Red Artifacts with 8800GT

spiroh

Limp Gawd
I have a XFX 8800GT XXX (670mhz)and I'm getting red artifacts. If I underclock the gpu and memory they go away but I didn't pay all this money not to have the card run as advertised. Just wondering if any of you are experiencing the same type of issues with 8800GT's?

It's most likely your memory. Try putting the core back to default and lowering the memory by like 10-20 points see if that helps. People have been saying if you're seeing artifacts to just RMA the card, it's defective. Even if you're seeing high temps, that's most likely not the cause, a defective card is.

I know underclocking your card to get it to work sucks, which is why RMAing it is probably a good idea. If you can stand not having a videocard for 2+ weeks. That is, unless XFX sends one before you send yours out, not sure if they do that.

make sure you get riva tuner and turn up your fans speed.

it sits at 20% idle mode even in games due to driver-bugs and issues.

crank it to atleast 50% or more and it will cool it down and fix the artifacts.

make sure you get riva tuner and turn up your fans speed.

it sits at 20% idle mode even in games due to driver-bugs and issues.

crank it to atleast 50% or more and it will cool it down and fix the artifacts.

I just used riva tuner but I can only change 23/3d at the same time, so it's really loud when in desktop. Any way I can change just 3d fan?

not sure man.

Im waiting on mine to arrive here on like monday/tuesday...

trying searching I just have seen post after post and blog after blog about the fans needing to be cranked up.

hey guys I'm also getting same red artifacts as the OP. As soon as I get them my whole system locks up. This happens in Fear exraction point. Also about a min or two into a game, my fps drops from like over 100 to about 30 and stays around 30fps almost like a fps cap. ????? I have rivatuner and have my fans set to 85%. My card is an EVGA 8800gt KO

Core Clock 675

Shader Clock 1688

Memory Clock 975

Anyone know if its bad memory module on the card? Should I rma it?

I'd recommend everyone RMA it. Don't get greedy with your playing time or you'll probably regret it.

Chances are somewhere along the road it will get unbearable, worse, or even die on you and then you would have wished you'd RMAed it. I have a semi-broken x850xt that displays shit poorly but I keep it around for a case like this. My 8800GT is broken aswell (i think) so if I need to RMA it I can just pop in the x850xt and try to bear it for a week or 2.

I only ever get red artifacts (quickly followed by a crash) when I have clocked the memory too far.

There are no 2D/3D profiles with the newer NVidia drivers.
Probably because the card hardly uses any more power with higher clocks at idle.
If you set your fan to 45% you will get much better cooling and its pretty quiet too.
this will hopefully stop the problem if you arent going to RMA.

The problem might not be a defective card but badly applied thermal paste.
An aftermarket heatsink would sort this problem or refit the heatsink. (Dont use metal based thermal pastes)
I recommend the Accelero S1 cooler highly.
However, unless you reapply the heatsink, you wont be able to test for this so I recommend an RMA.

Return the card. Don't mess with it. If something is defective (which this card is), you return it.

yeah I'm not going to mess around, my card is going to get rma'd back to newegg.

Talked to XFX and it got RMA'd. I sent it in this afternoon. Sucks that they have to get the card first before sending a replacement as I'm going to be out of my computer now for over 2 weeks.

I'm receiving artifacts in the form of red, purple, and pink dots. I'm using an EVGA 8800GT SC Edition. Random things also turn partially transparent, and I'm getting some white "spark" artifacts along the edges of objects. They seem to be getting worse. RMA for sure?

I'm receiving artifacts in the form of red, purple, and pink dots. I'm using an EVGA 8800GT SC Edition. Random things also turn partially transparent, and I'm getting some white "spark" artifacts along the edges of objects. They seem to be getting worse. RMA for sure?

Try another PSU.
Other than that it is either getting too hot, you have a bad/badly installed driver or is faulty.
Hows your case air flow?

I don't have access to another PSU, but mine provides enough wattage and power on the 12v rail. This is all after a driver wipe via Driver Cleaner and a fresh installation of 169.02 drivers. My temperatures are fine. I have the fan at 67%, and my load temps don't go above 70.

I don't have access to another PSU, but mine provides enough wattage and power on the 12v rail. This is all after a driver wipe via Driver Cleaner and a fresh installation of 169.02 drivers. My temperatures are fine. I have the fan at 67%, and my load temps don't go above 70.

