Rear speaker solutions

Lyrids

Limp Gawd
I have a set of Logitech Z-5300's and never had to set them up in my room at home until now. At first I just set up all five speakers in front of me but I figured it was a waste of money if I wasn't utilizing the 5.1. I have tried placing the speakers behind me on top of boxes and it's working okay for now but I have bumped them off the boxes a few times and it's definitely taking up space. The wall behind me is too far to mount against and I've had trouble looking for speaker stands. Creative thoughts and ideas encouraged.

While I'm talking about these speakers I'd like to address a minor nuance that I started to notice a few weeks ago. When listening to music, the rear speakers are noticeably softer than the front speakers. I've checked all of my program and driver settings and nothing indicates that this is how it should be. The watt distribution is even among the speakers except for the center speaker. My sound card is an Audigy vanilla.

Lyrids said:
I have a set of Logitech Z-5300's and never had to set them up in my room at home until now. At first I just set up all five speakers in front of me but I figured it was a waste of money if I wasn't utilizing the 5.1. I have tried placing the speakers behind me on top of boxes and it's working okay for now but I have bumped them off the boxes a few times and it's definitely taking up space. The wall behind me is too far to mount against and I've had trouble looking for speaker stands. Creative thoughts and ideas encouraged.

While I'm talking about these speakers I'd like to address a minor nuance that I started to notice a few weeks ago. When listening to music, the rear speakers are noticeably softer than the front speakers. I've checked all of my program and driver settings and nothing indicates that this is how it should be. The watt distribution is even among the speakers except for the center speaker. My sound card is an Audigy vanilla.

Your first dilema is something that everyone that has attempted to hook up a home theater correctly has been through. Let's start off.. Is your room square? If so.. you can run a pair of speaker wires for the rears right off the reciever.. all the way around the room along the wall or even under the carpet. Forget about the boxes.. you shouldn't be using boxes for speaker stands anyways. lol. If the rear wall is too far back because you don't have enough speaker wire.. then go get some more.. might as well get a couple spools.. this way you can get creative as far as running the wires. It's better to have to cut the wire if it's too long than to have to splice pieces together it's too short.

Better yet.. do you have a picture of your room?

I get what you're saying, but unfortunately Logitech felt mid-range users were to be treated differently than those buying their most expensive speaker systems, and as a result the speaker wires are hardwired into the satellites. I have one extension cable lying around and could buy another if I had to. Even if I did mount them to the wall behind me, I'm still a little worried that they might be too far back for reasonable sound reception. I'll try and get a picture up.

Lyrids said:
I get what you're saying, but unfortunately Logitech felt mid-range users were to be treated differently than those buying their most expensive speaker systems, and as a result the speaker wires are hardwired into the satellites. I have one extension cable lying around and could buy another if I had to. Even if I did mount them to the wall behind me, I'm still a little worried that they might be too far back for reasonable sound reception. I'll try and get a picture up.

Ahh.. I got ya.. never owned Logitech's myself.. I think the only way to do it would be to use some extentions or rewire them yourself. Whenever I feel like playing a game in 5.1.. I temporarily move my coffee table behind my computer chair. I then lay the surrounds on it. I probably wouldn't mount the speakers on the wall if they are "too" far behind you bur if you could get the pics of your room... that would be good too.

magnetik said:
Ahh.. I got ya.. never owned Logitech's myself.. I think the only way to do it would be to use some extentions or rewire them yourself. Whenever I feel like playing a game in 5.1.. I temporarily move my coffee table behind my computer chair. I then lay the surrounds on it. I probably wouldn't mount the speakers on the wall if they are "too" far behind you bur if you could get the pics of your room... that would be good too.

Haha that is EXACTLY what I had in mind, I guess I'm gonna put that in action.

Pictures

Whole thing
wideside8lt.jpg

Side
side3tm.jpg

Rear
rear8dh.jpg

I think a cheap foldup table from home depot would work ok. (maybe even some metro wire shelving) I think it probably should be something you can move easily because it doesn't look like you can put something permanently back there. Maybe small enough you can put where your laundry basket and that chair is. Then when you want surround.. you can just pull it out and lay your speakers on it. (I see what you mean about cardboard boxes though) lol.

Well if your up for it and have some supplies you can make some. Im in a new neighborhood and so I went out and grabbed a PVC pipe and some wood. after you get that its just a matter of drilling 2 holes. heres some pics. Nothing great, but better than nothing.

picture0151ha.jpg

picture0101ns.jpg

Back