Refurbished cards ok?

iqwertyi

Limp Gawd
So, I wanted to get a basic card for my new build that will tide me over till the next gen ones arrive. My question is, have you had any experience with refurbished cards? Bad or Good?

I'm looking at one from Newegg specifically. I'm just curious if their refurbs are pretty good and reliable. I do notice that it says No Accessories included. But does that mean no Box or literally no accesories? It would suck cause it's suppose to be a VIVO card and needs and adapter for power.

Anyway, your opinions are welcome.

Thanks.

Yea you'd have to buy VIVO accessories for it. It would come in a brown box with only a driver, no doubt.

I've had good luck with professionally refurbed cards from egay, bought two and I gave one to a friend. Good price, both cards still running over a year now. Newegg refurbs are not necessarily professionally refurbed though, they are kinda shady about their refurbs... They send the RMAed products out to another customer one more time as a refurb and then if the product comes back to them they check it and refurb it if necessary. You could end up having to RMA any refurb you get. At least this is what a friend told me. I would email them to just be sure if you are serious about it.

~Adam

I just bought a evga 6800 gs from newegg. No problems!:D
Came with everything in a plain brown box.
Newegg has a great return policy .

id rather buy used than refurb or recert on newegg they get horrific reviews! i wouldn't want to waste any money mailing a broken card back and waiting for refund

I just purchased two refurbed items from NewEgg (an x850Pro and an ASrock MB). The motherboard came shipped in an anti-static bag - absolutely no acessories (not even the I/O shield). Works fine, though.

The x850Pro is hard to tell from new. It came in the original box, with all accessories unopened. The only hint it wasn't new was the broken seal on the box. Working great!

If you want to save a chunk of change on an open box video card from Newegg, I'd say go for it.

open box means little to no warranty! why not just buy it used.. i mean if its a 30$ card or mobo who cares but couple hundred ah no.. i also have bought many assrock mobos open box on newegg for 30$ shipped each nice deals

I've ordered several referb. things from Newegg and never had any problems with them. I'd say 75% of the time it came like it was brand new. I ordered a P5N32 SLI and it came with everything. But there is always chance that you could get a bum part, they are very good with there RMA's though. If you wanna save some cash I'd do it.

Thanks for all the responses.

So, I was either looking at a brand new x1950pro 512MB non VIVO card for around $200 or an open box x1900GT 256MB VIVO for like $130. I have to clarify that the cheaper was actually Open Box vs. a Refurbished which I originally thought it was.

Core and Memory clock speeds are pretty much the same. I guess seeing that I've never really used VIVO on my other computer which is VIVO equipped, I guess the main difference is the memory size.

Does an extra 256 really make a difference? I'd like to keep this till the new cards that support DX10 actually become affordable, maybe a year?

what do you guys think now?
Thanks.

256 megs of memory in my opinion is worth $70 if you are going to try to be gaming in higher resolutions. For instance if you like 1280by1024 or above gaming then it's a no brainer- 512 megs all the way.

~Adam

Back