I can think of 4 things that could cause the red artifacts:

1) faulty card
2) overheating card
3) driver problem
4) not enough power/bad connection

Its not a driver issue, its not overheating, and for now we are assuming the card is ok.
That leaves PSU or a connection problem.
You might have the best specs in the world for a PSU but what if its faulty?

I had the same problem with red artifacing, then a crash. It only occurred in Gears of War. I cranked up the fans to 80%, and it hasn't happened since.

I have an EVGA 8800gt SSC and a reference card in SLI.

heat and/or memory (vid card memory) clocked too high

if not overclocking....RMA now, it wont get better, adding airflow (unless your system was already anemic flow-wise) is only a band-aid

I wouldn't RMA it, I have the EVGA 8800gt sc and currently evga is working on a new BIOS to fix the fan issue. Those red artifacts are from hitting the mid 80's temp and causing it to artifact then freeze. Get riva tuner v2.06 and put the fan to 100% before launching a game. It'll fix the issue 1000%! I haven't experienced a single artifact or freeze since I started using riva tuner. They released two bios's but so far no luck on getting my fans autosensor working but I do believe another BIOS is being made as we speak. This is a great card! other than the fan issue which will soon be fixed.

in terms of RMA'ing. Any suggesting whether to RMA to the manufacturer or Newegg (where I bought my card).

Just want to mention my card has hit 98 celcius in Crysis with 50% fan and maintained stability, no artifacting or crashing. If the card is stock, and artifacts, its no good.

That type of artifacting is almost certainly caused by the memory. Therefore, you'd want to look at the memory temps, not the core temps. I remember the x1950pro's had a lot of issues with the VRMs hitting 100C and locking the card up, despite the core temps showing completely reasonable temperatures. Long story short, core temps are not enough to evaluate stability.

That type of artifacting is almost certainly caused by the memory. Therefore, you'd want to look at the memory temps, not the core temps. I remember the x1950pro's had a lot of issues with the VRMs hitting 100C and locking the card up, despite the core temps showing completely reasonable temperatures. Long story short, core temps are not enough to evaluate stability.
Well, I'm glad we could get it diagnosed at least. I have a replacement on the way. Here's hoping my new card doesn't have the same problem.

in terms of RMA'ing. Any suggesting whether to RMA to the manufacturer or Newegg (where I bought my card).

The Manufacture....but eventually a new BIOS will fix this problem once they get it right. I didn't think 85 was all that hot to artifact and freeze my card and thought it was caused by the stock overclock, but I left the settings at 650 for clock and 950 for memory and used riva tuner 2.06 to crank up the fan since many others have this issue and told me to do just that and it's been over a week so far and not one artifact or freeze so it's definitly a fan issue and I would strongly recommend not going through the exhausting RMA wait process unless yur having other issues.

well i am currently producing artifacts with 50C memory temps on a X1950Pro so I am going to RMA.

One thing to remember (which helps to make sense of things) is what artifacts generally are: the circuitry giving incorrect results (a purple pixel instead of say the correct yellow), usually this is a result of the timings (clock freqs) being too tight. Ie. your not giving the electronics on the chips enough time to come up with the correct result.

So when you overclock, you shrink this amount of time (so you get results quicker, ie. better FPS). If you go too far, you start to see artifacts.

The thing that makes things more interesting/difficult is that the time that a chip's electronics/circuits need to produce a correct result, changes based on temperature. The hotter things get, the slower things are (ie. the more time it takes/you must wait).

What this all adds up to is that when you overclock, you are both shortening the time you wait, while also increasing temperatures (which lengthens the time that the circuitry needs to get correct results). When those two values overlap, is when you will often start to see artifacts.

This is a bit of an oversimplification, but I find it helps to think of things this way, as it makes it easier to understand what can happen with your cards.

With respect to 8800GT's it would seem that they tend to run close to these limits already. As you raise the clocks (both GPU and memory) presumably you also need to lower temps. Things are so sensitive that less than perfectly applied coolers (thermal goop, heatsinks, etc) can be enough to put the balance off. Either backing off on the clocks (increasing the time you wait), or increasing fan speed (lowering temperature, which means the circuitry will work faster) is usually enough to bring things back into line and stop the incorrect results (artifacts).

For these reasons, I think a well designed aftermarket cooler (that cools both the GPU and memory adequately) will be really successful for these cards, as the extra leeway you get from better cooling (lower temps) will be appreciated :)

Aggies

Funny story. I thought I was getting artifacts after a long session of playing Witcher last night. It turns out that certain potions give red spots on the camera view, and it's intentional.

