Redesigned 8800GT - Gigabyte GV-NX88T512HP

I'm sure you talking about me and I know you DID NOT read my posts... And i think you would be the one to go to that noob convention. not us.

Can you understand that the card would give a BSOD with or without drivers, in Windows or BIOS or DOS ffs? I send the card in, spend extra $20+ ass holes send the card back saying there is nothing wrong with it... funny same old crap happens in my friend's computers. 3 of them.

So if you still want to go to that noob convention u better pack fast.

O yeah! Checked out trough PayPal.

Gona slap a Maze 4 with some RAM heatsinks and clock tha hell out of this thing!

Edit: lol totaly forgot, Zalman for sale :D

Do you suppose that OC'ing this card might be what did you in?

This forum helped me when I was deciding to buy this card. I bought it from ebuyer in the UK and it ended up being the one with the old heatsink. The board says Rev 1.0 and sure enough, the ram chips are Qimonda. Clocks 700/1715/920. It runs cool and quiet.

efex172 you might want to try out your card before posting any more of that rubbish on here - I've had mine a week and I'm seeing bad corruption in TF2 & COD4. Why assume you have the golden card that won't fail? I'd rather find out sooner than later. And downclocking would be at best a temporary fix if it worked at all. I'm not going to bother - Gigabyte can honour their warranty, thanks.

In 20 pages and all these users did ANYONE EVER get the SPDIF/HDMI audio to work with this board?

I am very happy to report that it works! First off, I took one of those cd audio cables that cd drives always come with, and cut it up to be a 2 wire connect cable. I then connected the SPDIF_O header on my board to the header on the gigabyte card. I bought this hdmi adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226015) and hooked it up. It works great! I haven't tested outputting surround since my TV doesn't support surround (Just clicks, really annoying)

and for the record I have the first model and I haven't had any serious problems. You can bitch and say its a matter of sooner rather than later but gigabyte has at least a 3 year warranty so I don't care if it starts fucking up later i'll just rma it. I love gigabyte shit never let me down

Update: Tried passthrough of 5.1 AC3 and DTS, neither worked, but neither produced clicking either. It disables the system sounds while "passthrough" is going so I don't know if its the TV or the card not sending or receiving the audio

Hi all.

Been reading this thread with great interest since I'm also having some problems with my Gigabyte 8800GT.

When I play games, mostly World of Warcraft, at totally random times the screen goes black and my monitor goes into power save mode. Of course all power saving settings are turned off and the only way to get the picture back is to hardboot the computer.

If I check gamerhud my graphic card seem to be running at these speeds:
GPU @ 700
Shader @ 1715
Memory @ 920

It also says model name: GV-NX88T512HP with a Zalman Vf830-Alcu fan on it.

Can anyone determine which edition of the card I have by these numbers? And if maybe my problem would be solved if I exchanged the card either for another edition or maybe another brand altogether.

Thnx //D

Hi all.

Been reading this thread with great interest since I'm also having some problems with my Gigabyte 8800GT.

When I play games, mostly World of Warcraft, at totally random times the screen goes black and my monitor goes into power save mode. Of course all power saving settings are turned off and the only way to get the picture back is to hardboot the computer.

If I check gamerhud my graphic card seem to be running at these speeds:
GPU @ 700
Shader @ 1715
Memory @ 920

It also says model name: GV-NX88T512HP with a Zalman Vf830-Alcu fan on it.

Can anyone determine which edition of the card I have by these numbers? And if maybe my problem would be solved if I exchanged the card either for another edition or maybe another brand altogether.

Thnx //D

Those settings are on spec with my card. It's my understanding, and from my own packaging, that the newest revision of the card is GV-NX88T512HPV1, but there have been mixed answers on packaging. And, FWIW, I've had mixed results with GamerHUD. Sometimes it works flawlessly, other times it causes conflicts with Xfire, Steam and AVG that give me strange problems and crashes.

Are you using the lastest drivers?

