Regarding Samsung 244T

I'm basing my assumptions on what I've read from others. No I've never owned a 24 inch LCD monitor before but I often work on computers where I've never seen or heard of a particular problem but then I always figure out what it is. I'm not saying I know it all because I obviously stated that in the last sentence. What I'm saying I'm stating what I think might be the cause based on what I've read from other reviews, both professional and amateur.

Mice can factor into input lag...see here: http://www.behardware.com/articles/632-3/lcds-images-delayed-compared-to-crts-yes.html
As far as drivers go....well I know bad drivers can cause other problems with even CRT monitors....again, just a theory. While there have been quite a few people talk about the 244T's input lag, I've read many many more state how perfect their monitor is. I'm sure there are some people who just don't notice it and might not notice things like this. Unfortunately for me, I do notice things like this. If it exists, I'll see it!

Now, that said, as it stands now, I'm going to be getting the BenQ FP241W 24 inch monitor. The main reason I'm choosing it over the 244T is the fact that the BenQ has 1:1 pixel mapping, which the Samsung doesn't have. Aside from that they are nearly identical. The BenQ has more connections, but I don't really care about that since I'll be using this pretty much exclusively as a PC monitor and nothing else. Here's a good review on the BenQ FP241W: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/11/07/Benq_FP241W/4.html

ToastyX said:
Why do people do this?

How can you be so certain if you don't even have the monitor and haven't done any tests?

How can it be the video card when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag when used with the same video card?

How can it be the video card drivers when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag when used with the same video card drivers? How can it be out of date video card drivers when using the latest version doesn't make a difference?

How can it be not enough RAM when other monitors with the same native resolution don't have as much lag with the same amount of RAM?

How can it be the mouse? The monitor is lagging, not the mouse. What does the mouse have to do with the monitor lagging? People have done tests with timers. The mouse doesn't affect that.

How can it be anything related to the computer when the monitor lags the same amount when hooked up to any other computer?

Have you ever used a large monitor with a slow video card? It doesn't add lag at all. I don't know why people keep assuming the problem is the video card not being able to keep up.

I've used several 23"/24" monitors, all with a native resolution of 1920x1200. I used some of them side by side, and the results were always consistent. The ones that lagged the most were the ones with Samsung PVA panels and overdrive. The Samsung 244T was the worst. I don't know how so many people don't notice 55+ ms of lag. I found it unbearable, even for basic tasks.

My experience has been consistent with others. If you search around, you'll see that the monitors people complain about the most are the ones with Samsung PVA panels and overdrive. Although lag is not limited to those monitors, those seem to be the worst. You won't find anyone complaining about lag on the Apple Cinema Display or the HP L2335 because those monitors don't have any significant lag.

I don't know why I bother. People seem to throw logic out the window when talking about monitor lag.

I agree with you that all of today's LCD's are slower or rather have a higher response time than any CRT monitor does. It will probably be around 4 or 5 years before that has changed, but LCD's have their advantages. Anyway, I'll be able to make an informed decision once I finally get one.

zzz said:
Or that their CRT is at 60Hz. They're not sharp/sensitive.

I don't know either. :)

Here you go, Bowen.

Back