Recommend four SATA drives for Sil3114 RAID

sm8000

Gawd
I'm putting together a workstation and wish to use the onboard Sil3114 RAID. This is the motherboard, and it says RAIDs 0, 1, and 0+1 are available.

Side question: Would RAID 10 be possible? "1" a pair of drives and "0" them to the other two?

I need drives with a balance of capacity and speed, but at a reasonable price. I don't think they need to be Raptors, but they've got to be suitable for the work of dual Opteron 246s, 2GB RAM and a FireGL X1 256. Also, I'm eventually going to sell off this rig, so I need good reliability and quick, painless warranty procedure.

What do you suggest for a max. budget of $600? Ideally under $500 for all four if possible.

sm8000 said:
I'm putting together a workstation and wish to use the onboard Sil3114 RAID. This is the motherboard, and it says RAIDs 0, 1, and 0+1 are available.

Side question: Would RAID 10 be possible? "1" a pair of drives and "0" them to the other two?

I need drives with a balance of capacity and speed, but at a reasonable price. I don't think they need to be Raptors, but they've got to be suitable for the work of dual Opteron 246s, 2GB RAM and a FireGL X1 256. Also, I'm eventually going to sell off this rig, so I need good reliability and quick, painless warranty procedure.

What do you suggest for a max. budget of $600? Ideally under $500 for all four if possible.
0+1 is available with that motherboard, so you are able to 0 (stripe) two drives, and then stripe the other two together but separate from the first two, and set one stripe as a mirror of the first. In effect, it's the same thing. In practise, it's slightly different to RAID 10.

Back