Reasonably Priced Dac Recommendation

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to make the switch from using my onboard soundcard to using a DAC. I'm looking for something with a dedicated headphone amplifier that also will allow me to connect my Audioengine A2s. $200 is the absolute maximum I would like to spend and if I could cut that in half that would be even better. New or eBayed equipment works equally as well for me. I've done a little research and have just become lost with all of the options available.

Is a DAC the best option, or am I better off going with a high end soundcard or a lower end 2.1 or 5.1 receiver in the same price range. I may add a sub in the future, and am not going to switch out the A2s as they have been fantastic.

Is a DAC the best option, or am I better off going with a high end soundcard or a lower end 2.1 or 5.1 receiver in the same price range. I may add a sub in the future, and am not going to switch out the A2s as they have been fantastic
I've had a friend who uses a DAC and I have always used soundcards. IMO a high end soundcard and a mid to low end dac that are around the same price are about the same. The question really at that point would be do you want an extra device by your computer or do you want internal? At least thats IMO. With a DAC I guess you can use it on something else which can be an advantage though I would personally never want to remove something from my computer to make that use have a point.

Back