Recommend me speaker placments.

ccotenj said:
actually, if you don't want to move anything, i don't blame you, and i'd go back to the the suggestion that i made way back in my first reply...

put the fronts up on top of the shelves on either side of your monitor to get them at "ear level", mount the center right above the monitor (you can get mounts that will stick out from the wall so you can get it right above it), and get another (or fabricate another) stand to put the right rear on...

if i was you though, i'd try to move a few things around, just to give me a little more floor space... maybe remove about half of the shelving and put some stuff that is on them closer together... mister x's suggestions are a good place to start...
Lol its fun to hear what you guys have to say. Hell can always use it when I DO run out of room lmao!

if there's nothing under the bed, we have just found a home for the boxes... :)

edit: dammit, x beat me too it... :)

ccotenj said:
if there's nothing under the bed, we have just found a home for the boxes... :)
Mr.X said:
WOOT!
We know where those boxes are going now don't we? :D
See Im not that much of a pack rat :p

As for the front speakers is earlevel what I am trying to achieve?

Oh and PS. IF you didnt notice allready the shelves can be moved to different levels!

EDIT: Jesus I am going to make Hard Gawd just spending my time in this thread :D

As for the front speakers is earlevel what I am trying to achieve?
Better imaging.
I think the fronts are better about a foot higher then ear level and about three feet away on both sides.
That way you get some separation from the center channel and everything is not slammed into the same acoustic space

Yeah that sounds about right, I mean they way I have it setup right now the surround totally sucks, I mean its a 4.1 system but for games the speakers are WAY too close.

Looks like I am going to play around with the speakers when I get them.

The backs CAN be seperated a bit more, to achieve Dolby Digitals standards (go to their site to see what I am talking about) And as for the fronts, I guess Ill just toy around with them to see what sounds the best. I wish I could get them up on the wall (its just that second monitor is all I need to move /wishes I had a FP)

I guess its a waiting game at this point.

EDIT: I am going to take the pics off, itll help ease the load for the ones that arent on cable ;)

yea, like mister x said, the imaging will be mucho better that way... i wouldn't object to trying them a little higher than ear level... :)

Allright, It looks like that is the way to go.

Im REALLY anxious to see how these sound. Do either of you have experience with this particular speaker set?

If you do any comments?

So far I have read the bass needs to be tighter (I think some foam in the port may shut the sub up a little) and it needs a little more treble (im hoping an EQ can fix this) Maybe someday logitech will learn that you need tweeters to get those true highs :p

hmm.. i've forgotten what speakers we were talking about in the first place... :)

oh yea, the 5500's... nope, i had a set of 5300e's that i had for a short period of time before deciding they weren't worth the effort... (i don't game, and i have ht setup for movies/music, and i didn't want the surrounds in the middle of my room)...

as far as the sub goes... you can try moving it around a bit, sometimes even a foot in one direction or the other can make a big difference... stuffing the port also changes the "tuning" of the sub, so i'd try that as a last resort, personally...

Allright, as you already knew my sub is under my desk, aka surrounded by hard surfaces. This causes the sound to probably echo a bit more. Maybe the carpet is the way to go.

Oh and check this out guys,

Never put a sub that needs to breathe from the bottom on one of those office mats:
mat.JPG

Yeah that big brown spot is where the sub used to sit, it got so hot that it discolored the mat!

I KNOW the 5500's are going to be hotter than my 130 watt ADA-885's :p

Lol wow that made no sense what I said, time for bed I think :p

Ill read this thread again tomorrow. Why more room for the sub?

The Z-5500 sub? Sure it will, theres a good 21" under there. Plus the sub is front firing anyway. The space looks much smaller in the photos :)

Awesome!

The day after labor day and my speakers shipped. Not only did they ship but FedEX is delivering the 60lb package (man is my delivery courier going to hate me after this one :p ) but the tracking info says they will be here tomorrow. Wow that just made my night :D

good deal... :)

i'm really curious too to see how the speaker positioning ends up...

I am even more curious to see how they sound, I literialy have read 100 reviews on them (Well the first 15 pages of google or so) to get an idea of how they preformed. I have read sooo many mixed feelings. Im pumped for them :D

UPDATE:

Wow these speakers are loud! Halfway is plenty for me, and the sub is so poerfull that I have it turned down to 2 out of 12 or so bars :D

Anyway, I threw the sub undder my table, and must say it sounds alot better under there, although when I am playing some music there is just a tad of a delay with the sub. The highs are what I expected for single driver speakers, they arent amazing but they will do. I fired up Half Life 2 and enjoyed some true surround for the first time ever :D

Now for the mountings I think I am going to mount them to the wall behind my monitor or something. I now know that placment is EVERYTHING. As of now everything is unbalanced as hell, but some srews and another homemade speaker stand should fix that real quick.

Ill post up pics when I am all finished.

Heres the mess as of now :p

PHOTO REMOVED

HAHA it FITS!

PHOTO REMOVED

Im thinking of putting the speakers here:

PHOTO REMOVED

I dont know if its too high, but its the only place I can see where they will be far apart enough, they CAN be adusted to aim the sound down. Center will go on the shelf and be aimed down at me.

Oh and one more thing, yes you see right my pod IS WHITE! It turns out I got the original 5500's that have the REMOVABLE speaker wire! That was a cool little surprise. :)

well??????? you mounted them yet???? results!! results!!! inquiring minds want to know! :D

Sorry ccotenj!

Well I yesterday after I got home from school, I decided what I was going to do. Lets MAKE some speaker stands. So I was thinking what would work then microphone stands came to mind. PERFECT! They are adjustabe, I dont have to drill holes in my wall, and I can move them if I decide to ever rearrange things!

So, I remebered I had 2 different mic stands in the attic so I brought them down and broke out my router, and dremel and got to work on making some top supports for the mic stands. Ill let the pics do the explaining.

Basically I cut out pieces of plexi that look like this:

stand1.JPG

Ok then I drilled a hole in the middle, polished the edges up a little and got these:

stand2.JPG

stand3.JPG

stand4.JPG

I still need to go to the music store today and pickup 2 more stands for the 2 front speakers. I already made the plexi bases for them so its just a matter of buying the stands. These speakers are sounding better and better as I place them correctly!

Ill post updates as I go along.

Well,

Have been sick lately so I havent been getting much done. Today I cleaned up everything, and treated myself so some 16AWG speaker wire. Now everything sounds oh so perfect (ears are still stuffy from being sick, but I can tell there is a slight difference with this higher grade wire)

So pretty much heres the wire that I bought. Unfortionately I got a little generous with the rest of the speakers and forgot to leave enough wire for the center channel, so I need to run back out some other time to get a good 8 more feet of wire.

Heres the wire I decided on:

wire.jpg

Its REALLY flexible, but DONT be tricked this IS NOT solid copper wire. It has a nylon core (I am still trying to figure that one out) Anyway, it could not have worked any better!

Heres the final setup of everything. Easy to adjust, move, etc.:

front.JPG

whole_system.JPG

Thanks to everyone who contributed into this project, ill keep your ideas in mind for the near future :)

Back