Recommend me a chair

Personally, I'd visit the brick and mortar office stores and try a few out. Trust your own rump first and foremost. :cool:

I bought a well reviewed chair online and found it didn't quite work for me because it leaned back a bit even with it locked. I would suggest also hitting a B & M store but I would also be interested in some other people giving some suggestions for chairs to try out- I'm in the market also but I am going to give it a test drive before I buy this time.

It's been years since I've gone looking, but, my advice would be to look at the "big and tall" labeled chairs. Even, perhaps, if you're not necessarily big and/or tall. When I went out to the stores and tried various options, it just seemed like the big and tall stuff was consistently better constructed all-around and had better cushioning.

What I personally bought was an Office Depot "Furniture At Work" big and tall chair. I think it's discontinued now, but it's held up incredibly well over the years (even the cushioning). Likely due to the better construction I mentioned earlier.

Another impression I arrived at after trying a number of chairs was to generally steer clear the "gimmicky" looking chairs. When I first went out looking, I was dead set on getting something with as many adjustments and options as possible. I quickly ended up disliking those sort of chairs and settled on something that was simple and just plain comfortable to sit in.

That said, we're all shaped at least a bit differently and have different desk and office arrangements. Your mileage may vary.

Office Star Space Air Grid is a good quality chair for not much money. I have another Office Star chair (some bonded leather POS) that I'm going to replace soon because the pneumatic cylinder failed me/falls on its own on occasion. I thought all Office Star chairs would be of equal quality, but it just seems the Space Air Grid is their go-to product for reliability. Mind you, I know people that have had their Air Grid chairs for 4+ years, and nary a problem except squeaking (and even that was from lack of proper chair maintenance.)

On my search, I've tried the Herman Miller Mirra, Aeron and Liberty -- wasn't a big fan. I tried the Steelcase Leap, and just couldn't really stay comfortable in it all day. Nightingale CXO was a good chair, but for the price I felt I could do better. Knoll Chadwick was an alright chair, but the forward tilt without any adjusting weirded me out a little, and I don't really feel that I need forward tilt at all. I like the Steelcase Think and Herman Miller Embody the most out of all of the chairs I tried, and it'll likely be the Think I purchase (based on price alone.)

My advice for buying a chair, even if you're going to stay <$200 in your decision, is go to some big office furniture stores and plant your ass in the $600+ chairs. Mentally note what you like about the chairs, then go find a budget chair that shares the same features at Costco, Staples, or where ever. No one is going to have your comfort needs but you.

You have to check them out yourself. Varies too much between people. I am currently sitting on a Steelcase Leap at work and I hate it so much. I have also tried the 'order a chair I haven't tried before' thing once with a HAG H05 only to find that it had a back so curved that it was as uncomfortable as a wooden dining room chair (though not the SAME discomfort).

Very nice list of chairs... However, I suggest that you go to stores and test-sit it.
Do not trust the pictures. Test-sit it. :)

yep office depot usually has chair sales or office max, get a nice chair for 70 bucks. Get a really nice chair and computer stand for 700 though - look at obutto r3veloution

Its personal choice man, may be what I like you may not.
So go to a good store, check few out, and select one which you like and which falls within your budget.

Hit up the local office depot or other office-centric store in your area.

I got a 300 dollar high back leather chair that was super comfy for ~160 after the special deal they were running at the time.

I forget the exact name/model but it doesn't really matter -- just go to the store and start sitting in things that look comfy. You are guaranteed to find something more comfy and in your budget than a folding metal chair. :)

I'm not baller -- so ~150 was my budget. I probably wouldn't notice the difference anyway between a 200 dollar chair, and a 2000 dollar chair.

I went to a used furniture store and got one for $35. Nice quality, made in USA, clean, and comfortable. I was willing to spend quite a bit more than what I spent, but I found the $35 chair met my needs. Many of the chairs at Office Depot/Staples failed to meet by needs, and also seemed a bit expensive for what you get.

If you have a used furniture store, consider visiting it.

eames lounge chair with ergotron hardware
hero_eames_lounge_2.jpg

45-241-026_sm.jpg

Back