Recertified 500gb SATA HD: $100+$5.29 / 30 Day Warranty

Where does it say 30 day warranty? Can you link or describe please?
Has anyone jumped on this grenade? If so does it include the coupon for extending the warranty? How much and how long?

From the Egg

This item is covered by Newegg.com's Limited 30-Day Return Policy.

* Return for refund within: 30 days
* Return for replacement within: 30 days

That's the Newegg return warranty, but I'm sure it's longer for the manufacturer.

Cons: Unless you get a 10k rpm drive or higher.. Access times won't improve with 7200RPM drives.

No shit. :D

I could see the discount being nice for a home RAID5 array, not sure I'm crazy about recerts outside of that. Yeah it's kind of an odd use but there you can stand the failure if it does happen and chances of two simultaneous failures seem like they'd be about the same as hitting a bad batch of new HDD's.

WTF.. Why would i want a refurb 500GB harddrive when I can get a NEW one for $9 more?

When are these things going too be brand new for 100.00 been at 120 forever.

Per above, frys I believe, had 500s dip to 109 for one day a few weeks back. If I wasnt' already full on with 750s and 500s, I would have grabbed some. My 5 year warranty sata2's cost me $119-$129 a pop during a period that ranged from 3-6 months ago (i.e. I was buying drives november, december, january) for 19 or 29 more, retail boxed, even.

That's the Newegg return warranty, but I'm sure it's longer for the manufacturer.
WDC's policy is that recerts carry the remainder of the warranty from the drive they replace, or 30 days, whichever is greater. Since these are re-certs that are being sold direct to channel (i.e. returns from customers that WD has too many of) the warranty will be the remainder of 3 year (if you consider these "BULK") or 1 year (if you consider these "retail") as these are the 'KS' line of drives, or, more than likely, NOT AT ALL. (As I reveal at the end)

http://support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp
WD Caviar, WD Caviar SE, WD Caviar SE16 BB, LB, JB, PB, JD, JS, KS, KD, KS, ABKS, AABS, AAJS, AAKS, AABB, AAJB, AVBS, AVJS, AVBB, AVJB 3-year 1-year [extend]

WDC said:
Your Use of the Product

WD will have no liability for any Product returned if WD determines that:

* The product was stolen from WD.
* The asserted defect:
1. is not present,
2. cannot reasonably be fixed because of damage occurring when the Product is in the possession of someone other than WD, or
3. is attributable to misuse, improper installation, alteration (including removing or obliterating labels and opening or removing external covers (unless authorized to do so by Western Digital or an authorized Service Center)), accident or mishandling while in the possession of someone other than WD.
* The Product was not sold to you as new.
One could argue that recertified drives are understood to not be "NEW"

In fact, WDC agrees
WDC said:
If an alphabetic character appears after the Product date code (example: 05 Apr 99 X), the Product has been re-certified and may not be subject to the terms of WD's warranty as it applies only to products sold as new.

Aren't those 7200.9's? I've read that they're shoddy.

Even if that were true (i mean, these drives being 7200.9)... 30 days or no warranty vs 5 year warranties is STILL more helpful.
Realize this. These recertified drives are drives that have ALREADY FAILED ONCE. So the concept of "But WD makes a better product, and I'd rather have a cheap WD drive that I "think" won't fail, even though it already has, once" over a protected for longer than I'll care drive that might, just seems faulty to me.

I'd rather wait 3 months and get a new seagate that'll be in warranty in 2012 for $100 when I can, then buy a wd that'll be out of warranty before this christmas for $100 now.

My 400gb sgts that were supposed to be 7200.9s were 7200.10s. My maxLine's are of course, no sgt, so I can't weigh in on that.

I have 100s of harddrives in duty @ my co-lo sites. (100 x 750GB 7200.10s, 200 x 400GB 7200.9s, 100 x 500gb maxlines), ALL of these drives are originals, still in service.

On my main system (personal use) I have 6 x 500gb maxlines, and a 400GB 7200.10 sgt. The 7200.10 is a replacement for a failed 7200.9, 6 months in. Of course, since I don't build my systems without a backup plan, I didn't lose anything (in fact, the drive technically didn't fail, it just popped up a SMART diagnostics error, but no data was lost or corrupted).

What good is it to spend $100 on a hard-drive when in 31 days, you are SOL?

All drives I purchase have 5 year warranties. On our economy machines for the "sub $500" user, we STILL use 5 yr drives, whether that be raptors, maxlines, or seagates.

.10's when I checked in store, no clue what they ship from the website.

The model number would stand to reason that it's 7200.9.

If I were to use it as a storage drive (as opposed to OS drive), what are the downsides? Is it loud, slow, or outmoded?

oh damn so tempting. Dont really care if its "re-certified". I have only seen one HD go bad in my life, even counting the time I worked in a computer repair shop. Maybe its just luck.

oh damn so tempting. Dont really care if its "re-certified". I have only seen one HD go bad in my life, even counting the time I worked in a computer repair shop. Maybe its just luck.

Must be luck. I've been working in a computer repair shop, a quite busy one for the past month and a half, and drives we see drives die left and right. We do an MHDD scan on almost every drive we take in, especially if it's a 2.5" drive. If it's got too many slow sectors, or some bad sectors, we let the customer know their drive is bad.

Most of the bad drives we see are notebook drives. For desktop drives, the ones that are most frequently bad are Maxtors; specifically though, the thin 3.5 inch models they were selling for a while.

We almost exclusively use Western Digital 3.5" and 2.5" drives as replacements, and they've been working out excellent for us.

Well, if you buy one of these, you'll have another drive that went bad at one time or another.

LOL love how they use the term recertified instead of refurbished as if to make it sound better.

I have yet to have a any hd problems. That includes 4 of those wd250's from woot, too.

Back