Re: Staples Black Friday 200GB Maxtor Rebate

Rambaldi

n00b
(The original thread about this was closed...please move this to the appropriate forum/thread if I've misposted)

I purchased my 200GB Maxtor online on Staples.com on Black Friday morning for ~$90ish and after I confirmed my order I was sent to the rebate page. I filled out the rebate and today I received a postcard in the mail saying that I hadn't purchased the correct product, thus I wouldn't get my $50 rebate.

Has anyone else received this regarding your 200GB from Staples? Possible resolutions?

Rambaldi said:
(The original thread about this was closed...please move this to the appropriate forum/thread if I've misposted)

I purchased my 200GB Maxtor online on Staples.com on Black Friday morning for ~$90ish and after I confirmed my order I was sent to the rebate page. I filled out the rebate and today I received a postcard in the mail saying that I hadn't purchased the correct product, thus I wouldn't get my $50 rebate.

Has anyone else received this regarding your 200GB from Staples? Possible resolutions?

I knew this was going to be a hassle, thus I did not pick one up that AM. I am currently fighting with Envision trying to get a $40 rebate they owe me from my purchase on 9/16/2006. I am getting ready to load up the CEOs voicemail over at Envision, and file several claims to any agency that will take them just to be a royal pain in the Ass. Not that I am Hard up for $40, it is a light snack, but I get pissed when I feel I like I have been played. I will be sure and programatically speed dial their 800 number just to rack up hundreds in phone charges for them.

Another thing you can do is order something real small in the mail (like in an envelope) from them. Get a huge box with old tires or something heavy in it, attache their unopened package to it and write 'REFUSED' and set it back out to the curb. Nice way to get even buy making them pay for huge return shipping fees. I say 'F' all these lying screwball companies.

I have the rebate sent in.. no reply yet or money back yet. I'll post an update when (if) I get the rebate back.

I checked online I'm still at "Validation in progress."

I purchased this online on BF and did the easy rebate at the same time online

swetmore said:
I knew this was going to be a hassle, thus I did not pick one up that AM. I am currently fighting with Envision trying to get a $40 rebate they owe me from my purchase on 9/16/2006. I am getting ready to load up the CEOs voicemail over at Envision, and file several claims to any agency that will take them just to be a royal pain in the Ass. Not that I am Hard up for $40, it is a light snack, but I get pissed when I feel I like I have been played. I will be sure and programatically speed dial their 800 number just to rack up hundreds in phone charges for them.

Another thing you can do is order something real small in the mail (like in an envelope) from them. Get a huge box with old tires or something heavy in it, attache their unopened package to it and write 'REFUSED' and set it back out to the curb. Nice way to get even buy making them pay for huge return shipping fees. I say 'F' all these lying screwball companies.

But yet you still buy products with MIRs...can't turn away a great deal eh? :)

I bought one online and did the e-rebate, have yet to receive my $50 as well. When I log on to Staples and check the rebate status it simply states, "Validation in progress.". I submitted mine on 11/24.

The only reason I purchased this was because of the e-rebate:
"But with Staples Easy Rebates®, you'll receive your rebate 4-6 weeks after you submit it. And in most cases, you'll receive your rebate even sooner than that."

Still have a week and a half.

I remember purchasing 2 products in the past with e-rebates from Staples and they came as quick as 2 weeks. Of course, its a Holiday season right now so do expect some delay. I still have my hard drive sealed so if it all fails, just return.

I doubt Staples will screw me over on the $50 rebate. At least I hope not. BTW OP, did you do the e-rebate online or did you printout/send in a form?

WGSquallx2002 said:
BTW OP, did you do the e-rebate online or did you printout/send in a form?

Yeah, I'm curious about this too. I've done 10-12 of their Easy Rebates and they have all come through without incident, hopefully they didn't turn over their rebate operations to some shaddy company.

Are people sure the online deal qualified for the rebate? I bought mine at the BM store on Black Friday so I don't know anything about the online deal.

Good luck though.

icamp31 said:
I checked online I'm still at "Validation in progress."

I purchased this online on BF and did the easy rebate at the same time online

Ditto

Did the easy rebate a bit after BF, waited until the drives actually showed up.

Rambaldi said:

Same here.

You're all boned. I've never gotten rebates that were incorrectly rejected, even after complaining to both the store/retailer and the manufacturer.

Well... that was a few years ago. Maybe you're not boned, but it's going to be a major hassle. :( sorry guys

My rebate also says "Validation in Progress" for the Maxtor 200GB. However I also purchased the 60-pack DVD+R for $27 with $25 rebate, and I just received a post card in the mail saying that rebate was declared "Invalid", and the reason was "Purchased on wrong date." Well that's funny, 'cause I ordered online on Black Friday, and the shipping invoice that came with both the Maxtor and DVD+R confirmed that they were ordered Black Friday. Time to FIGHT!! :mad:

Both my rebates are also in the Validation Process. I purchased a 4 set cordless phone set as well, which also has a $50 rebate, so I got quite a bit cash waiting on these rebates. With regular old MIR it normally took like 6-8 weeks for them to process all of it, so the easy rebates is probably a similar time. Probably won't get your rebates until january. I think one of the reasons they do it so long is so you don't get the rebate money and then return it.