What a pile of shit, my RMA replacement arrived, a mere 20 numbers down the serial no. chain, ie the exact same fucking batch. Qiimonda memory clocked 700, 950,1700. I get seconds of gameplay before a crash instead of the 10 minutes on the last board.

Where the hell is quality control.

Here's the word straight from the horses mouth:

From [email protected] (GIgabyte Global Technical Service)
"The card is rated at 920 not 950, if you overclocked the card it is not guarantee it can be fully stable.
Respectfully,
GIGABYTE TECHNOLOGY."

I got this after filling out the tech support question form, including my board revision and serial number. I suggest filling the form out yourself, and seeing if the 950 clock on the Qimonda memory is too high.
**GIGABYTE determines warranty based on the manufacture date. The manufacture date can be verified by the serial number found on the product. The first four digits after "SN" determine the year and week of manufacturing date. For example:

"01)04719331729028(21)SN0213030585" represents the 13th week of 2002*

Mine is (01)04719331348xxx(21)SN0752030xxx
Manufactured 52nd week of '07.
My card is stable at stock speeds. Maybe we can start building a database of manufacture dates, and start working out who's having the problems?

If it's supposed to be at 920, then they fucked up by shipping it at 950, and they owe you a card. There is no way you should have to clock down your card for stability.

Took 'em only 2 days to come up with this one. The poor grammar indicates that they used a spell checker after translating it from Tiwanese.

I don't remember if I already posted how I feel about DDR3 modules, but to (re)iterate, they are in my opinion very volatile, and rather more susceptible to ESD and voltage spikes then older DDR, or even DDR2. I think that quality control from Gigabyte may indeed be in question. Maybe they need to pay their guys on the line more than $2. an hour, or buy them better grounding straps.

What a pile of shit, my RMA replacement arrived, a mere 20 numbers down the serial no. chain, ie the exact same fucking batch. Qiimonda memory clocked 700, 950,1700. I get seconds of gameplay before a crash instead of the 10 minutes on the last board.

Where the hell is quality control.

Where did you RMA it at? Not Gigabyte I assume. Gigabyte is replacing with the fine HPV1.

It may take about a month to get the replacement, but at least you'll get a good card.

50th week '07 for both cards. It went back to my dealer, I then got a message that they were returning it to Gigabyte. I guess Gigabyte then told them the card was bust and to send me a new one. The dealer has a policy of sending out repaired stock if it is later than 2 weeks from purchase (I could see quite clearly that this one wasn't new when the box arrived) so I got whatever they had lying around.

I sent them an email asking for my money back so I can by a new card instead of one that's broken by design but I think that's a pretty unlikely outcome.

Dashiva - Gigabyte's website shows type A and type B. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2720
Have a look and see which one you have. From everything I've read (and my own experience) Type A is the one that has problems. What brand of ram does your card have on it, out of curiousity?
Exactly. The A card is the one listed with problems and bitched about (rightfully so) in this thread. The B version with Samsung memory performs flawlessly (I have one).

Did anyone put an aftermarket cooler or ramsinks on their card?
Just wondering what fits this thing, being that it isn't the standard reference design.

Also, anyone go as far as to see if there were significant gains in SLI?

zleuth, you do know this card has a zalman cooler on it already, don't you?

Yeah, I noticed!
I'm sill interested in passive cooling!

I don't have a separate office or game room to use my machine, so silent running is my ultimate goal.. It's a courtesy to those I live with :)

With the 5 volt mod, I don't think you would notice it much. I did the 7 volt mod and it is much quieter.

Anybody who did the 5 volt mod want to chime in on what you think.

I too thought this card would be very good but i shouldve bought an asus...

it started off sittin here playing wow and a black screen, i couldnt alt+f4 the app, and so i restarted, i began looking for issues and read afew places that the ram coulda heated up and taht this new REV1.0 would fix...... i have this new REV 1.0, its not fixed... ive been reading around everywhere for some info to help me solve it and by using riva tuner and underclocking i too have solved the same problem you all have by underclocking but i want to know how to go about rmaing the card......

