Recommend me a gigabit switch

MustRotate

Limp Gawd
Hello all,
I need a recommandation for a gigabit switch, 5 or 8ports needed. I did a little digging before and the next are in my list:
D-Link DGS-2208
HP Procurve 1400 or 1700 series(J9077A or J9079A)
I dunno about the 2 HPs,it seems a little odd but the expensive one,J9079A has less switching capacity(3.4Gbps vs 16Gbps) but more RAM(1MB vs 128kB) compared with the J9077A.
I will use this switch for a small lan(4clients) with heavy torrenting for one client.
Also is it better to use a pc for routing and as a seedbox or just do these things separately, so a pc for routing and another one for seeding.
My layout should look like this:
pc(m0n0)-gigabit switch-4clients(3low usage and 1 seedbox)
or
pc(routing+seedbox)-gigabit switch-3clients
Which solution would be better from performance point of view( a lot of traffic is expected from the seedbox which will have a 3TB capacity).
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I prefer HP ProCurves.
Lifetime warranty, set 'em and forget 'em.

However, for a 4x PC LAN with concerns about torrent stuff...I wouldn't worry about the switches at all. Heck, a 100 meg switch isn't even a bottleneck for you, for that matter..even an old 10 meg hub most likely wouldn't bottleneck you. It's the router you want to focus on.

Well the router will be either a PIII+256megs with m0n0 or if I should combine the router with the seedbox it should be a P4 with a lot of ram(2 or 4gb).
Which would be a wiser decision?

I would just look at something like the netgear GS105 or GS108...or if you want more fun like VLANs and such the GS108T.

Lifetime warranty, good prices, great for home/small office use.

it seems a little odd but the expensive one,J9079A has less switching capacity(3.4Gbps vs 16Gbps) but more RAM(1MB vs 128kB) compared with the J9077A.

The J9079A is a 10/100 switch with one gigabit port. It's more expensive because it's web-managed.

A DGS-2208 should be fine.

FYI, the Dell 2708 doesn't support jumbo frames. It's not critical, but is a nice to have. Most modern products, including the inexpensive DGS-2208 support jumbo frames.

If you want a web-managed switch with jumbo frame support, there are other options at around that price -- e.g. the Netgear GS108T and the Linksys SLM2008. Both of these also have better default warranties than the Dell.

Back