Well my finger's crossed. This would be a great deal if we got all our rebates. If not, it's really not that hot.

On November 24th, I placed an order on Staples.com, which contained four items from the Staples Black Friday promotion. Two of these were for the 200 GB hard drive and the MAG 32" LCD. Each of these items has at least one corresponding Easy Rebate, which I also submitted on November 24th right after I placed the order.

A few days later, the Easy Rebate tracking site showed that all of my rebate submissions were invalid. I called Staples main Customer support and the Staples agent then called the Easy Rebate department to determine the problem. I was told that there was a problem with the rebate system and that I had indeed entered the correct rebate information. They said they would resubmit the rebates for me.

I was given a new rebate tracking number for their resubmission. Now, when I try to check the status of my rebates only one of the five rebates is showing up in the list.

So, as of right now, I have no documented proof that I have submitted the rebates. I found a phone number to call Easy Rebates directly and spoke to a rep. He informed me that I won't be able to see the status of any of the rebates until after the return period has expired. So I said, "Let me get this straight...all of my rebates have been submitted correctly, on the same day the purchase was made, and now you can't tell me the status of them until the product return period is over? He said, "That is correct. You won't see the status until January."

This hardly seems fair to me because as of this point I have no documented proof that they have any of my rebate submissions even in their system.

I sent the above information through their online question form two weeks ago and never received a reply. I hardly feel that this is good business practice and I want to know what else I can do to escalate the issue.

I am not saying that I want the rebates now, I just want to know that they at least have them in their system and that they WILL BE PROCESSED.

Thanks for everyone's replies...I used the easy-(bullshit)-Rebate.

Not to sound masochistic, but I'm glad some other people got boned too...we can mope together!

I guess I'm going to go and call the big S...

Well look what came in the mail.

A nice little post card:
“Dear Customer:
Thank you for participating in this promotion. Unfortunately we could not honor your request due to the following reason(s):
Select Maxtor Hard Drives - You cannot submit for the selected promo, please select a different promo. Exceeds limit: Maxtor 200GB 7200RPM internal."

This is BS as it was advertised with this model hard drive. I'm sending an email off tomorrow. It was advertised online as being $20 after discounts and rebates. Of course the website still states; "Validation in progress".

Same here, purchased two (3 was the limit) and filled out the easyrebate online right after.

Personally, if I receive this stupid rejection, I'm going to email them and let them know that:

a. My lawyer has been itching to sue the shit out of them. Legal fees alone that they will have to pay will far exceed the rebate that they owe me.

b. I will also be contacting my CC company and having the charges reversed. Not only will they not get the drives back, but they'll be out the couple hundred or whatever it was I spent that morning.

I suggest you all do at least b. This rebate crap is beyond stupid and just because its online is no excuse for them to be lazy!

If I get one of those in lieu of a rebate I will be forwarding copies of all documentation to the Washington State Attorney General's office, Division of Consumer Fraud. I urge all buyers to do the same to your respectful state legal entity.

Rambaldi said:

Same thing. I just got the post card this weekend. WTF??!!

Just return the drives without a reciept if you didnt get a rebate.

Youll get 110 plus tax back and they were only 70.

bartsimsonii said:
Just return the drives without a reciept if you didnt get a rebate.

Youll get 110 plus tax back and they were only 70.

Wouldn't they charge a restocking fee. Or need the upc if it was mailed in. Or not accept a high-priced quickly outdated item without a receipt?

if you did the easy rebate you should still have all of that

if i recall you dont send anything in

Uh-oh. I bought it at the store and did the easy-rebate dealy and everything looks fine on the site ("Validation in Progress". Also bought the DVD+R pack and the Samsung widescreen monitor. I hope there's not a postcard waiting for me at home

c.d.e said:
Wouldn't they charge a restocking fee. Or need the upc if it was mailed in. Or not accept a high-priced quickly outdated item without a receipt?

No. Yes, but most used the easy rebate I assume. No.

The rebates for my Maxtor 200Gb drive and 19" widescreen Samsung are now both "Validation complete.". If this is anything like last year, it should change to "Check mailed." in a few days. :cool:

My rebate is listed as approved for this, just waiting for the check...my rebate for the samsung printer I bought at the same time is still "validation in progress"

Hmm my two rebates finally show validation complete. We'll see how long it takes to get the checks now.

It still says validation in process for the Hard Drive but other stuff I bought at the same time says validation complete....I guess they are really busy.

The easy rebates for all three of the items I bought (including the maxtor drive) flipped to 'Validation Complete' today.

i read that some of those samsung printers had iffy rebates. I'd really jump on one as I'm spending a lot on ink. They seem to run dry when not used daily (I print only 1-3 times a week in small increments). (I'm using PIXMA IP3000 and MP130's btw). :(

i just got my $200 dollar rebate from meijer for my 20" LCD TV, It said they were going to send out on the 27th, then the 25th, then the 29th, then the 12th, then the 5th and I received it yesterday morning. I don't normally do rebates but I figured I'd give this a shot since it's meijers and they are a pretty legit company.

Back