600 linked with 900 as the memory clock works fine in all games for me stable but i paid for a better card i shouldnt have to sit here forum hopping and underclocking to get a stable card to play my games with...

Eitehr way some info about the making of the cards and my own personal theory, flame me all you want its just to help us all...

My Manf Date is week 4 of 2008, im a reseller for supercom and ive had no problems prior to this, the problem is so remittant it takes hours for the ram on my card to heat up, im wondering:

How do i check what maker of RAM i have on this card...

Its the new model with the better zalman fan,

How do i go about RMA'ing this CARD such as making it freeze or like exactly telling them how to test it to make it goto a black screeno r whatever, id like to pretest it here as my supplier charges 15% iuf the card is deemed non defective... im sure everyone here has the same thing i couldnt read about here how to do it, its within 30 days of purchasing also....

My PERSONAL Opinion..... This card is flawed in whatever gigabytes disign team did its fucked... i dno the technicality of it, rams heating up its bad, im pissed off i want an asus 8800gt in return i just need to get this exchanged but how do i do it i cant make it freeze...???

My PERSONAL Opinion..... This card is flawed in whatever gigabytes disign team did its fucked... i dno the technicality of it, rams heating up its bad, im pissed off i want an asus 8800gt in return i just need to get this exchanged but how do i do it i cant make it freeze...???

Well, I have yet to have a freeze while gaming, and I'm still working on different combos to destabilize this card.

If you're getting black screens right away at stock speeds, then I don't see why you would have any trouble RMA'ing it. If you like to fiddle around with clock speeds, then this isn't the card you want to do it with. DO NOT OVERCLOCK!!
This card is clocked 100MHz above the Nvidia reference already!

The one sure fire way I have to hose a card quick is to run 2 demanding 3D apps at the same time, like ATItool and Crysis, but you need alot of memory (3 gigs +) to even get it to do that, plus that doesn't represent real world conditions so I'm not using that as a litmus for stability.
What I tried last night was to run ATItool and Prime95 on core 0 affinity, and Prime95 with Memtest on core 1 affinity for a few hours, and I got no artifacts. I think that this may not be stressing the memory enough though. I'm still working on ways to do that, and I'll post when I can.
Does anyone know how to cut Crysis back to running on only one core? It's optimized to run on dual core by default. I think I need a very vid-memory demanding app to make it work right, and Crysis fits the bill, except for the dual core thing.

yeah i dont know man it happens in world of warcraft on the stock speeds after about 5 hours of game play it just pops into a black screen...

how do i find out what kind of ram this card uses?

also is it possible its a driver issue and a reformat could fix..

also what O/S is this card optimized under... ive been using XP Pro SP3

I love dealing with Gigabyte Tech support, if for nothing else the amusement factor!

Here's my latest dealings with them:

Question: Does there happen to be an updated BIOS for this model video card? (GV-NX88T512HP)

Answer: There are no updates available for this card, the correct is being detected correctly

That is verbatim. Word for word, including punctuation. I want to know what translator program they are using! No grammar check either!

Anywhoo, I have had no more success with destabilizing my card. Maybe I just got luck of the draw, but nothing is wrong with it after 100+ hours of stress tests and game demos and stuff.
What I found that heats things up the best is setting Prime95 to run on logical core 1 affinity, full bore, and then playing Crysis with settings turned till it's almost unplayable, (on easy so I can survive some vid-lag, and an instance of Memtest both on logical core 0 just to keep things interesting as well. No artifacts, no crashes, no blank screens of death.

Going to quote myself here.
I don't remember if I already posted how I feel about DDR3 modules, but to (re)iterate, they are in my opinion very volatile, and rather more susceptible to ESD and voltage spikes then older DDR, or even DDR2. I think that quality control from Gigabyte may indeed be in question. Maybe they need to pay their guys on the line more than $2. an hour, or buy them better grounding straps.

And to quote he who started this whole thread:

Which at this point I agree with.

