Re installed cpu cooler, no signal to monitor?

Stu55

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm putting together an htpc using older parts i have around; abit aa8xe mobo, p4 lga775 3.0hz prescott, 7600gt, 120gb hd, 4 sticks of 512, blu ray drive, fortron blue storm 500w psu in a new silverstone case i bought.

Freshly formatted and put win7 home on.

I put everything together and sometimes it would just shut off, check temps, around 70c which is pretty warm so i figured i would check out the cooler ( stock lga775 intel cooler). It was sort of fubar(little loose), so i grabbed a new one and put it on and it went smoothly.

Turn it on, runs fine, but no signal to monitor, tried 2 different monitors.

unplugged everything, ran bare essentials, took out ram, tried 1 stick in 1 slot, tried different stick, different slots, reseated gfx card.

If it was the motherboard, wouldn't it give me a post code? (it has a display on the mobo)

I may take the 7600gt out tomorrow and plug it into my main rig.

Any ideas?

70°C idle? wow thats hot, even for a prescott! lol.

If the system beeps without any RAM nor vidcard, then the mobo should be ok. try another vidcard if you can. also, check that mobo for any bulging caps.

pulled card from other rig (gtx260) and put in the 7600gt, the 7600gt works in the other rig, and the gtx260 does not work in this rig still.

Motherboard?

It only gives the code 9.0 =Complete uGuru initial process
AWARD BIOS take over booting job

I've tried clearing the cmos...hmm

Hooray, got a signal, I wiggled the cooler even though it was tight as it was gonna get, then poof! IDK.

Back