RE; 4 Gigs RAM, is 2x 2Gig better than 4x1Gig?,

The-Tmann

Supreme [H]ardness
Re: running 4 gigs total RAM
is 2x 2Gig better than 4x1Gig?
This would be on a 680i setup or IP35

I've heard that 2X 2gig sticks is easier on mem controller, higher overclocks or?

Please LMK your experience or opinions

Yep you got it.
4x1GB cant be made to perform as fast.

I dunno why people say that so much, Iguess it depends on the mobo/chipset

on my evga 680i sli I have 4gb 4x1gb I'm runnign it stock voltage @ 3ghz with ram @ 4-4-4-10 @ 750mhz ^^ I acn do 5-5-5-15 at 800
but i dont feel like upping the vs!

yes depends on mobo/chipset but generally 2x2 is more stable and overclocks higher then 4x1

[H]ocusPocus;1031452524 said:
I can tell you that going from 2x1 to 4x1 hurt my overclock.

Me too I can run at my sig FSB with 2x1 but 4x1 and I have go lower all the way into the high 300's FSB as my max. It stinks

no big dawgs here running 2 x 2gig?!

Well first you need Vista 64, and also please tell me where is the 2x2 good OC memory. For instance I want to keep my 500 FSB. So I need memory to run at 1000mhz. Thats 200mhz over standards 800DDR2. So when the good OC memory comes out like 1066 and is reasonably priced I will be all over it. I won't give up my OC.

Well I would consider myself more of an "old Dawg" than a big dawg, but I am running OCZ's 2x2Gb PC6400 in my main box and Corsair 4x1Gb in my bench mule. I did lose a bit of OC when I added the extra 2x1GB to the mule and with the four sticks and I'm forced to run a 2T command rate where as with the 2x2Gb sticks I am still able to run a command rate of 1T along with timmings of 5-5-5-15 @ a HT of 245Mhz and SiSandra says my memory bandwidth is just a taste under 9K.
Any who, you can judge for yourself the difference, I'm just saying this is how it's working for me.

Re: running 4 gigs total RAM
is 2x 2Gig better than 4x1Gig?
This would be on a 680i setup or IP35

I've heard that 2X 2gig sticks is easier on mem controller, higher overclocks or?

Please LMK your experience or opinions

i recommend you get 2x2gb, if you definitely plan on overclocking (same exact ram as well)

I guess one of the questions I would have here is why does it seem that better memory (like the OCZ that is optionally watercooled) only comes as 2x1gb not 2x2gb? I'm just about in the market for 4gb myself (For a Core 2 Quad OC) and its hard to find 4gb kits of the better DDR2.

I just installed a 2nd set of 2x1gb ballistix (couldn't resist the price after rebate) and it seems I can push it just as same as when I was using 2x1gb. Although I still haven't tried to push it to the limit yet, but I'm satified with my current OC.

I am running the following ram and it seems to work quite well.

mushkin 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model 996564 - Retail

I have my quad (B3) running at 3.2 on air.

I still haven't adjusted the ratio's though - running 1:1 meaning I have downclocked the ram.

Anyone know what ratio to use at 3.2 to get it to utilize my ram fully (Stock speed)?

Using my abit ip35pro

I guess one of the questions I would have here is why does it seem that better memory (like the OCZ that is optionally watercooled) only comes as 2x1gb not 2x2gb? I'm just about in the market for 4gb myself (For a Core 2 Quad OC) and its hard to find 4gb kits of the better DDR2.
untill recently, memory prices very fairly high so there wasn't much demand for 4gb (2x2gb) kits, now that memory is dirt cheap more and more people buy more then 2gb, so my guess is we will start seeing more and more 2x2 gb kits. I just picked up recently released corsair 4gb kit so far I'm happy with it.

Back