Recommended Backup Software?

Deeky

Gawd
I scored a 2TB Seagate GoFlex external drive with USB 3.0 on boxing day, and now I'm wondering which backup software I should opt for? I realize there are free options, but I'm not averse to dropping $50 on a trusted, reliable paid solution.

I've tried Windows 7 Backup several times, but it's so painfully slow. I'm also convinced it killed my previous data drive with a marathon backup session that ramped up the temps and bricked it despite good airflow.

The GoFlex comes with something called Memeo Instant Backup, but it's restricted to C:\ only unless I pay for the Premium edition. Regardless, I'd rather put money on something I've heard of, like Acronis, NERO or Norton Ghost. I'm leaning toward Acronis True Image 11.

Suggestions?

Your description of what you want is a little less than specific but I have used Synctoy for a couple years now with great results. My scenario basically entails me backing up specific folders from several network and local drives on a weekly to bi weekly basis to an external drive attached to my main computer. It is quick albeit limited on options for the backup methods. It being free helps too :)

Thanks for the responses and recommendations, and sorry for the lack of detail in my OP.

My situation isn't complicated, pretty standard. The most important thing for me is backing up my E:\ (data), which is 1TB of work-related documents and files, music, and family pics/movies. Keeping this synced would be a big plus. I'm also interested in maintaining an image of my C:\ for restoration should I have to reinstall Windows 7 (which I often do). No network drives, just local.

I've never kept a dedicated backup before, I'm fairly new to the whole process. I lost a lot of data this past year, I've learned my lesson.

Ideally a sync/backup program would detect a drive's unique serial number and automatically start the backup as soon as its visible (locally or over network), no matter what the drive letter.

I'm not sure if SFFS does this. For OS backup, there are many imaging programs or you can just use the builtin Window's backup.

Thanks for the responses and recommendations, and sorry for the lack of detail in my OP.

My situation isn't complicated, pretty standard. The most important thing for me is backing up my E:\ (data), which is 1TB of work-related documents and files, music, and family pics/movies. Keeping this synced would be a big plus. I'm also interested in maintaining an image of my C:\ for restoration should I have to reinstall Windows 7 (which I often do). No network drives, just local.

I've never kept a dedicated backup before, I'm fairly new to the whole process. I lost a lot of data this past year, I've learned my lesson.

You need two types of software - the backup / synchronizers and image creation software such as Acronis True Image. That will allow you to create a "snapshot" of your boot drive as a single file, with the option of making incremental backups. Reinstalling is a pain. I Use Acronis True Image to avoid reinstall. You can restore to "bare metal" - a brand new unformatted drive. It's save me a half dozen times from having to install from scratch!

One more free option for file backup - xxcopy. Powerful command line backup - and free for home use!

Thanks y'all. I'm a few days into my 30-day trial with SyncBackSE and I'm diggin' it. SFFS looks to be a more powerful solution, but it's a tad excessive for a noob home user looking to back up documents, pics and movies from a single PC. SyncBack is cheaper, simple and does what it does, no hassle, runs as a service. Though I was initially running a sync every 24 hours, I've since scheduled it hourly. Probably overkill, but it's nice to know I'll never be more than an hour screwed should either of my internal drives go tits up. Cheers!

The next step is imaging software. Methinks I'll give the Acronis trial a spin.

i keep my fileserver and my backupserver with terabytes of data in sync with robocopy (robust file copy) its included in win7 and one of the ever best tools for copy or sync folders or servers.

robocopy \\server1\a \\server2\backup_a /mir
will keep these two folders in sync.

or robocopy c:\folder e:\folder /mir
for local disks

you will hardly find a tool, more simple or as fast - no need to pay money.
you can use it with planned task or with batch files. google will help to find the gui for it if needed

if one of the servers use ZFS, you must add /b and you cannot use copy owner-option
there are also parameters for date, acl, owner, older than or bidirectional sync

gea

Last edited:
if you just want to keep something in sync, try robocopy.
i am quite sure, its faster and more robust.

i use it even to keep two ZFS Server in sync because it is the only way
to sync files and folders with acl (unlike rsync)

gea

Back