recommendations for a 24" LED monitor?

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
After using my new macbook pro for the past 2 weeks straights, i LOVE LED backlit displays... a newegg search only comes up with LG displays.... and not much luck on google either, except the apple displays which are out of the question....

Hi

Theres a few about, try Dell and Samsung they both have models.

They tend to be the very low power high contrast models.

I think their is only 1 models out. Their is the Dell G2410 and their is an LG model at newegg. Both 1920x1080. The Dell is like $269 and the LG is like $329.

hmm...
it looks great.. ill give em that

i just want a high quality display for games and 1080p movies.

looking at the dell Ultrasharp... i keep on wanting one, but I havent seen any deals yet for the ultrasharps like last year.... if there a 40% off coupon for a 2408... id b on that in a heart beat!

I don't know a whole lot about monitors but would something like the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 be any good for someone who works in photoshop?

hmm...
it looks great.. ill give em that

i just want a high quality display for games and 1080p movies.

looking at the dell Ultrasharp... i keep on wanting one, but I havent seen any deals yet for the ultrasharps like last year.... if there a 40% off coupon for a 2408... id b on that in a heart beat!
So that you know..... The new UltraSharp U2410 is not a LED back-lit panel, the G2410 LED back-lit is not considered an UltraSharp, being a TN panel.

This is a TN panel.

TN panels are not the best for intensive graphic work... well that's what they say.

Although from what I can gather most of the wide gamut monitors seem to have more issues than I'd like for the price your paying, it will NEED calibrating as well more costs.

I don't know a whole lot about monitors but would something like the Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 be any good for someone who works in photoshop?

No. TN panels are not ideal if picture quality and color accuracy are very important. Go with a quality IPS or PVA display instead.

Consider the 24" HP LP2480zx screen for the best in any application where you need accurate and vibrant colors. It uses a A-TW (polarizer) on a H-IPS panel, has 1920x1200 resolution, 1000:1 contrast, 250cd/m2 brightness, 6ms G2G response time, and most importantly a RGBLED backlight. Cheapest I've see is $1329 though, so really only justifiable if you're a professional or budget doesn't matter and you want the best.

xbitlabs said:
Winding up my review of interesting 22-inchers, I must say a few words about the ViewSonic VLED221wm, the cheapest available model with LED backlight based on RGB triads. Unfortunately, there can be some confusion about what this monitor really is and does. Being an extended-gamut model, it is advertised as a monitor with "astounding color and precision".

But what does the LED-based backlight provide? It endows the monitor with an extended color gamut, i.e. the ability to display very saturated, very pure green, red and blue. An ordinary monitor will look pale in comparison, its red and green having a noticeable tincture of yellow.

What does it not provide? Color accuracy. Color accuracy does not depend on the monitor’s color gamut. It depends only on the quality of the LCD matrix and the monitor’s setup. But when it comes to that, the VLED221wm proves to be a typical home TN-based monitor with the ensuing consequences. Yes, it can display very lush green and red, but it is far inferior to professional monitors in the accuracy of halftones (even if we don’t count in the rather serious problem of adaptation of images for the extended color gamut). The VLED221wm is rather expensive and you must realize that this money buys you more saturated colors than with an ordinary 22-incher, and nothing more. The VLED221wm can create an impression in games and movies, but it is wrong to regard it as a monitor with high color accuracy.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/monitors/display/lcd-monitor-buyers-guide-2008-2009_6.html

Also found some notes in another forum from December 2008:

The 24" LED Cinema Display is around $400 cheaper than any other comparable 24" LED display on the market.
(They are referring to the 24" Apple Cinema Display)

As far as I know the only LED backlit display in your price range is Lenovo's L2440x. Buy.com have it for $581.68.

In terms of price, I guess this is the best deal out there right now:
(and he linked to the Samsung 2433BW which apparently has an LED backlight)

The forthcoming Samsung P2370L looks promising!

