Recommend an LGA 775 mATX board for quad-core overclocking

Blahman

[H]ard|Gawd
Need a replacement for my current motherboard to be put in a mATX case instead of my current Shuttle SP35P2 Pro, just want to reuse everything I have except MB and possibly RAM with the expectation that I'll most likely be replacing it once again when Sandy Bridge is back in production, so not looking to go to first-gen i5/i7.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming, Windows Media Center recording/playback.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
Flexible but estimate ~$165 for MB and RAM or <= $80 for just MB. Tax/shipping not included. Cheaper is better, as long as it still fits the bill!

3) Where do you live?
Austin, TX -- no MicroCenter but there is a Frys that may still stock some LGA 775 boards, but would like an idea of what to look for before I go. E-tailers and used boards on FS forums here also an option.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Motherboard: Form factor: Micro ATX, socket: LGA775. Must support 45nm Yorkfield (Q9550). Can be either DDR2 or DDR3, but if DDR3 please recommend which RAM to go with it (should be a 2x4GB DDR3 set). Have DDR2 already.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550 SLB8V (E0)
HSF: Scythe Big Shuriken 120mm
RAM: 2x2GB Corsair DHX PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 (if using a DDR2 board)
GPU: BFG GeForce GTX 285 OC 1GB + EVGA GeForce GTX 285 1GB in SLI (using SLI patch)
Case: Silverstone Grandia GD05 mATX
PSU: [STRIKE=]Corsair HX520W[/s] XFX Black Edition XPS-850W-BES 850W
4 Drives: 1 OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD, 1 Seagate 7200RPM 1.5TB HDD, 1 Seagate 5900RPM 2TB HDD, 1 BluRay/HD-DVD optical drive

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, I would like at least 3.2GHz but 3.6GHz would be great. Hm, can we make 4.0GHz happen?! ;)

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
1920x1080

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
As soon as I get confirmation that my Sandy Bridge CPU and MB orders are canceled :D

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.

Needs a PCI-Express x16 slot for the GPU.
Onboard Gigabit Ethernet
At least 4x SATA 3Gb/s ports, 2x USB 2.0 motherboard headers, and 4x USB 2.0 rear ports.
E-Sata would be nice but not necessary.
Needs 5.1/7.1 analog audio outs and onboard HD Audio.
Overclocking features such as multi/FSB/divider/voltages, etc.
SLI would be nice but I realize they are few and far between on LGA 775. Edit: Now looking at CrossFireX boards to use the SLI patch with.
S3 sleep (suspend to RAM). This is a big problem on my current board and hope it works on its replacement.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes, Win7 x64 Home Premium

Last edited:
I just sold a ASUS P5Q-EM and it met most your necessities minus SLI and on e-SATA on I/O Backplate (but it did come with a PCI bracket).
On the overclocking front I had my [email protected]. I can also confirm S3 Sleep was functioning. Only problem I see is finding one new.

Last edited:
I read about the SLI patch, looks interesting. Doesn't look like there are many CrossFireX mATX LGA 775 either. DFI LanParty JR P45-T2RS and ASUS Maximus II Gene, are there any others? Can't find either for sale.

Anyways, made some tweaks to the OP, have an 850W PSU OTW and now looking at the CrossFireX mATX boards.

Last edited:
Not x-fire, but the p5e-vm hdmi is a micro 775 standard.

Back