I am very happy to report that it works! First off, I took one of those cd audio cables that cd drives always come with, and cut it up to be a 2 wire connect cable. I then connected the SPDIF_O header on my board to the header on the gigabyte card. I bought this hdmi adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812226015) and hooked it up. It works great! I haven't tested outputting surround since my TV doesn't support surround (Just clicks, really annoying)

and for the record I have the first model and I haven't had any serious problems. You can bitch and say its a matter of sooner rather than later but gigabyte has at least a 3 year warranty so I don't care if it starts fucking up later i'll just rma it. I love gigabyte shit never let me down

Update: Tried passthrough of 5.1 AC3 and DTS, neither worked, but neither produced clicking either. It disables the system sounds while "passthrough" is going so I don't know if its the TV or the card not sending or receiving the audio

Got an HDMI receiver today. I can successfully passthrough AC3 and DTS 5.1

Well I on this new bust card I can crash it in seconds. The level in Crysis that sets it off quicker than anything else is where you take on the first nano suit guys with miniguns. I had a save game where I'd just killed all the guys and the transports are landing. As they are landing I can take a quick look around loading up textures and then simply blow up a barrel, bam the end. The other card I had didn't crash as reliably as this though.

I was away at the weekend but my retailer implied that once they get back the card and test it they may refund me my cash and hurrah I can leave this card behind. Asus recommended?

Edit: The Crysis level is Awakening.

Great news Slize, you are officially the first person on the net to actually hook up and confirm that the SPDIF/HDMI passthru ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS!!!

And that includes all the reviews ever done onthe 8800GT's. Pretty pathetic huh. :eek::rolleyes::p

Ill go grab one and use it for the primary in SLI, shift my plain 8800GT to secondary.

Much appreciated!!!!

I've been following this threat for several weeks now,
I got the first revision card, (not rev. 1.0) the one with the zalman cooler and quimonda memory that everybody has been complaining about in early February.

I've been noticing intermittent crashing when playing COD4 which requires a reboot (usually after 30+ minutes of play), again almost identical to the problems people noted here, so I emailed gigabyte support and it took them a full week to respond, and this is what i got verbatim,

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.
About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, this condition only happens with some on-line games. If running benchmark software such as 3DMark, you will not see the condition.Part of reason may be related to game application. VGA card may meets surge suddenly when playing these games and OVP( Over Voltage Protection) circuit of VGA card cuts off power at the same time. Therefore, you will see the black screen. Because VGA card is locked by OVP circuit at this moment, you have to reset PC power to unlock VGA card. We have contacted some game suppliers about this issue, and they also have provided patch files for these games.uPlease pgrade VGA driver or game patch files

sounds like a bunch of crap to me, I figured they would tell me to RMA the card just as everybody else had. I'm obviously running the newest drivers from nvidia 169.21, as well as the newest Steam version of COD4, so whats the deal with these a-holes I wonder?

any advice on how I should proceed?

thanks,
simon

Thank you for your kindly mail and supporting GIGABYTE.
About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, this condition only happens with some on-line games. If running benchmark software such as 3DMark, you will not see the condition.Part of reason may be related to game application. VGA card may meets surge suddenly when playing these games and OVP( Over Voltage Protection) circuit of VGA card cuts off power at the same time. Therefore, you will see the black screen. Because VGA card is locked by OVP circuit at this moment, you have to reset PC power to unlock VGA card. We have contacted some game suppliers about this issue, and they also have provided patch files for these games.uPlease pgrade VGA driver or game

If I'm interpreting this correctly, they are implying that cleaner power supplied to the card may resolve the issue with the blank screen thing, if indeed it's related to this OVP circuit they are referring to. That's my opinion reading into the poor translation anyway.

Now, being the curious one, I contacted GGTSE to inquire about sending in for an RMA, and their first response was this:
What kind of troubleshooting did you tried to confirm the card is the issue?
Please note that to run this card you will need to use an 480 watts or higher PSU
Next check for any possible overheating within your processor or videocard
I didn't think it significant earlier, but this response also refers to PSU requirements.
Makes me wonder. Can cleaner power stop the random crashing that many people have been experiencing? Can someone who still has a REV 1.0 card with this issue try a larger output PSU, or one with better stability and post their findings?

