Record HD from Satellite?!?!?

qfour20

Limp Gawd
Anybody seen this stuff?
http://www.169time.com/

From what I gather reading the site, they sell pre-modded satellite boxes that have firewire outputs installed on them. It seems that they have a video processor (AVX1) that is installed on a daughtercard that allows you to output via firewire for *ANY* channel that you are able to tune with your HD Sat box.

It's quite pricey, but definitely an option to enable HD recording off of satellite. Anybody tried this or heard of how well it works? It just might be worth $1000 to me to be able to have mythtv record HD content... once I decide on what sat. carrier I want to go with.

Another interesting thing I've run across is this:
http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/HDTV/index.html
Apparently, dishnetwork made an add-on box for the STB's that re-sends the HD signal as an ATSC stream so that you can pick it up with your built in tuner on your set (or your HD capable tuner card). Yet another tantalizing option.

So how do YOU capture HD content from your satellite provider?

-q

valve1138 said:
That one also works with Sage, and is cheaper. Actually, poking around their site, I believe they may be the successor to 169time, or certainly a more advanced product.
"Owners of a 169time modified receiver can now upgrade to the R5000-HD for the low price of only $375.00! Upgrade your HD recording system now to get:
Full PVR functionality
SD recording capability on all services
Ease of setup and use
Highest quality Disk or Tape based captures
Improved disk to D-VHS transfers"

Very interesting. Might be well worth checking out, but the site doesn't seem to give any useful details about *how* it actually works. What I'm looking for is a way to get the HD stream out of the STB via firewire or 8VSB / QAM to my mythtv box. They actually support the STB that I'm likely to get (dishnetwork 211), so I'll have to follow up with them and do some digging on the mythtv mailing list.

-q

I have a Technotrend S2-3200 and I am able to record HD from satellite with no hassle.
I use Media portal and with that I can record from sat, and record from terrestrial AND browse terrestrial at the same time.
Fantastic software though a little unstable.

qfour20 said:
Another interesting thing I've run across is this:
http://www.coolstf.com/mpeg/HDTV/index.html
Apparently, dishnetwork made an add-on box for the STB's that re-sends the HD signal as an ATSC stream so that you can pick it up with your built in tuner on your set (or your HD capable tuner card). Yet another tantalizing option.
Whoa. This is totally interesting to me. I wonder if it can be used with MCE. Does anybody else know anything about this Dish network ATSC modulator?
So how do YOU capture HD content from your satellite provider?

-q
Short answer, I don't, and I don't know anybody else that does.

Update on the Dish ATSC modulator.

Looks like it was only available on their 5000 set top boxes, which are 3 generations old if my information is correct.

Also, Dish has made those STBs obsolete by changing formats or something or other.

Too bad. I almost thought you had found a good solution....

I read through the meat of the HD modulator part above pretty well, but I totally ignored this:
Updated March 29, 2000

Damn.

Looking around a bit further, I found this:
http://tech.dishnetwork.com/departmental_content/TechPortal/content/tech/techmischdtv.shtml
Model 5000 and HDTV Digital Modulator Information:

DISH Network's original HDTV solution. This combination enabled the 5000 receiver to receive and deliver DISH Network HDTV programming. The Model 5000 and the HDTV Digital Modulator are no longer sold. The combination can no longer receive DISH Network's HD programming. An upgrade to a newer HD receiver is available.

Looks like DishNetwork doesn't want customers to be able to do what they want with the media that they're paying for. Bastards.

-q

qfour20 said:
Looks like (fill in the blank) doesn't want customers to be able to do what they want with the media that they're paying for.
Today's media landscape elegantly described in one sentance.

Sad, isn't it? And people wonder why I refuse to go to movies and such. I go to live music shows, and that's about it. *sigh* Maybe I'm just getting old and bitter?

-q

It's our own fault for giving them this much power in the first place, how many CD's have you guys paid 20 bucks for over the years?

If you are like me...the number is astounding.

I've come to understand the real economics of hollywood and friends as I've become older, and it truly sickens me how they play us against ourselves. Just one Christmas with nobody buying a CD or DVD would send a message louder than any federal election for office ever could....money talks..BS walks. In their case...straight to Congress to buy off another politico.

Personally, I use this to grab all my satellite needs.Maybe it's just my cheap-ass nature (witness my mythbox hw), but I dislike the idea of paying for a set top box like that.

alan.p said:
Personally, I use this to grab all my satellite needs.Maybe it's just my cheap-ass nature (witness my mythbox hw), but I dislike the idea of paying for a set top box like that.
Congratulations for being in europe, it doesn't really help the OP though.

IanG said:
Congratulations for being in europe, it doesn't really help the OP though.

I don't live in Europe -- I live far, far away from the EU in little New Zealand, as my .sig suggests.

As for my comment, I meant that there may well be some FTA channels over satellite in America, as this would suggest, rather than going for the quick answer resulting in a monthly subscription and firewire hassles.

alan.p said:
Supposedly a great card with plenty of third party support. Twinhan makes some good ones too but people often prefer the skystar 2 for whatever reason. Def recommend others to do some follow-up research on dvb-s cards (as i've been). Dish's and motors can be had for relatively cheap on ebay to boot. A dishmotor is used to automatically move from satellite to satellite depending on what program you want to watch. You definitely maximize the amount of free channels when you use a motor. Here's a list of free channels available to most north american residents: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html. Not sure how many are HD though...

Makes a fine companion for an OTA equipped htpc imho.

Sorry for veering off-topic, just wanted to highlight an interesting product. And no we are not discussing piracy or anything illegal here (!)

SJetski71 said:
Supposedly a great card with plenty of third party support. Twinhan makes some good ones too but people often prefer the skystar 2 for whatever reason. Def recommend others to do some follow-up research on dvb-s cards (as i've been). Dish's and motors can be had for relatively cheap on ebay to boot. A dishmotor is used to automatically move from satellite to satellite depending on what program you want to watch. You definitely maximize the amount of free channels when you use a motor. Here's a list of free channels available to most north american residents: http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/United-States.html. Not sure how many are HD though...

Makes a fine companion for an OTA equipped htpc imho.

Sorry for veering off-topic, just wanted to highlight an interesting product. And no we are not discussing piracy or anything illegal here (!)
I don't know anything about this stuff, and "free" satellite TV (especially HD) sounds like a tantalizing prospect, but it looks to me like C-Band satellite dishes (the big ones) are required for getting any "good" channels in North America. Unless you want to foray into the world of hacking Nagravision to try to decrypt Dish Network or DirecTV.

Back