Red Faction: Guerrilla Remastered

mr_zen256

2[H]4U
The space asshole is back in the Red Faction: Guerrilla Re-MARS-tered edition. I couldn't bring myself to include that horrific pun in the thread title.

Everyone who owns the original on Steam will get the remaster for free on the July 3rd release date.

I haven't seen a full list of what has been added / improved, but looking forward to giving RF:G another play through.

2cf0100031b95bc81d3a8ef65f423b1f.gif

GET YOUR ASS TO MARS

Nice! This is a brilliant game that would do well with just a graphics update.

I'll have to play this through. Tried doing it on the original, but something about it made it tough for me to play more than 30min.

This little bonus game out of nowhere.

I have to mention the excellent soundtrack. If you ever see it resurface, snag it immediately. Several years back I had bought it digitally on Amazon because that was really the only option I knew about and then it was gone, which was strange.

Only ever played RF1 and 2 on PS lol. What's this one like in comparison?

Only ever played RF1 and 2 on PS lol. What's this one like in comparison?

It's quite a different game from the first two of the series as it is in 3rd person and is open world. In terms of fun and enjoyability, it's a fantastic game.

The main complaint most people had with RF:G was that the game world felt too sparse. This was not my experience and the game has incredibly dynamic and emergent game play. It is basically one big destruction playground. One other complaint was that the ground doesn't have destruction physics. This really has no bearing on the overall game play as the building destruction physics are the absolute highlight.

There are a decent variety of missions and activities scattered around each zone such as base assault, base defense, vehicle time trials, hostage rescue, convoy assaults, catch the courier, high damage challenges, fastest damage challenges and heavy vehicle assault challenges. To a lesser degree, there are some collectible aspects, one of which allows to you unlock a "MOAB" explosive device that can be loaded on to any vehicle and used to cause massive destruction.

As you complete side missions and progress through the campaign there is a decent variety of upgradeable weapons and equipment using the scrap you collect from your destructive activities as a form of currency.

To this day, there has been no better game that allows you to enter a multi-story building and also reduce that same building to a smoldering pile of rubble. The closest thing to the destruction of RF:G would be Crackdown 3 and that isn't even released yet.

Last edited:
It's quite a different game from the first two of the series as it is in 3rd person and is open world. In terms of fun and enjoyability, it's a fantastic game.

The main complaint most people had with RF:G was that the game world felt too sparse. This was not my experience and the game has incredibly dynamic and emergent game play. It is basically one big destruction playground. One other complaint was that the ground doesn't have destruction physics. This really has no bearing on the overall game play as the building destruction physics are the absolute highlight.

There are a decent variety of missions and activities scattered around each zone such as base assault, base defense, vehicle time trials, hostage rescue, convoy assaults, catch the courier, high damage challenges, fastest damage challenges and heavy vehicle assault challenges. To a lesser degree, there are some collectible aspects, one of which allows to you unlock a "MOAB" explosive device that can be loaded on to any vehicle and used to cause massive destruction.

As you complete side missions and progress through the campaign there is a decent variety of upgradeable weapons and equipment using the scrap you collect from your destructive activities as a form of currency.

To this day, there has been no better game that allows you to enter a multi-story building and also reduce that same building to a smoldering pile of rubble. The closest thing to the destruction of RF:G would be Crackdown 3 and that isn't even released yet.
Sold me, sounds like a boat of fun. Been looking for something like that for a while, fps with that difference factor. Thank you!

One of those games I wanted to replay. Suppose I will replay the remaster. Pretty old game now though, but so much better than the one that came after it.

So much this. I have owned RF: Armageddon for years now and have made several decent pushes to finish the game so that I can move it to the "Completed" section of my library, but it's been a chore. The shooting feels bland, the underground environments and enemies are repetitive, level design feels uninspiring, and they toned down the series' signature destruction so much. It simply isn't that much fun to me, doesn't really offer anything cool or unique outside of a few neat weapons, and doesn't manage to hold my interest. I was getting near the end last time I put it down, so I'll finish it eventually, but I'd much rather play a remastered Guerrilla than slog through the rest of Armageddon.

The remaster is now live. There are a few bugs the devs need to work out, such as game crashing while using Exclusive Fullscreen. Window and Fullscreen window mode are working fine however.

Hope it gets fixed soon because exclusive fullscreen is the only way I can use DSR.

I own this game on CD and I never did get around to playing it.I wonder if they will give CD Key for CD owner.Might be worth a shot to kill some time.

EDIT:Answer for anyone who wants to know

"Dear customer,

Thank you for the mail.

With the release of the Re-Mars-tered Edition of the game Red Faction Guerrilla, the option - set up immediately after GFWL support has been ceased - to exchange the GFWL version (retail edition with CD key) to Steam version (Steam Activation number) has been suspended.

Sorry for the inconvenience.
Thank you for your understanding."

Last edited:
^ That sucks, but the remaster is on sale for $10 and is worth every penny. It's a 20 to 30 hour game.

I'm not surprised in the least that the remaster has a few kinks to iron out....

Luckily, THQ Nordic has proven quite diligent about patching their remakes etc....

I'm not surprised in the least that the remaster has a few kinks to iron out....

Luckily, THQ Nordic has proven quite diligent about patching their remakes etc....

Yes, absolutely. They have already acknowledged the majority of the bugs people have reported. I'm hoping they can drop a patch for the Fullscreen bug before the weekend so I can get my smash on.

Starting playing remarstered. Graphics a bit of an upgrade, but not much, but it's free, and I'm ok with it. Only thing that is driving me nuts is the studdering i'm getting, when I know I should not be getting. Is this a known issue?

I finally decided to give it a whirl (now that it's up to Patch #3)

No noticeable issues. Apparently I'm blessed not to have any stuttering. (which is being worked on in a future patch, I'm told)

Speed-wise for me, it runs identical to the original Steam version etc.

Overall, I can't really tell that big a difference.... EXCEPT:

The remaster uses differed rendering so no available MSAA.... Best you can do is FXAA via control panel

Soooooooo yeah..

giphy.gif

Back