I'm using a 3 year old Antec Trupower2 550Watt PSU that is rated for SLI, and I used to run 2x 6800's off of it with no problems. I haven't had any crashes with my current build using this PSU. Could fluctuating power, either from the PSU or maybe even the PCI bus be tripping the OVP circuit? I'll see if I can isolate this more too.
Maybe if I drop another power hungry card in my machine I can reproduce this.

I have a supplemental PSU that fits into a 5.25 bay that is made for powering 2 PCIE SLI or Crossfire cards. Maybe I'll post it for sale on the forums later. Newegg is selling them for like $85.

Well I got refunded in the end and bought myself a GTS which is supposed to have better thermal management.

Good luck to the rest of you.

Hi All. I've been following this thread for some time. Unfortunately not before I'd ordered one of these cards from Overclocker.co.uk.
As soon as I installed it I began to get problems as many of you describe-BSODs, total crashes, scary blue screens with dire warnings in white etc. Totally unpredictable but beautiful when working.

I RMAd it to Overclockers, they kept it a week and then sent it back with no fault found. Apparently it had been tested with Crysis on a 32 bit system

Whilst it was away I did a clean install on a brand new HDD with all updates and SP1.

Overclockers suggested I try the newer 174.44 drivers so I got them from Nvidias site.
When the card came back I uninstalled all Nvidia stuff and drivers through control panel and then ran Driver Cleaner in Safe Mode.
I put the card in and tried to install the 174.44 drivers, once again in Safe Mode.
I got this:

"You are running a 32 bit uninstaller on a 64 bit system. Wrong uninstaller. Uninstaller exits now"

This was swiftly followed by:

"Nvidia setup error
Setup detected the operating system in use is not Windows Vista (64 bit)
This setup program is designed to run on Windows Vista (64 bit)
The installation will be terminated"

Weird and contradictory.

I've asked Overclockers to exchange the card for a different brand/model (GTS?) but they are saying contact Gigabyte.
I contacted Gigabyte. Their replies reveal that they either do not read my mails thoroughly or do not understand them.
Their suggestion is return it to Overclockers for a refund.

This is a nightmare. I now have a card that is totally unreliable and getting more so. I now get "display driver failed to resond but has recovered" messages duing normal desktop activities. The length of time I can spend in games is still variable but seems to be getting shorter.
The newer drivers might (or might not):mad: solve the problem but I can't install them. I've had to do a System restore to get the 169.25s back.

This a nightmare. Does anyone have any suggestions?. Please?

Thanks for reading this far, John

Vista HP 64 bit SP1 (clean install), Asus P5N-E SLI, Q6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB OCZ RAM, Gigabyte 8800GT OC (rev.1 all copper Zalman) 500GB Samsung spinpoint HDD, Thermaltake Toughpower 650 watt PSU all in a Thermaltake Tsunami case with Thermaltake Golden Orb CPU cooler plus front back and side fans

I have no problems with my 8800GT "TurboForce" so far. The fan is annoyingly loud in 2D mode, though. It was a really stupid move not to include automatic fan speed control.

Buying a factory-overclocked card is always a little risky. Nvidia released the 8800GT to the card makers saying "Here's our new chip. This is how the board should look *points at reference board*, and this is how high the chip can clock while still guaranteeing stability". If a card maker then tinkers with the design and decides to overclock, there's always the chance that a few GPUs and memory chips, barely meeting the specs, will fail.

Determining which chips can reach the overclocked speeds, and which will have to go into regular 8800GT cards would require very lengthy stability and endurance tests. I'm sure Gigabyte doesn't have the resources to pump out cards fast enough if they were all stress tested by hand for something like 24 hours after the final boards were assembled. Even if they did, some errors might not manifest themselves until weeks later. It's cheaper to just count on a few cards failing, even if that means lengthy RMA processes and lots of headaches for some customers.

I contacted Gigabyte. Their replies reveal that they either do not read my mails thoroughly or do not understand them.
Their suggestion is return it to Overclockers for a refund.

