Receiver + speaker suggestion.

DaRat

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to get some nice loud speakers and a stereo receiver for my computer (not surround because i dont need it for music)

Any suggestions?

I want to make this one loud ass computer system while at school, because the rap music that is blaring throughout my house will kill me.

I plan on using a y RCA cable, but the receiver can have optival input as well. So if anyone has some suggestions for getting this done around 300$ let me know. It's for music only, so i really need a dolby 7.1 crap thing. I would get one of them for movies.

Remember the louder the better (monitor speakers of some sort i would think..)

well, if loud is the only thing you want, i'd go to my local "guitar center" (or similar place) and look at some pro audio gear... dollar per decibel ratio is probably best with that... tell the guy that you are looking for volume... they'll know where to point you...

i personally would be a little kinder to my ears... :)

Why not just get some closed headphones that you can crank up and destroy your hearing within 12 hours? It will save you a lot of money in the end.
For less then 100$ I can recommend you a headphone that will put out over 140db.

Anyway, with a budget of 300$, the price of a receiver is almost at your buget leaving you with almost nothing for speakers.

And as always, be kind to others who do not share your affinity to loud music.

I don't think he's going to be able to get PA Monitors for $300 :-\

I took advantage of BB's open box 30% coupon and managed to snag a Pioneer receiver for about half price. That's hooked up to a pair of Infinity Primus 150's and a JBL E250P. Everything said, done, and shipped was about $450. Loud comes at a price, and even if I found something loud, I'd at least make sure it wasn't distorted beyond recognition.

Well, i want it for parties too.. Kind of figure my room has to be the go to room after parties this year, so i need speakers not headphones.

Thanks for the help so far, keep suggestions coming. I gotta check these things out.

Edit: lets increase the price range then.. around 500 sound good?

Let me clarify, I was referring to two monitors + amp, everything he'd need to get it running. And he'd be hard pressed to find all that for less than $300 (or anything worth getting). :rolleyes:

Let me clairfy how loud i'd like this "system"

Louder than lets say one of those 300 watt 5 disc changer systems that Sony or JVC would sell..Thos all in one stereo things..

Would a 2x100 receiver and 100 watt each speakers do this?

DaRat said:
Let me clairfy how loud i'd like this "system"

Louder than lets say one of those 300 watt 5 disc changer systems that Sony or JVC would sell..Thos all in one stereo things..

Would a 2x100 receiver and 100 watt each speakers do this?

Those "300 watt 5 disc changer" systems are rated at max output through 4 or more speakers, so realistic rms output through any given speaker is much lower. I'd either look for speakers with high sensitivity or just get one extreme amp. Output SPL doesn't scale linearly with power (silly logarithmic scale, how I loathe thee).

If you're trying to provide music for a party, I'd make sure the receiver has a subwoofer output as well. I guess I'd have to agree with ccotenj if what you want is sheer spl. An attractive and convenient option would be a powered cabinet (ex. the JBL EON line of speakers). Then again, I don't know how big your idea of a "party" is. Remember... Noise Complaints suck. I know from personal experience :rolleyes:.

Im talking like hallway parties and things. Nothing can be worse than the Pyle Pro speakers we use for our big basement parties in our frat house.. man those things are trash. Our whole DJ setup is terrible.

Edit: I take it all i really need is an amp and the speakers then? Receiver I really dont need if im going this DJ route? Just hook the computer to the amp, then some speakers, and get ready for some boom?

Oh hell, just get some "professional" class cerwin vega's. You know, the ones made for concerts... the ones not rated for "residential" use. Have all your frat/prat friends chip in a few bucks.... lol

http://www.cerwinvega.com/products/newpro/index.html

You and all your friends can go deaf in less then a night of partying. Maybe you can ask one of your teachers for extra credit if you do a little scientific research on how long it takes for audible damage. I'de love to know myself.

130dB SPL.......... YE HA!

citizen said:
death!? sounds like one helluva party, where do i sign up?
haha, my spelling never fails me. deaf for all those who did'nt already guess.

death, deaf, neither one sounds particularly appealing... :rolleyes:

having been there, i understand the "loud" desire (heck, i'm old now, and i still rattle the windows :) )... but try and remember that once you damage your ears, they are damaged for good...

taiguy: with active monitors, an external amp won't be an issue... possibly you disagree, which is ok... but he could pick any number of active monitors that would be PLENTY loud for a dorm room for less than 300 bucks...

Deaf ? If you want deaf, If you want the Best, the Biggest, the Baddest of the Bad,,,
Only one will do,,,,the original ear splitting kick ass party speaker - The Altec A-7 !
Check ebay, probably find them for less than a grand.
Or go for a new set.........http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp
You will be THE party room and they will get you girls :)

BoBo 007 said:
Deaf ? If you want deaf, If you want the Best, the Biggest, the Baddest of the Bad,,,
Only one will do,,,,the original ear splitting kick ass party speaker - The Altec A-7 !
Check ebay, probably find them for less than a grand.
Or go for a new set.........http://www.alteclansing.com/legacy/specs.asp
You will be THE party room and they will get you girls :)
I don't know, it has a lower SPL rating with lower power handling then the Cerwin's..... so on paper, the cerwins can go about 11.5dB higher tops.

DaRat, im starting to get a picture of whats going here. go to room for after parties, hall way parties... youre in a fraternity arent you. what house and what school? im in fiji at michigan, and a guy down the hall from me had MTX's with a pioneer reciever. he added a sub later on and it was loud for sure. audio quality was fine as well. when you get on forums like this people will always try and talk you into the highest end stuff but i think i know exactly what youre talking about... been to that party, drank those beers, etc, etc. keep an eye on circuit city ads, those MTX monitor 10's go on sale somewhat often and you can pick up a pair for a pretty good price. hope this helps.

phi kappa tau at rider.. Yeah, the room after parties.. Last semester my room was eh, and i plan on changing it this year. Maybe include a stripper pole.

Thanks for the help.. Just want some loud stuff that sounds decent and will kick the shit out of most of the other "systems" in the house

bump, any more suggestions? Went to guitar center today.. ouch it's pricey as hell for set up..

2 yamaha br12's (i think) and some pretty decent amp, for 725.

Back