Funny story. I thought I was getting artifacts after a long session of playing Witcher last night. It turns out that certain potions give red spots on the camera view, and it's intentional.

lol I had that happen too, I looked in disbelief thinking "it cant be the game surely?"

lol I had that happen too, I looked in disbelief thinking "it cant be the game surely?"

Me too. Then I had a hard lock after a CTD before the desktop could finish redrawing. Then I gave FEAR a try to see if other games have a problem and within minutes I had actual red artifacts and a BSOD.

After RMAing two previous cards (7800 and 7900) I'm not really looking forward to yet another RMA. :(

For what it's worth, my XFX card was sent to them and they tested it as faulty. THey will be sending in a replacement to me this week. If you see red artifacts on any stock card, just RMA it.

I too was getting red artifacts and lock ups using 169.02 drivers on my EVGA 8800GT's Superclocked in SLI, especially playing FEAR Combat. Updated to drivers 169.09 and have not had that problem for a couple of days now. Using stock clocks and have fans set 60%<60c, 80%<70c, 100%>70c. When gaming very rarely do I here the fans hit 80% and have never heard them hit 100%(unless done manually) Cards idle at 47c.. When they do hit 80% its only for a few seconds and then they back down.

I too was getting red artifacts and lock ups using 169.02 drivers on my EVGA 8800GT's Superclocked in SLI, especially playing FEAR Combat. Updated to drivers 169.09 and have not had that problem for a couple of days now.

Well I just updated from 169.02 to 169.21 but it didn't make a difference for me. :(

Dropped the memory down from 2.0 to 1.8ghz with ATItool and it seems stable. Hours of FEAR without any artifacting or BSODs.

Is there a BIOS clocked at 600/1800 that I can flash my Galaxy with? I'm not a fan of using software to drop my clocks all the time.

Edit: Found one on EVGA's forums. ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/N801 Update 1.1.zip
Flashing worked from windows for me - no need a for a floppy. 600/1800 and it enables the fan throttling. Under load with rthdribl I hit 80C at 44% fan speed (2450rpm). A little louder than the 31% at 91C previously but no where near as bad as putting it up to 100% with rivatuner.

Well I just updated from 169.02 to 169.21 but it didn't make a difference for me. :(

Dropped the memory down from 2.0 to 1.8ghz with ATItool and it seems stable. Hours of FEAR without any artifacting or BSODs.

Is there a BIOS clocked at 600/1800 that I can flash my Galaxy with? I'm not a fan of using software to drop my clocks all the time.

Edit: Found one on EVGA's forums. ftp://ftp.evga.com/bios/N801 Update 1.1.zip
Flashing worked from windows for me - no need a for a floppy. 600/1800 and it enables the fan throttling. Under load with rthdribl I hit 80C at 44% fan speed (2450rpm). A little louder than the 31% at 91C previously but no where near as bad as putting it up to 100% with rivatuner.
Yeah, but now you won't get top performance out of your card. If you paid for it to do a certain thing, you should at least get that out of it.

Yeah, but now you won't get top performance out of your card. If you paid for it to do a certain thing, you should at least get that out of it.

Thats true but just bumping up the memory without upping the core as well doesn't provide much performance anyway so its not a huge deal to me. The principle of it pisses me off but it was also the cheapest 8800GT ncix had available and after two previous RMAs I'd rather not waste any more money on return shipping if I can avoid it.

Well, I thought the drivers helped but they did not. Pulled out my top card and ran on only the other card and it does just fine, no red artifacts or crashing. Got that card from Newegg. The other card ran still gets artifacts and crashes when ran alone so guess I'll have to RMA that POS. That card came from NCIXUS. The pcb boards look a little different. It is light green compared to the other and the screws are all black. Kinda wierd.

related question:

My eVGA 8800 GT KO(fact overclock to 675/1.9 mem) has been crashing occasionaly. Its a new system and i' ve only played the Crysis demo/hl2 ep 2/portal/and tf2 on the system. Crysis freezes the system typicaly once an hour. All the source games fair better, once every 2-3 hours. But when the source engine games crash they freeze for 2-3 min displaying a bizarre checkerboard pattern where the game is visible in between the 1 inch alternating blocks. Is this typical of a defective card? My first thought was the vid card mem. But who knows so i don't really know, could be ram or anything else for that matter.

Oh and i have a antec 900 case (lots of airflow) and a corsair hx520 watt PS(don't think its the issue).

Thanks in advance

Back