I understand your pain.

I had one of the first revisions (with the Qimonda memory) and had a problem where the PC would intermittently boot up with a pink screen (a bit different to everyone else).

I initially took it back to the reseller and they said I needed a better PSU (was 400W). Purchased 650W, same problem, took back again, was told should be using better chipset than 965, purchsed P35 motherboard, same problem (although far less frequent).

Logged problem on Gigabyte Technical Services web site, waited about 2 weeks with the reply basically: "never heard of this problem before, take it back to the reseller" - Arrhh!!

Took it back to reseller again and finally they gave in and gave me a swap unit (would have preferred refund but I not complaining). This model with Samsung memory and Zalman VF830, so far so good.

The new VF830 cools a lot better than the old VF700, load GPU temps went from 68 to 55c.

Hi All.
Overclockers.co.uk have agreed to give me a refund for my Gigabyte card.Hooray!
So what can I get. Looking at their site I can now get an OCd BFG card for about the same money or put a few more pounds in and get a BFG 8800GTS OC.
At a stretch I could even go for a 9800 series.
Obviously I will be relieved to be rid of the Gigabyte but am I going to get the same driver problems with another 8800 series card.
The Gigabyte card looked beautiful when working and the big Zalman cooler was great but I would be reluctant to get another.
On the other hand I have the feeling that the problems were due to Nvidias drivers and Vista 64 bit rather than the card itself.
I would like to get a card that just works and forget this nightmare.
Has anyone got any suggestions what to go for?

Thanks, John

I got that exact same card from Overclockers and refunded and then like you said picked up the BFG GTS for the about same money. I'm pretty happy with it, I had to use the 174 beta drivers to correct an issue with the 169 but it took care of all my PC issues.

I understand your pain.

I had one of the first revisions (with the Qimonda memory) and had a problem where the PC would intermittently boot up with a pink screen (a bit different to everyone else).

I initially took it back to the reseller and they said I needed a better PSU (was 400W). Purchased 650W, same problem, took back again, was told should be using better chipset than 965, purchsed P35 motherboard, same problem (although far less frequent).

Logged problem on Gigabyte Technical Services web site, waited about 2 weeks with the reply basically: "never heard of this problem before, take it back to the reseller" - Arrhh!!

Took it back to reseller again and finally they gave in and gave me a swap unit (would have preferred refund but I not complaining). This model with Samsung memory and Zalman VF830, so far so good.

The new VF830 cools a lot better than the old VF700, load GPU temps went from 68 to 55c.

They gave you the good one as a replacement. You shouldn't have any problems with that card. I've been using mine since mid January with no problems.

well this is just great :mad: i have this card and it has started acting up. I have had it for about 4 months now and it has had no problems until this past week. Just like others have posted while playing WoW my screen would either go black and i would have to hard reset or my screen would freeze for a few seconds and then come back all corrupted.

I checked my ram clocks and it came clocked at 920. I'm going to try bumping it down to 900 just to see how it does.

So is the general consensus that the RAM chips are bad? or are they just overheating?

also, to the comments about bad power going to the card. i have this power supply http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817139004 so i would hope that is not the issue since its so highly regarded around here.

well this is just great :mad: i have this card and it has started acting up. I have had it for about 4 months now and it has had no problems until this past week. Just like others have posted while playing WoW my screen would either go black and i would have to hard reset or my screen would freeze for a few seconds and then come back all corrupted.

I checked my ram clocks and it came clocked at 920. I'm going to try bumping it down to 900 just to see how it does.

So is the general consensus that the RAM chips are bad? or are they just overheating?

also, to the comments about bad power going to the card. i have this power supply http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817139004 so i would hope that is not the issue since its so highly regarded around here.

Are your temps while gaming getting out of hand? Regardless, grab a $10 set of low profile BGA ramsinks. That'll rule out overheated memory. And make sure the HSF is clean and free from dust bunnies trapping heat. What cooler is on the card? VF700 or 830?

Back