Recommend new mouse and pad please!

m0rn

Limp Gawd
Well just setup my new comp about a few weeks ago, and now I figure I might start shopping for some accessories.

First off I need to replace my MX510, I've had it for 3 or 4 years now and the top right of the bottom of the mouse is totally warn where the sticker and stuff is gone, and it's actually starting to wear the plastic. The two rubber feet in that area are gone as well.

Secondly, I've been using the func 1030 for about the same amount of time as the mouse, maybe a bit longer. And it's really gotten worn out, it's gotten extremely rough and moving the mouse takes effort. I prefer the rough side of the pad, so I guess it's no surprise that both mouse and pad are worn out in this way.

Since I like using the rough side of the func pad, can someone recommend a pad similar to this? I know I can just get another func, but I'd like to try something new. Would cloth be similar to the rough side of the func pad?

I was looking at the Razer Deathadder or an MX518, but I think the 518 is fugly (just my opinion of course :cool: ). Do you guys think these two are good choices, I figure the MX518 is very similar to the 510 though, which can be a good thing I guess.

I ask all these questions since I'm very sensitive to changes like this. I think I've been sitting in the same position at my computer and my mouse and keyboard haven't moved in 5 years. But I guess this is gonna change :rolleyes:

Thanks for any input!

Edit: I guess I should mention budget. I'd prefer to keep the mouse at $50 and below.
Mousepad at around 20ish, lower the better.

Is the ratpadz surface a rougher surface like I mentioned, or is it like the icemat which is supposed to be super smooth.
Is it worth the 10 dollars difference between the two versions?

I figured I'd get a lot of ratpadz recommendations, maybe I'll just bite

Is the ratpadz surface a rougher surface like I mentioned, or is it like the icemat which is supposed to be super smooth.
Is it worth the 10 dollars difference between the two versions?

I figured I'd get a lot of ratpadz recommendations, maybe I'll just bite

haha, it's well worth the money! My understanding is that the XT is more durable that the other one.

The XT isn't "smooth" it's got a texture, but you're mouse will glide with almost no resistance over the surface.

haha, it's well worth the money! My understanding is that the XT is more durable that the other one.

The XT isn't "smooth" it's got a texture, but you're mouse will glide with almost no resistance over the surface.

I guess it's kinda hard to explain touch and feel on the internet, but I was looking through the site again and they offer a money back guaranteed and free shipping. So I guess I'll give it a shot, but from what I've read, it seems I'd probably won't have a reason to send it back.

You were using the "ball" side of the pad... it was MEANT for ball mice, not optical.

I had a 1030 and 510, the smooth side is the side you want to use.

You aren't going to find anything like the rough-side of the 1030 unfortunately... and the 518 is ugly, but the remake of the 510... so it's good :D

I like my icemat 2nd edition. google it.

I don't think its worth the price they were selling it at the time, I got it free via my hardware review site I use to have.

You were using the "ball" side of the pad... it was MEANT for ball mice, not optical.

I had a 1030 and 510, the smooth side is the side you want to use.

You aren't going to find anything like the rough-side of the 1030 unfortunately... and the 518 is ugly, but the remake of the 510... so it's good :D

Yeah I know it was meant for ball. But I still prefered it to the smooth side. That's unfortunate that I won't find anything like that, maybe I'll just get another func.

I like my icemat 2nd edition. google it.

I don't think its worth the price they were selling it at the time, I got it free via my hardware review site I use to have.

I figure something called icemat, would be smooth as.. well.. ice, which is something I'm trying to avoid, thanks for the suggestion though.

I would love if they would incorporate the battery of the MX1000 or a better one on the G7, I want to upgrade mouse, want to go wireless but a bit afraid since the G7 has the hot swap ones that don't last too long. On mine I get over a week sometimes close to two and a half weeks, and also my relatives use my PC when I am not home. Would be upset to run out of juice fast in half the battle even with a spare one.
ATM I use a razer exactmat X-peed pad, love it, got it for free from my boss, he bought an spare one.

I've had a couple of Ratzpads and never thought too much of em personally.

The Func 1030 is a great pad. I'm using it with a DA atm and (just changed from a G5) and I'm starting to like it a lot.

I moved from the 1030 to F30r to a Xtract Ripper XL...

Cloth is different but I like it so far, the pad is massive 14 x 17 :D :eek:

Best Buy now sells Razer eXactMats if you want to try it with the possibility of easy return. They also sell every Razer, Logitech and Microsoft mouse to date so you can try them if you want to and return them within 30 days, no questions asked.

Best Buy now sells Razer eXactMats if you want to try it with the possibility of easy return. They also sell every Razer, Logitech and Microsoft mouse to date so you can try them if you want to and return them within 30 days, no questions asked.

That's great to know. I noticed Best Buy was listed on the Razer site, but the Best Buy site doesn't list the DeathAdder as being sold at the B&M.

Also I found an e-tailer that sells spare parts for the func pad. So I might go that route and save myself a few bucks. If anyone is interested check here: http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/catdetails3.asp?catcode=funcacc

I've never heard of them before, and their resellerratings is slim to say the least. But I might give it a shot.

steelpad qck heavy +razer deathadder

nothing like the comfort and durability of a quality cloth pad, and the deathadder is a great mouse. The ime 3.0 is also VERY comfortable and is GREAT for competitive games (quake, cs). Cloth pads are The way to go in my opinion.

I have a deathadder, a g9, and for mousepads qck heavy, thunder 9, icemat v2, c4ngen, everglide titan monstermat. I just got my g9 today so I need more time to see if I can get used to it.. but initial impression is it's too small.. the tracking is great however. so I'm going to recommend the deathadder.. and for a mousepad some kind of hybrid like the c4ngen or qpad ct

Well, turns out that my wife bought me a Razer Boomslang Collector's Edition 2006 for X-mas, and I gotta say...

...SCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE

Yes, this mouse rules the roost. Good luck if you can find one, only 10,000 were made, but WOW, this is the best of the best. Only pair it with a very nice mouse pad, I like the Icemat Rev 2, but I've heard good things of the Razer eXactMat and I liked the Ratpadz myself (while it lasted).

As a point of reference, I've recently had:
- Logitech MX518
- Logitech G5
- Razer Copperhead
- Razer Diamondback
- Razer Krait

Back