Recommended PSU for 4870

Perini

n00b
So, I'm running a Q9300 but not OC'd. It's inside a Dell XPS 420.

I am adding a HD 4870 to the mix.

The recommended wattage for PSU with the 4870 is 500 watts, so I have to upgrade.

PC Power&Cooling makes a "Dell-compatible" power supply (Silencer 500) that's exactly 500 watts.

I can use a Silencer 750, but it won't technically fit inside the Dell without bending some metal around.

So if I don't intend to do any overclocking of the CPU or video card, do you all think I can get away with the bare minimum 500 watt PSU or should I go ahead and hack the back of the XPS 420 to fit the Silencer 750?

It does say 500W "recommended", so I don't think that's the bare minimum. 450W would probably do just fine unless other components were extremely power hungry (Phenom, 10k RPM drives etc.).

Of course if you want to upgrade your computer later, or maybe even get a second 4870, the 750W PSU would be a little more future proof. The current trend appears to be for GPUs to get bigger and even more power hungry...who knows how much power the GTX3x0 or Radeon 5870 will consume?

If that's true, great news indeed. I wish there was some way of finding that out!

Check the screw holes on the back and see if they line up with typical ATX, or better yet, use Dell's online chat support. Or Dell's forums?

I highly recommend the Antec Neopower 650, also know as the NeoHE 650. It reviews well, is virtually silent, and has one of the highest actual efficiencies around. Its a bit spendy, but ewhiz has it right now for $115. Oh, and its modular, too.

Those recommended specs are for cheapo PSUs. A good 500W will be plenty.

gah.. I thought this was for a 4870 x2...

edit: BTW, fotrons are good. solid psu maker.

Mine runs fine with a Corsair HX520. If you don't plan on upgrading anytime soon I would just get the 500W OCZ one.

My Diamond 4870 box says 450w or greater and 650w for CrossFire. PSU's like the Antec Neo are actually Seasonic PSU's. I think the the Corsair too. I would get whichever is cheapest out of the brands that use Seasonic or buy an actual Seasonic 600w. Can't go wrong with Seasonic. My other PC has a 500w PC Power&Cooling Silencer but that is actually made by Seasonic too. My main PC uses Seasonic S12-600. Here's a list of PSU companies and who actually is their manufacturer(s).

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDArticles&op=Story&ndar_id=24

MY XPS420 with the 425watt unit run a 9800GTX and a 4850 just fine.... not sure about the 4870 though.

if you ordered your dell with a low end videocard then it has a 375watt unit that will still handle the HD4850, but I question anything higher.
I have found dell PSUs in the higher end boxes are underrated. The 425 in mine is prolly better than alot of 5-600watt units.

EDIT: Also, for $100 you can get the Dell 525watt unit that comes in the Dell Precision T3400, it is a very nice 3 rails unit and will fit in the case without modding. You would need to get both parts because there is a wiring harness that plugs into the power supply. It does have two 6-pin PCI-E power plugs.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Power/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=YN637 (Dell Part# YN637)

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Power/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=04&sku=KP500 (Dell Part# KP500)

Last edited:
Back