Recommend a Cable Modem

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
So, the past 2 days my internet takes a dump every few minutes. Sometimes it'll last fine for hours, and tonight it does it every 10 minutes.

Well, I cannot ping the 192.168.100.1 interface on the modem when it does it. I can wait it out and it comes back on just fine.

At any rate, to eliminate the theory that it was the service... I unplugged the cable. I can still hit the GUI or ping the interface. So I know it's not dependant upon the service.

Thus, my deduction is the modem sucks and I need a new one.

Anyone recommend a good decent modem? I know I'll have the possibility to get 20 meg here in the future, so as long as it can support that I'd be good.

My old linksys cable model was resetting all the time till it almost die. Cox tech came over to my house to test my modem and it was die. So now I got Scientific Atlantic and it's great. Very strong signal and never had to unplug my modem for over 5 months now. Also SA is part of cisco. I recommend Scientific Atlantic. I also read few post on the broadband forums and many people said this modem is great and works flawlessly.

I've been happy with the Motorola Surfboard series of modems.

I've been happy with the Motorola Surfboard series of modems.

That's what mine is :D
I don't know if it just got old or what the deal is, but I've got no idea why it just sometimes decides to stop responding.

That's what mine is :D
I don't know if it just got old or what the deal is, but I've got no idea why it just sometimes decides to stop responding.
From my own experience, I've had one Motorola Surfboard go bad. It was simply power-cycling itself every 30 minutes or so. Calling the ISP and having the modem reprovisioned wouldn't fix the problem. After replacing the cable modem with a new Motorola Surfboard, things were fine.

Moto Surfboard
Even old Docsis 1 units will do over 34 megs throughput, if I were to purchase one now, I'd probably snag a Docsis 3 one to be ready for when my ISP rolled it out.

The Docsis 2 5120 models were my favorite...but they've been disco'd.

Moto Surfboard
Even old Docsis 1 units will do over 34 megs throughput, if I were to purchase one now, I'd probably snag a Docsis 3 one to be ready for when my ISP rolled it out.

The Docsis 2 5120 models were my favorite...but they've been disco'd.

Mine is a 5120 :D

My Motorola SB5100 has treated me quite well over the last 7 or so years, however its getting replaced with a SB6120 after the new year.

In working with all of those Moto modems along with the Arris, Webstars, and Toshibas, and Linksys. I have seen the Moto be a real work horse. The 5120 holds up like a bear. I know when I replaced my Moto in my home I went with a 6120 and love it.

In working with all of those Moto modems along with the Arris, Webstars, and Toshibas, and Linksys. I have seen the Moto be a real work horse. The 5120 holds up like a bear. I know when I replaced my Moto in my home I went with a 6120 and love it.

Where's the best place to get a 6120 then? Seems most people are recommending it.

All I know is the 5120 is only 3 years old or so... I was personally going to look at these Linksys but if everyone is suggesting these 6120s I may have to go with them.

I've got a Linksys and no complaints at all. Plenty of throughput, doesn't bog down with a lot of connections or anything like that. Only had to reset it once in 4 months or so, and I think that might've really been my ISP or router.

My MOTOROLA SURFboard SB510 has been working great for the last 2 years... I've only had to reboot it twice due to power outages.

Where's the best place to get a 6120 then? Seems most people are recommending it.

All I know is the 5120 is only 3 years old or so... I was personally going to look at these Linksys but if everyone is suggesting these 6120s I may have to go with them.

Buy.com and TigerDirect seem to have them. A few others do too, however seems that no matter what the price, with shipping its going to be $100-110 ish. You may want to try ebay and see if you can pick up one used.

That is about the right price range. I got mine from Moto as a sample so I really couldn't tell you where the "best" place to get the unit from I can tell you that if I was buying it, I would go with Newegg.

Do any of these surf board modems support the comcast digital voice?

The SURFBoard series do not have the ability to act as an ATA, however can be used with the service. You would just need to buy your own ATA or have comcast send you one.

The SURFBoard series do not have the ability to act as an ATA, however can be used with the service. You would just need to buy your own ATA or have comcast send you one.

Sorry what is a ATA? Im not familiar with that term.

Sorry what is a ATA? Im not familiar with that term.

Analog Telephone Adapter. ie. the device that connects to VoIP and presents an analog telephone line to the phones in the house. I don't know if Comcast supports 'bring your own device' for their voice service or if you have to buy an ATA/CM from them, but external ATAs are available and pretty cheap if you wanted to use a different VoIP provider.

Back