Recomended Micro motherboard? 2 listed. anymore?

[CaM]Spoon

Limp Gawd
Hi guys.
Just need help since i know nothing about motherboards other then the basics.
Right now its coming down to these 2 motherboards. I looked at MSI which is one of my favorite makes but they pretty much just make hardcore motherboards and the cheapest one was 160 dollers which is out of the question.

Asus P5L-MX -$89CDN
http://usa.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=194&model=1320&modelmenu=1

Abit SG-95 -$69CDN
http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/products.php?categories=1&model=328

Putting a intel duo E6300 in it. also 2 gig of ram but undecided on normal or maybe OCZ gold series. Ram is so expensive and not sure if its worth blowing so much money.

Anythoughts. And im not heavy on overclocking sooo. Plus the asus uses intel chip which is more attractive to me.

I'm not sure that Abit board supports C2D chips correctly. Maybe the newer E4300 with the 800mhz FSB, but not the 1066mhz bus like the E6300.

If you're OCing, I'd look at the E4300 instead of the E6300. You're going to have more OCing headroom on your motherboard with the 800mhz bus rather than the 1066mhz bus. The 945G isn't known for being a super OCing chipset anyway. I'd say you'd be limited somewhere around 300mhz anyway, hence the quad pumped 200mhz of the E4300 would be better suited to OCing and it has a nice high multiplier.

lets see if i understand. So these new ones run faster at lower mhz? so less power for speed? So why cant i buy that 4300 and overclock it to the 1060mhz? Or is that extremly pushing it? This is basicly a whole new type of cpu that doesnt rely on the mhz for its speed?
The new 800mhz are better in everway compaired to the 1060? I guess thats the main question.

No, the e4300 is a lower-FSB version of the same architecture. If you remember Pentium4, they came in 400FSB, 533FSB, and 800FSB variants- this is the same thing, but 800 and 1066. The Abit you're looking at doesn't support 1066, meaning it won't support your e6300. The e4300 uses the exact same architecture, but ships with a 400MHz bus speed. The Abit is likelier to support it, though still may not like it because of a lack of BIOS/microcode support.

No, the e4300 is a lower-FSB version of the same architecture. If you remember Pentium4, they came in 400FSB, 533FSB, and 800FSB variants- this is the same thing, but 800 and 1066. The Abit you're looking at doesn't support 1066, meaning it won't support your e6300. The e4300 uses the exact same architecture, but ships with a 400MHz bus speed. The Abit is likelier to support it, though still may not like it because of a lack of BIOS/microcode support.

Yep...that's what I was talking about. Personally, I'd get the Asus out of those two choices.

Great info for me. Thanks alot guys
I was looking at that Abit LG-95 but im not seeing it anywhere in canada. Or states.

Looks nice but not seeing it at any retial stores or websites. I think the asus is best bet. I really learned alot with motherboards. Love these forums.

So would you guys recommend the 4300 or 6300?
6300 is better performance yet 4300 is better for overclocking?

Well, they are pretty close. I'd say the E6300 is probably worth the $10 more, but not much more than that if you're not OCing. If you are going to OC (or think you might in the future), then the E4300 seems to be the better choice with the lower bus speed and higher multiplier.

Personally, I would probably go with the Asua and the E4300 and then OC it up to around 2.6-2.7Ghz and see what happens from there. If you're going to go E6300, I'd do some more research and see when the E6320 is coming out with the larger cache.

That sounds like a good plan. At least year down road ill overclock it if anything.
And man whats up with always new things coming out! OMG! a 6320 now. ahahahah it never ends

[CaM]Spoon;1030542264 said:
That sounds like a good plan. At least year down road ill overclock it if anything.
And man whats up with always new things coming out! OMG! a 6320 now. ahahahah it never ends

6320 is 4mb cache like the 6600 and above. Not sure when they are being released though...might be Q2.

Thanks kirby. I dont think i can wait tll second quater so if no news or sightings happen in next 2 weeks im gonna have to skip. I already orderd the motherbaord and case so next will be ram and cpu.
I think 4300 looks best bet since right out of the box i can easily overclock it to faster then the 6300.

Back