Recommended PSU?

zflajs

Limp Gawd
To start off there have probably been thousands of these types of posts and I know they can get irratating to some but I only ask for any positive input that you may have.

Now to the point I'd like to upgrade my PC soon. Here are my current specs:

Antec NeoPower 480w
AMD Athlon 4000+ San Diego
BFG 6800 GT OC
Asus A8n Sli Deluxe
2x 1gb Patriot mem
2 hd's
2 optical drives
Various USB devices
LED Front Display

Now i'd like to upgrade to a higher end graphics card (7950??) and run a dual monitor setup. I also might get a better dual core processor later on. My question is will my current PSU hold up to a single BFG 7950 w/ dual montior and my current setup or will I need to look for a different PSU? Any input is appreciated.

zflajs said:
Now i'd like to upgrade to a higher end graphics card (7950??) and run a dual monitor setup. I also might get a better dual core processor later on. My question is will my current PSU hold up to a single BFG 7950 w/ dual montior and my current setup or will I need to look for a different PSU? Any input is appreciated.

Easy answer is "NO!".
Check out the power requirements for 1 BFG 7900 GTX OC. It will amaze you.

A 450 watt PSU is getting just too small these days. For a 7950 you are going to have to get an SLI approved PSU, because a 7950 is really just 2 7900's on one card in SLI mode. So the power requirements are going to be the same as running 2 individual 7900 Cards.

I think that the Minimum size PSU I've seen that is SLI approved is 500watts, and it had a HUGE 12v rail.

But more and more of them are coming into the market so the prices are coming down.

rodsfree said:
Easy answer is "NO!".
Check out the power requirements for 1 BFG 7900 GTX OC. It will amaze you.

A 450 watt PSU is getting just too small these days. For a 7950 you are going to have to get an SLI approved PSU, because a 7950 is really just 2 7900's on one card in SLI mode. So the power requirements are going to be the same as running 2 individual 7900 Cards.

I think that the Minimum size PSU I've seen that is SLI approved is 500watts, and it had a HUGE 12v rail.

But more and more of them are coming into the market so the prices are coming down.

Don't stretch the truth just to make a point. Your current supply is fine.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=256&type=expert&pid=14

Back