Recommendations for JBOD

If the supermicro 847 is for home use then buy some earplugs to go with it. You're also paying a premium for a product optimized for the colocation market. Also you'd likely need help moving it once it's fully loaded.

I've got one of the Norco ds-24e's and it's excellent, and the sas2 expander chip inside the areca module is the lsisas2x36 which is a best of breed SoC. A fully loaded Norco can also be moved by one person.

However if a business is going to rely on this and uptime is a concern then supermicro by all means, for the excellent dual psu, heavy duty build quality and because they've had the same LSI expander chip on their backplanes for a couple generations now.

My slight worry with the Norco route is that in my experience the build quality has been less than optimal. I've been through a number of backplane swaps. In a snapshot RAID build that isn't so bad but in a RAID configuration its been a pain. Has this issue been addressed ( I don't think I was just "unlucky" from reading other threads / forums before?)

If the supermicro 847 is for home use then buy some earplugs to go with it.
This. I had a SuperMicro 942 chassis that was my primary machine for a few years. I'm currently suffering hearing loss in a certain range, and I believe that sleeping next to that computer may have had a large part in it. odditory's not kidding about the earplugs.

Aside from the noise, that was a FANTASTIC chassis, though. Durable, reliable, and heavy-duty. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend one for a server room anywhere in the world.

Yes I have 12 already, with 12 more on the way...

Source?

I was able to pickup 12 Hitachi 4TB 7200rpm drives at Fry's last week for $249 each ...was such a deal. Felt like a criminal sneaking 2 out of the store pretty much every day of the week..lol. I need a bunch more so I can free up the 40 or so 2TB and 3TB drives I have in my current storage servers and repurpose them for my data warehouse server.

sorry to thread jack but what is the use of this much storage space in a home environment?

Have I been missing out on something?

sorry to thread jack but what is the use of this much storage space in a home environment?

Have I been missing out on something?

The OP doesn't say it is for a home environment but a nice BluRay rip is circa 40GB naitvely - a few of those soon eats up those bytes.

Source?

I was able to pickup 12 Hitachi 4TB 7200rpm drives at Fry's last week for $249 each ...was such a deal. Felt like a criminal sneaking 2 out of the store pretty much every day of the week..lol.

Dont feel too bad they're making out just fine @ $270 after tax .

Source?

I was able to pickup 12 Hitachi 4TB 7200rpm drives at Fry's last week for $249 each ...was such a deal. Felt like a criminal sneaking 2 out of the store pretty much every day of the week..lol. I need a bunch more so I can free up the 40 or so 2TB and 3TB drives I have in my current storage servers and repurpose them for my data warehouse server.

Dang, if i knew, I might have done the same. I have to frys near me, so i could drive to both!

Back