refurb mobo

Curve

Limp Gawd
refurb motherboards... Should I avoid like refurb hdd's or are they ok in general?

I'm wanting to build an esxi server for home. I've read that the abit ip35 pro will work with esxi and the board seems to have great reviews.. that being said, I found a refurb for 63.00

pull the trigger or find something else new? thanks

They're OK in general... however, don't expect much from them.

In most cases, all you get is the motherboard and (some kind of) box -- sometimes, they even omit the rear I/O panel. Additionally, since the refurbished motherboard is likely a returned item, it may not come with the most current version of the BIOS.

If you're willing to take the risk and do some legwork, a refurbished motherboard can be a good way to save money.

I have yet to receive a NEW mobo that comes with the most current BIOS. I typically avoid refurb mobos. It just isn't worth my sanity to wonder what's wrong when you start having mystery crashes for some reason, your drives start getting corrupted data, or programs simply refuse to run. Especially with some companies that will take a customer return for any reason and immediately turn it around and send it to a customer as a 'open box deal', so the customer is their guinea pig.

Refurb all the way for things that don't grossly impact system stability and reliability, though.

Back