Really struggling with Razer Mamba

cyberslag5k

Limp Gawd
I've had my Mamba (the original, not the 2012) for about a week now, and I'm really struggling to adjust to it. I'm pretty close to just going back to my simple 3-button Logitech optical, but I thought I'd share my issues to see if anyone can offer any insights on them.

1. I feel significantly less precise with this mouse. I think it might be because it's so heavy, and is thus a little unwieldy. It takes me a few adjustments to find a small button or a link or something, whereas before I could just snap right to it. I've upped the DPI to 1600 and added an acceleration of 8, which has helped a bit, but I still find myself frequently saying "I wouldn't have missed that with my old mouse". The higher DPI does help a bit in gaming, but in every day use, the mouse is just feels a bit more awkward.

2. The mouse wheel requires a great deal of pressure to click. It requires me to change my grip slightly get focus the force required to click it, and doing so while moving the mouse is awkward. It often results in my inadvertently right-clicking.

I was hoping that with use these issues would go away. It's been almost a week now. They might have a little bit, but I'm starting to question whether this is the mouse for me.

As far as mousing surfaces go, I was using an ExactMat, but the mouse would go unresponsive for a few seconds if it was ever lifted slightly (something I do frequently), so I bought a Sphex (which is pretty sweet). It still has these issues (I've contacted Razer and am waiting for a reply), but they're better. It doesn't have that problem on a regular table top, but the Sphex makes it super smooth, so I've been using that.

Has anyone else noticed these issues, or anything similar? Are these things that I'll just get used to? Should I change my grip somehow? Or am I just needlessly putting myself through frustration, and should just return to my old mouse which was working fine?

Last edited:
Should the acceleration be 0? Otherwise when you move around the cursor wont go at a constant speed.

The mousewheel thing sounds like it's either just a bad mouse or it's just the wrong type for you. You shouldn't have to totally adjust the way you use something, as thats probably not going to make you comfortable when using it, especially if not using your normal grip style. Its not like there aren't other mice that might be better for you. As you are in the first week you can probably just return it.

Suppose the real question is why are you changing your mouse? Is something wrong with the logitech? Are there certain features missing that you would prefer to have?

- Higher DPI - which will take getting used to is the biggest one.
- Side buttons - Personally I hate using a mouse that doesn't have buttons 4 and 5 on the side for navigating the web / file folders. Very useful for games as well.
- Another big feature is on the fly DPI adjustment using buttons on the top of the mouse (which razer mice tend to neglect). Useful for sniping in FPS or games with uneven input (looking at you BF3)
- Hardware macros are nice but can be emulated through software (autohotkey)

You shouldn't have to change your grip style you are accustomed to for a new mouse - get the mouse that matches your existing grip. If you've always used a palm grip and feel that you are effective using that grip, continue to do so.

As Death mentioned - you should always have acceleration set to 0 in both windows (enhance pointer precision to off) and in the mouse drivers. If you HAVE gotten used to it being on, it would be worthwhile to relearn to use a mouse without it. Acceleration exists for people with low dpi mice with a palm grip so that they don't have to pick up the mouse to move from one edge of the screen to the other - problem is this is awful for gaming (and in general) as you never develop muscle memory for "I have to move this much to get this much response". Never move your mouse sensitivity in windows above the 6th notch either as this will cause interpolation / pixel skipping.

If you prefer using low DPI with a palm grip, get an oversized mouse pad and a mouse that can handle high tracking speeds (many can't) and a sensor with no negative/positive acceleration.

I would add to that that upping your DPI does take getting used to (and may be something you've done by moving from the basic mouse) and that having seemingly lower accuracy is a result. It seems crucial to note that diving to another mouse right away for that is not a good idea as it is a symptom of the DPI, not the mouse. The fact is you've suddenly lessened the force to get to something by quite a bit (especially that last really precise bit) and it IS harder/takes more refined muscle movements. I'm not sure the value in getting used to it over just lowering your DPI when on desktop though.

I would also note while talking pointer speed that odd numbers will round somewhat randomly, so if you really want to get used to a mouse the only reasonable speeds are 2, 4, and 6 out of 11 with 6 of course being the best.

I will say though that while the mouse wheel on my razer naga epic poses pretty little issue pressing in, the conventional cheap wheel (like on mice at work) remains the easiest click for me. This is just the nature of going to something new, you will likely have to adjust to this as well regardless of what mouse you move to.

Back