Reactivation

cherrypik

Limp Gawd
I had to reset my bios and Vista is telling me to reactivate and provide a new product key. What are my options?

I just did this last night / this morning.

Internet Activation will not work. You can try it, it will fail, and you'll be given options. Choose to activate via telephone. Choose your location. You'll be presented with a dialogue box with a phone number to call and a 48 number sequence in it. Call the number. I had to enter the number via automated system, which fails, to be connected to a live operator. Just tell the operator that you replaced a motherboard and Vista is requiring re-activation. They'll ask you how many computers you're running Vista on, say one. ;-)

You'll have to give the complete number to the agent, which sucks. Then, they give you a 48 digit number in return, which you enter into the box. Hit next and you're re-activated.

Rumor has it this can be done about 10 times before MS cuts you off. No one knows for sure, as I don't think it's actually spelled out anywhere.

A 48 digit number for activation is ridiculous. That's the only part of the process which sucks.

Oh, and FYI you do NOT need to "speak" the numbers to the automated system, just punch them in 6 at a time, wait for the Windows "ding" noise, and continue punching away, ignoring the automated female voice completely. ;-)

Cheers!

Thanks. I just did it but got transferred to a human. Asked where I purchased it, how many computers its running on and what hardware did I change recently. Kind of painless but still BS and a waste of my time.

Back