Recommendations for a mobo to be paired with an Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge CPU?

CLock3

Gawd
Hello everyone, how's it going? I'm planning on doing a new build soon. Looking at the Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge for the processor, and was wondering what you would all recommend for a motherboard to go with it? It seems that Newegg only has 5 offerings for the LGA1155 socket, and they don't have much reviews on them.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For starters you will want a board with a P67 chipset to be able to overclock your unlocked processor. Beyond that you need to elaborate on what form factor (ATX, micro-ATX, mini-ITX) and what features you want, because that is the main differentiation between the various boards. Also there are no mini-ITX P67 boards yet. From what I've gathered ASUS, MSI and ASRock have fancy UEFI BIOS's with mouse-driven interfaces while Gigabyte is stuck in the 2000s with their old keyboard driven BIOS.

You might want to wait a month or two for the retail channel to settle down. Because of the Sandy Bridge chipset recall, manufacturers are just now getting their revised B3 stepping boards into the retail channel.

I am looking at the Asus Sabertooth. But apparently they arent (re)out yet. No doubt vendors will price gouge though. Since everyone is waiting.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, after posting this topic, I was doing more research and found the info about the recall, so I'll probably wait a little longer, like you suggested, for things to get straightened out. As far as form-factor, I'm looking for ATX boards, and planned on going P67 for sure.

Oh, and a mouse-driven BIOS? That sounds like blasphemy! Haha

Well it's both, you can use keyboard if you prefer, and obviously have to for keying in numbers.

Well it's both, you can use keyboard if you prefer, and obviously have to for keying in numbers.

I HAD been considering lower-end P67 (specifically, the P8P67 PRO from Asus), which would have been my first full-ATX mobo since I left S478 - thanks to the gouging, I'm back looking at budget and mATX again (and even at non-ASUS mobos, such as MSI's H61 mATX budget-beastie - from the specs, it's basically a Sandy Bridge version of MSI's LGA775/G41 lineup, which is not a bad thing). Still, I'd like to see some H61-chipset mobos go through the wringer before the bid-or-pass.

While I'd heard of H67, H61 is a new critter to me.

Why did you quote me? And what gouging? Intel did say that they didn't expect full volume to recover until April/May.

Back