These quotes came from:
http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-623844.html

I have not researched any of this much, so some of these quotes may possibly be wrong. Short answer seems to be that the 24" Apple Cinema Display is the best LED monitor right now but you'll need to be aware of and research carefully the connectivity issues (it does not use DVI, HDMI or Displayport! It uses the mini-Displayport. This is currently a challenge to connect to a PC.) Cheaper LED monitors are TNs, and as the quote above mentions, making them LED doesn't necessarily make TNs better.

Last edited:
Agreed, LED backlight is no guarantee of quality.

However, does it make TN panels better I think so... Vastly reduced power requirements, greater contrast, improved blacks, longer panel life. True, it's still a TN and LED backlight does not guarantee a better quality image, but it's a step in the right direction.

I own the XL2370

I just wanted to say this is the most vibrant and colorful LCD monitor I've ever owned.

When white LED's and 120hz hit the PVA and IPS 24" and larger panels, life will be good. And the activity in this forum will go up 10x.

:)

$430 for a TN panel? Hah. ;)

Problem is, all the good panel monitors at that price have to deal with Wide-Gamut bullshit, not to mention the threads on the U2410 and the HP equivilent are nothing but page after page of what seems like every single person who ordered the monitor having 50 different issues, returning it 3 or 4 times to get a decent one, etc. Not to mention they're both STILL more expensive, and use CCFL backlighting.

Problem is, all the good panel monitors at that price have to deal with Wide-Gamut bullshit, not to mention the threads on the U2410 and the HP equivilent are nothing but page after page of what seems like every single person who ordered the monitor having 50 different issues, returning it 3 or 4 times to get a decent one, etc. Not to mention they're both STILL more expensive, and use CCFL backlighting.

Somehow using a TN panel solves this? :confused:

Somehow using a TN panel solves this? :confused:

Well... TN's are mediocre, but at least they're consistantly mediocre. :D

As opposed to these cheap IPS panels where no one seems to be able to get a single example that's worth a damn, and even then they're still dealing with the awful choice to make seemingly every mid-range to high-end monitor these days Wide-Gamut.

LED's are in short supply. It takes a lot of them to light up a IPS or PVA panel. Worse, those LED's available have gone to TV's first, as a higher selling item.

imo, give it 1 year at most and the entire landscape will start to change and LED's will be everywhere. Right now you are picking at the very beginnings of the market and its either low end or high end, nothing good in the middle yet.

Are any of these LED displays even local dimming, or are they all edge-lit? I'm looking for a 24" IPS or PVA display with a glossy screen and LED local dimming backlight. Doesn't seem like anything like that yet exists.

Seconded...

HP LP2480zx w/ A-TW H-IPS panel and RGBLED backlight @ 1920x1200 resolution, 1000:1 contrast, 250cd/m2 brightness, 6ms G2G response time - can't be beat ATM.

If you are wanting locally dimmed led you best be looking at HDTV models cause i believe all monitors right now are edge-lit. No link to back it up sorry : * (

Seconded...

HP LP2480zx w/ A-TW H-IPS panel and RGBLED backlight @ 1920x1200 resolution, 1000:1 contrast, 250cd/m2 brightness, 6ms G2G response time - can't be beat ATM.

Thanks. Absolutely beautiful. The price almost made me faint though. And looks like it's not dropping any time soon.

Seconded...

I thought you were talking about an imaginary display! :D But it really exists! I'll buy this one and stop searching for a good monitor at once!

Hey guys, not that i have it but NEC2490 is placed higher, quality wise from many reviews,owners on this forum and some other sites. Even it does not have LED backlight still its one of the best monitors i have ever seen ( i meant the best )

Also its like 800$ cheaper ;) Trust me, this time more $ does not mean better.

You can learn more about this unit in this review.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1396129&highlight=nec+2490+full+story

The best H-IPS monitor on the market. Make sure you get the NEC2490-SV first version not 2490wuxi2.

Last edited:
Back