Reasonably Priced DAC Recommendations

weuntouchable

[H]ard|Gawd
I would like to make the switch from using my onboard soundcard to using a DAC. I'm looking for something with a dedicated headphone amplifier that also will allow me to connect my Audioengine A2s. $200 is the absolute maximum I would like to spend and if I could cut that in half that would be even better. New or eBayed equipment works equally as well for me. I've done a little research and have just become lost with all of the options available.

Is a DAC the best option, or am I better off going with a high end soundcard or a lower end 2.1 or 5.1 receiver in the same price range. I may add a sub in the future, and am not going to switch out the A2s as they have been fantastic.

I can't help but ask what you goal is.. not path and the gear, but what _really_ do you want.

Good sound?

How exactly did you determine that you need a DAC?

I think you will be sorely disappointed in the difference a Dac will make.

I can't help but ask what you goal is.. not path and the gear, but what _really_ do you want.

Good sound?

How exactly did you determine that you need a DAC?

I think you will be sorely disappointed in the difference a Dac will make.
I'm looking for better sound quality than the onboard sound offers. Also looking for a dedicated headphone amp to get better sound from my headphones.

I haven't determined that I need a DAC. As my OP said I may consider a receiver or high end soundcard if that is a better option.

Back