Recovering Files

FireBean

Gawd
Hello All. I'm in need of some people's expertise here.

I had a Raid0 Array that dropped out on me. Somehow it lost it's MBR and the partition table. My backup also bit the dust as well, so I'm unable to recover what I want from there.

These are family photos and documents that I need to have back. I have been successful in recovering some of the data, but a lot of it garbled. Is there a program out there than can rebuild these photos? They're not terribly bad, just chunks of the photos put into the wrong place, like a jig saw puzzle. Or is there another program that better (and faster) than EaseUS Data Recovery? I'm willing to pay for these programs, as these are not replaceable.

Also, does anyone suggest a free or relatively cheap online back up? I have something like 10k+ photos and documents...

The shit really hit the fan on this one for me....

Last edited:
I didn't have to do that. I rebooted the computer and the drives were ready to go again, but there was NO data. Everything was in RAW, and I'm currently trying to extract my data from that.

Would running this program still work?

A more appropriate forum for your questions.

Try Get Data Back.

I tried the easus data recovery program and it acted like it recovered the data, but most of it was garbled. I think the easus program is the worst recovery program I have ever used. I think getdataback is a much better program. It just saved my bacon again yesterday. You could also try active@. But RAID recovery is tough. That's the main reason I have avoided true RAID. When the fit hits the shan it makes recovery much more difficult. In fact it's only recently that the recovery software even started to cover RAID volumes at all. If you do use getdataback make sure to check something like "exhuastive search" in the options so that it does a deep search. That's what I had to do when I lost my $MFT due to a partitioning error. You could also try PhotoRec/Testdisk, which is a freeware solution. Although I don't know if it supports RAID recovery.

I currently have 14 hard drives. 2 x 1 TB, 3 x 1.5 TB, 7 x 2 TB, and 2 x 3 TB for a total of 26.5 TB. My case is pretty much the largest standard one available (although you can't buy it anymore). An original CMstacker. With 4-in-3 modules and a little rearranging it will support up to 16 drives. So I only have 2 more that I can squeeze in there. How exactly would you suggest I backup 26.5 TB? It's just not practical unless you are a corporation with unlimited funds. In my case the only thing that makes sense is some kind of parity scheme to rebuild a failed drive with parity calculations. This means Flexraid, Unraid etc or just Raid 4/5/6 arrays. But I don't think striping makes sense when you only care about reliability and not speed. Striping definitely makes your drives less recoverable if/when something goes badly wrong, as we can see from the OPs experience.

I currently have 14 hard drives. 2 x 1 TB, 3 x 1.5 TB, 7 x 2 TB, and 2 x 3 TB for a total of 26.5 TB. My case is pretty much the largest standard one available (although you can't buy it anymore). An original CMstacker. With 4-in-3 modules and a little rearranging it will support up to 16 drives. So I only have 2 more that I can squeeze in there. How exactly would you suggest I backup 26.5 TB? It's just not practical unless you are a corporation with unlimited funds. In my case the only thing that makes sense is some kind of parity scheme to rebuild a failed drive with parity calculations. This means Flexraid, Unraid etc or just Raid 4/5/6 arrays. But I don't think striping makes sense when you only care about reliability and not speed. Striping definitely makes your drives less recoverable if/when something goes badly wrong, as we can see from the OPs experience.

The claim that only a corporation can afford backup is just silly.

You need 13 2TB hard drives to backup all you have. About $1000. Packet change.

I bet most of the data is not worth anything and that for under $200 you can back up the important stuff.

Back