games and such. I installed SiSoft Sandra 2005 Professional, and the Raptor scores a lowly 41MBPS. Is there something I can do to make it perform as it should, the examples show Raptors at almost 100MBPS.

That's what you get for using Sisoft to do disk benchies!!!
It consistantly tells me that my 250gb original maxtor SATA is faster than my 10K U320 Fujitsu SCSI drive :rolleyes:
Try benching it with hdtach

yeah, sandra is pretty unreliable at times. Seems to be a general opinion about it.

Just ran some benchmarks with Hdtach.

Hitachi 7,200 rpm 160GB
Hitachi.JPG

WD Raptor 10,000 rpm 36GB
Raptor.JPG

Am I reading this correctly? My 7200 rpm drive is beating my 10k drive?

I just installed a Raptor as well, the 74GB version and thought it was running slower than everyone raved about. Ran Sisoft, and got similar results as well. I'd love to know if this is it, or if there is something I can do to make it as fast as everyone seemed to say it was.

I just benched both my raptors with hdtach 3, short test and long test, both benched no lower than 61 MB/s for average read speeds. So it might be your drives, or it might be your controller. Or it might be your controller is on the pci bus and is fighting for too much bandwidth. I know mine is totally seperate from teh other buses on my system. I'm shooting in the dark here with out actually playing around with your systems.

Also, i've got several torrents open for a few linux distro's too, so really, i'd probably bench a touch higher than what i did.

I just ran the long test with th HD Tach v3 and got an Average read of 64MB/s and a Random access time of 7.7ms. My Burst Speed was 119.4 MB/s. I thought Raptors were supose to be as low as 4.5ms for read times.

Are my numbers consistant with other Raptor owners or do I have a defective drive? Honestly, I was a little dissapointed after I dropped ~$175 on this drive and didn't see the performance that everyone else raved about.

BTW i'm running it with onboard SATA on my IC7-Max3 mobo, without any RAID. The system didn't require new drivers (did not hit F6) when I loaded XP Pro SP2 onto it, it recognized the HD on its own. I'm also running of a clean slate XP Pro SP2 right now since I just did a rebuild when I got the drive a week ago.

SB22 said:
I just ran the long test with th HD Tach v3 and got an Average read of 64MB/s and a Random access time of 7.7ms. My Burst Speed was 119.4 MB/s. I thought Raptors were supose to be as low as 4.5ms for read times..

4.5 is the rotational latency.

Your random access time of 7.7ms is access latency.

That's normal.

I'm afraid that's all they're slated for... select the single raptor in the drop down comparison menu and take see how close yours compares to it. Here's my 36gb raptor.

raptor.jpg

What raptor did you buy? 36 or 74 gig? There could be alot of things affecting your performance of it, not necessarily the drive either.

Before you get rid of it, try downloading the latest IAA and chipset drivers from Intel. (intel application accelrator)

If that dosn't help, I am out of ideas.

==>Lazn

the 36 gig are significantly slower than the 74 gigs.

My guess is they are performing up to par for that particular drive. The 36's will probably perform better under heavy IO than a standard 7200 rpm drive. See if you can get others running 36's to compare benches to. Every bench i've posted here so far is for my 74.

Those numbers seem about right for a 36 gig raptor. The 74 gig model didnt just offer more space, but WD made some other improvements as well. Good 7200 rpm drives will get close to the 36 gig raptor in transfer rates. Currently I have 2 7200 rpm ide drives, a 74 gig raptor and a 36 gig raptor. I benched them all, and the 36 gig matches what you posted. The speed of the raptor shows up more in access times and latencies, not always transfer rates.

Back