Recommendations on a flight sim and wireless joystick

RAA-Kr1cH

Limp Gawd
My father-in-law informed me today that he wants to buy a flight sim and joystick. I'm not sure how crazy he wants to get, and not sure what all is involved in the joystick, if that's just a joystick, or the throttle control dealie too. He would like wireless, preferable bluetooth, I wasn't really able to find much, but as this isn't really my cup of tea, I didn't really know where to check.

He's not the most computer savy, so probably nothing too complicated, or at least something that's easy to get started.

He's got a decent pc. He's runnin a 3800+ with at least 1gb of ram, and a 6600, I believe the le version.

Any recomendations are greatly appreciated!

What type of flying, there are lots out there (combat, WWII, Modern, Jet, helo, just flying, etc)

As for Joystick, wireless? (I have no idea if they even make such a thing) I would recommned the Saitek X52 Pro (great stick for the $$) It's is USB-wired.

I think he's looking more toward modern, which I think is what the Microsoft flight sim is.

Ok, so modern jets.

Just leisure flying, or combat?

Flight Sim X is definitelly nice, but with his PC it will not work (at least not loog good to play smooth). This game REQUIRES the latest and greatest for a good experience. Otherwise it's stutter city/bad frame rates.

It's commercial hets, a couple of helos, and some ultralights.

It's just heavy.

That said, you could still get him FS2004 which is the past iteration and it's a lot easier on the hardware.

IF it's combat he wants, check LockOn: Flaming Cliffs (jets, missiles, dogfights, etc)

Good luck.

If going wireless, get the Logitech Freedom 2.4 This is a surprising good wireless stick. Fits my hand nicely, stays up on the table well in spite of not much weight and has great battery life. It's what I've used for all my non-serious flight sims for the last 1 1/2 years. For a serious flight stick throttle that won't break the bank, pick up a Saitek x-52. Nice heavy stick, throttle and if you go to saitek's site you can pick up a refurb for $69.95. I have refurb from there I got about a year ago for MFS9 and it was more or less mint in the package, I couldn't tell it was a refurb and has worked perfectly the entire time I've owned it.

Then, once he's hooked, send him to CH products or even better to flightsim.com and pick up some of the custom panels advertised there :)

Back