Recently, some posters accused me of being at fault for my hardware woes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ladyhawk

Limp Gawd
Those accusations were made in THIS THREAD.

In order to restore my good name and to make sure my friends, family and clientele continue to have faith in me, I felt the need to write this post explaining exactly how I care for computer hardware. I'm sure once you've read it, you will see my hardware woes have nothing to do with me and everything to do with a combination of bad luck and shoddy components.

The first thing I do when I return home with a new add-in board is clean the board vigorously by rubbing it on the carpet for about thirty seconds. Not only does this clean the printed circuit board, it has the added benefit of improving electrical conductivity through electrostatic discharge. It will also remove any superfluous parts. Many hardware manufacturers add extra doohickeys to their PCBs to make them look more impressive. A good rub on the floor will remove any unnecessary capacitors or silicon chips and give your new board that extra shine!

Now the add-in board is ready to install.

You should have already purchased an adequate case. I always pick the smallest case available with no extra frills like cooling fans. If electrical components are closer together, it makes sense that signals will reach their destinations faster, improving performance.

It's also good to make sure the case accumulates a lot of dust bunnies for insulation against intense cold and heat. I accelerate the process by collecting down feathers from my Amazon parrot. If there aren't enough naturally-moulted feathers available, plucking your parrot (or other fine, feathered friend) is a viable alternative.

Do you have spare change lying around? How about screws whose purpose you forgot? It's a good idea to throw them into the case to facilitate proper electrical conductivity. About three dollars in spare change (no quarters!) and 6-10 various-sized screws are optimal.

If your computer isn't already on, boot it. During this process, it is advisable to plug and unplug any PS/2 devices you may have to ensure proper connectivity. Also, while the hard drives are spinning, pick up the case and repeatedly drop it from a height of about 12 inches. This will settle the plates into their proper place and add a few extra performance RPMs.

While the system is on, remove the panel to gain access to the motherboard. (Be sure not to touch the chassis or you will get a nasty shock!)

Before you begin, you will need the following tools: a hammer, a chisel, a toothbrush, a bobby pin, an ice pick, four nails and a trebuchet.

Take a deep breath and use the hammer, chisel and icepick to remove any back panels that will interfere with the placement of your new add-in board. If the panel is stubborn, it might require a few rounds with the trebuchet. Likewise, use the tools to clear away wires and motherboard components that might interfere with the installation of your new card.

Line up the card with the slot and give it a few whacks with the hammer. If it doesn't seat firmly, use the bobby pin and four nails to secure it firmly to the motherboard. When you're finished, sweep up any accumulated debris with the toothbrush.

Your operating system should immediately recognize the new component and ask for the proper drivers. If it doesn't, locate a small jumper on your motherboard labeled CMOS and move it to the "CLEAR CMOS" position. Remember to do this while your system is ON. If the system isn't ON, it won't work.

Now you have a spiffy new piece of hardware. If you're lucky and if the hardware wasn't constructed by a bunch of monkeys wearing lab coats, you'll be good to go.

I hope this little essay removes any doubts as to my competence regarding the proper handling of hardware. Please, before you blame a person for their hardware woes, get to know a little bit about them, their history with hardware and their mad hardware-handling skillz.

Your obedient servant,

Ladyhawk

Dam, go outside and get away from the pc, seriously.

You made Limp Gawd in 15 days and you're telling me to get away from the PC? :eek:

I finished a creative writing project and made five necklaces...what did you do?

Ladyhawk, I didnt read what you have just written as I understand what has happened.
Seriously dont worry about it.
I know this Sapphire scam has been burning you for some time now and you feel the need to be justified.
Regardless of what anyone else posts, you were already are justified in your actions and there is no slur on your own capabilities.

It looks like its causing a lot of stress, I'd hate to see you go off the rails here.
The topic is best dropped as it is more likely to end badly than well.
All my best, and smile :)

You made Limp Gawd in 15 days and you're telling me to get away from the PC? :eek:

I finished a creative writing project and made five necklaces...what did you do?

How long it took you to write that post above is how long it took me to make
limp gawd. :p

Don't feel bad mate, that's what many folks do here. Similar people made claim to my inability to control my hardware when I kept getting bsod's with ati's drivers. Lo andbehold I am proven right as people all over the net started crawling out of the woodwork with the same problems with 4850's in crossfire and getting bsod's with ati's last 2 driver versions. I still have not received an apology for that one and they know who they are. You know what I did get though? I got banned for pissing some random admin off apparently who I don't know or why, no clue either, but hey it's their board so whatever.

Those accusations were made in THIS THREAD.

In order to restore my good name and to make sure my friends, family and clientele continue to have faith in me, I felt the need to write this post explaining exactly how I care for computer hardware. I'm sure once you've read it, you will see my hardware woes have nothing to do with me and everything to do with a combination of bad luck and shoddy components.

*snip*

Your obedient servant,

Ladyhawk

All I can say is :confused::confused::confused:

I have always heard that dust bunnies were bad for computers......:confused:

Maybe you should hose it out?

The problem is actually not the way you treat your hardware or system. Just because you had a bad luck or you can't get your system running right, you shouldn't just make a random general conclusion like "company XYZ is bad, company ABC is much better than company XYZ."

The truth is, there are a lot of people who didn't have any problem with company XYZ and there are also people who have problems with company ABC. Just because you had a problem with a company, you shouldn't actually spead FUD by saying that "company XYZ sucks". Having an attitude like "I know what I'm doing" or "I'm an expert in the field" will just make the matter worse.

In some cases, you might think that you have done everything to troubleshoot the problem but actually there are other solutions that you never think about before. Instead of posting in a forum to tell people to avoid company XYZ just because you had a problem with them, you should actually seek help from others to solve the problem.

Someone on the Internet is wrong! All kidding aside. The last 2 or 3 systems I've built I've had problems were the first few I haven't had any. Who knows what the issue is when your dealing with enthusiast level parts.

LadyHawk is my new [H]ero!!!

"Before you begin, you will need the following tools: a hammer, a chisel, a toothbrush, a bobby pin, an ice pick, four nails and a trebuchet."

:p:p:p Hahahhaha.

Then come the usual stupid-shit internet thugs that come in here and make their usual 15-IQ-point contribution to Hardforums.com.

What makes this thread so win, is that there are people here are bathing in their own fail because they didn't read the post.

The problem is actually not the way you treat your hardware or system. Just because you had a bad luck or you can't get your system running right, you shouldn't just make a random general conclusion like "company XYZ is bad, company ABC is much better than company XYZ."

The truth is, there are a lot of people who didn't have any problem with company XYZ and there are also people who have problems with company ABC. Just because you had a problem with a company, you shouldn't actually spead FUD by saying that "company XYZ sucks". Having an attitude like "I know what I'm doing" or "I'm an expert in the field" will just make the matter worse.

In some cases, you might think that you have done everything to troubleshoot the problem but actually there are other solutions that you never think about before. Instead of posting in a forum to tell people to avoid company XYZ just because you had a problem with them, you should actually seek help from others to solve the problem.

And then there is the chance that the person hating on the company holds that as an opinion. Even a company that makes parts that are 99% DOA will have one happy customer, do the same rules apply? This guy had a terrible experience with Sapphire, and documented it thoroughly enough to show who was clearly at fault. If it isn't proper to call a company out for its shitty customer service, then what is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back