Recommended Cooler for a 6600GT

amdfan25

2[H]4U
Darn my MSI 6600GT PCI-E decided to die on me and I need a replacement one. I knew that damn thing would die, looked cheap anyway.

What do you guys recommend? Im between the Zalman VF700-CU VGA or the Arctic Cooling AVC-NV6R2 NV Silencer 6

Ive done a search and saw that many people had trouble with the Arctic Cooling fans (not touching the GPU and something about blown caps?) but they were for other types of cards (mostly the 6800 series). Any users of either these products like to share their experiences?

Zalman VF700-CU all the way! Allthough you cant fit the ramsinks on the AGP verson of the card (NOT a big deal), it still gives frosty temps and monster OC's. I get 600Mhz Core, 1.2GHz vRAM on my 6600GT :D

You also have the option of putting the cooler on another card down the road if you go with the VF700-CU; the NV Silencer wil ONLY fit the 6600GT.

I'd say grab either the VF700-CU or the VF900 when that becomes available soon. I've owned both the silencer and VF700-CU for my 6800GT and I have significantly better performance with the VF700-CU.

The problems you've been reading about with the silencer is probably with the older revisions (i.e. when they first started gaining popularity). I don't know if it's still an issue anymore, but the problem was that the copper heatsink wasn't making good contact with the GPU. This is an obvious problem with making the heatsink a giant one-piece block of copper that needs to have perfect contact with a bunch of ram chips and a gpu.

Unknown-One said:
Zalman VF700-CU all the way! Allthough you cant fit the ramsinks on the AGP verson of the card (NOT a big deal), it still gives frosty temps and monster OC's. I get 600Mhz Core, 1.2GHz vRAM on my 6600GT :D

You also have the option of putting the cooler on another card down the road if you go with the VF700-CU; the NV Silencer wil ONLY fit the 6600GT.

You can actually fit the ramsinks on the AGP version. Just requires a little modding fun :D

Those extruded aluminium ramsinks have very fragile fins, and you can twist them right off with a pair of needlenose pliers. Take out the first two rows of pins on each ramsink, and they will fit.

Yeah, I'd go with the posts above and get the VF-700CU. I had one on my AGP 6600GT before and it was amazing. Took me to 595/1200 with it idling at 27c and loading at around 55c, amazing temps for such a hot card. I didn't put on the ram sink though, because it doesn't seem like it needed it and the it was too much trouble to cut the fins.

Back