Reapply thermal paste?

SeaFoam

Supreme [H]ardness
I got an EVGA x58 LE and a ton of shin-etsu, should I take the NB/SB/mosfet sinks off and reapply with this stuff or just leave it?

It's up to you and how you feel about warranty coverage. I don't know EVGA's policy on 'tampering' with their boards.

Personally, it's the first thing I do when I get a board. I guess I'm just pessimistic about manufacturing and assembly detail from all the years of poor application of TIM or even worse; the dreaded chewed-bubblegum crap. But then again, I'm a modder so I'm always ripping things apart. Mobos as well. ;)

As long as the board is complete and back to stock, like if you have a waterblock on there and take it off to put the original back on it is still covered. I would assume that it would be covered as well.

I got an EVGA x58 LE and a ton of shin-etsu, should I take the NB/SB/mosfet sinks off and reapply with this stuff or just leave it?

I had never really thought about it much or really cared until I got into OCing, then the first time I did it on a P45...The stuff had to be caked on there an inch thick, and the thermal pad on the mosfet's didn't inspire me for sure. By changing the TIM on the NB I got around a 8C drop, and even more when I added a 40mm fan to it. On a side note, I think temps could be even better, since the mounts seem quite lose on my board.

Back