Rate this purchase + Heat Sink and Fan Question

Bumrush

Limp Gawd
I haven't upgraded my PC (AMD 64 3200) in over 7 years and finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a monster gaming rig.. Marriage, work and just being busy limited my free time to game. Around a year ago I started playing on my PS3, which IMHO, has pathetic controls and doesn't come anywhere near my previous PC gaming.. I figured why not bite the bullet and treat myself to something fast and reliable, that would last at least 3 years...

So here goes:

Intel Core i7 2600K
ASROCK/ P67 EXTREME4 motherboard
Intel SSDSC2MH120A2K5 510 120GB Solid-State Drive - 120GB, SATA
(2) SAMSUNG 1TB HD103SJ Harddrives set up in RAID 0
MSI R6870 TWIN FROZR (AMD)
Cooler Master CM690 II Case
Cooler Master GX 750w power supply
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
W7P

I think I got a good deal on eBay from a highly rated seller that had to move unexpectedly and has only used it for roughly a month, with supposedly no problems... $1200.00.. What do you all think? Anything glaring that I need to be aware of?

Also, this setup was never overclocked so I was thinking of adding an aftermarket HS&F combo. I don't feel like removing the motherboard to install a heat-sink and after doing some research found this: SCRT-1000, Scythe Rasetsu, which uses a standard clipping system similar to the one the standard Intel heatsink uses.

Any suggestions/ advice? I want something that requires minimal work, that can moderately overclock (4.2 GHZ would be nice) and that is no hassle.. Do you guys recommend keeping the raid 0 config on the drives or is better to have redundancy? How does that affect performance? Sorry for the newb questions, I haven't played around with a custom build since I coaxed my old Celry 466 to 953 :)

I haven't upgraded my PC (AMD 64 3200) in over 7 years and finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase a monster gaming rig.. Marriage, work and just being busy limited my free time to game. Around a year ago I started playing on my PS3, which IMHO, has pathetic controls and doesn't come anywhere near my previous PC gaming.. I figured why not bite the bullet and treat myself to something fast and reliable, that would last at least 3 years...

So here goes:

Intel Core i7 2600K
ASROCK/ P67 EXTREME4 motherboard
Intel SSDSC2MH120A2K5 510 120GB Solid-State Drive - 120GB, SATA
(2) SAMSUNG 1TB HD103SJ Harddrives set up in RAID 0
MSI R6870 TWIN FROZR (AMD)
Cooler Master CM690 II Case
Cooler Master GX 750w power supply
Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
W7P

I think I got a good deal on eBay from a highly rated seller that had to move unexpectedly and has only used it for roughly a month, with supposedly no problems... $1200.00.. What do you all think? Anything glaring that I need to be aware of?

Also, this setup was never overclocked so I was thinking of adding an aftermarket HS&F combo. I don't feel like removing the motherboard to install a heat-sink and after doing some research found this: SCRT-1000, Scythe Rasetsu, which uses a standard clipping system similar to the one the standard Intel heatsink uses.

Any suggestions/ advice? I want something that requires minimal work, that can moderately overclock (4.2 GHZ would be nice) and that is no hassle.. Do you guys recommend keeping the raid 0 config on the drives or is better to have redundancy? How does that affect performance? Sorry for the newb questions, I haven't played around with a custom build since I coaxed my old Celry 466 to 953 :)

Some of the parts that you selected are poor choices for the money. Specifically, the PSU (most of the GX series PSUs still on the shelves are based on a Seventeam platform that could not deliver its full wattage rating under realistic conditions; in the case of the GX 750, it's really only a 550W PSU with a highfalutin "750W" rating), the RAM (most HyperX modules need all of 1.65V -- the absolute maximum DIMM voltage allowed by current Intel CPUs -- just to even run at JEDEC stock speeds) and the motherboard (too pricey for a board that is warrantied for only one year compared to the three-year warranty other brands offer).

So, you need to replace the PSU and the RAM as soon as possible in order to increase the usable life of that system.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice... I'm shocked at how low RAM is priced, I remember cringing when I spent $300+ on a measly 1 GB of OCZ memory back in the day...

What memory do you recommend?

Also, I don't plan on using Crossfire, do you think the PS should still be sold?

I'm pretty sure I can sell the Kingston 16GB KIT for roughly the same amount of money as a new 8GB kit that performs better..

For $1200, you definitely got ripped off. In addition to the three issues that E4g1e mentioned, there's another issue: Warranty. Since you're the second owner of the hardware, you generally won't get warranty service. So if any of those parts die, you're SOL and JWF.

Even if you aren't planning on Crossfire, that PSU is so shitty that it's simply not worth risking your setup with it. Get this PSU and you'll be set:
$85 - Corsair 650TX V2 650W PSU

I recommend this RAM:
$45 - G.Skill Ripjaws F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333 RAM

As for the Scythe Rasetsu and adding a HSF, you actually don't need to remove the mobo at all. Look at your case: it has a huge cutout on the motherboard tray. That cutout allows you to add a 3rd party HSF without removing the motherboard. As such, I recommend this HSF instead:
$28 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156

It cools better than the Scythe Rasetsu, costs less, and, due to the motherboard tray cutout, not that much harder to install.

Appreciate the honesty.. I have a week to play around with it and will only have to eat shipping costs..

I got caught up and did something I rarely do - An impulse buy.... Hopefully it won't bite me in the ass but I'm now questioning why I didn't just build this myself, it's a simple proposition that I got overwhelmed with since I've been out of the PC build game in long a$$ time....

Danny, I did price out the items individually on Newegg and they were roughly $1600.00 total.. But then again, because of my excitement about finally having a PC again didn't ask myself if these components were the most cost efficient/ best performing products out there. I focused on the fact that the 2600K / ASRock MB/ SSD combo was ridiculous, and was valued at nearly 800...

I'll keep you guys posted if this turns in to a nightmare.. Thanks for the advice again.

Last edited:
Back