Release Date of SN25P!

Clownboat said:
To paraphrase that monkey chick, "But it's so damn ugly!"

Well, the new Shuttle ST20G5 should be out shortly after the SN25P.
St20G5 = Ati RS480 chipset, and the much better looking G5 chassis.

r3negade said:

For those who want to know, the ATI one will only be in silver.

navicaph said:
For those who want to know, the ATI one will only be in silver.

How did you find out about this? (link?)

Im hoping it's in silver, cause I think it looks better than the black one, but from all the info I've found so far, the color of the G5 chassis has still been undecided.

where did you find out it only coems out in silver? i wouldnt mind either color, but id like to see more info on the ST; which ill likely choose over the sn

Thanks I'll be watching for this one. Hope more info is posted as things get leaked out before release.

My plan is to replace my older laptop with a Shuttle type box sometime this year.

r3negade said:

So you're saying wait for the slower box, with less expansion and smaller PSU? WTF?

IdiotInCharge said:
So you're saying wait for the slower box, with less expansion and smaller PSU? WTF?

huh??
the ST20G5 is for the amd 939/pci-e platform based off the ATi RS480 chipset. Technically, its not faster or slower than the SN25P; but the SN25P is likely to have better barebones "quality" (ie onboard sound).

They'll also likely to have the same expansion; one 16x pcie and one pcie expansion slot. Shuttle's PSU is not like any other on the market. They claim for it to be "250 watt" but if you visit sudhian, you'll notice that no one has been able to max out PSU. A lot of them are running raptors, 3500+, and 6800gts without a problem.

IdiotInCharge said:

With regards as to which one is faster... who knows? (although I'd be willing to bet the NF4 board is, simply because this is ATI's first jump in the chipset).

Sure the ST20G5 has a smaller psu, and is a smaller case... BUT, for alot of people the 'look' of the xpc is very important.
To me and many others, the P chassis is FUGLY. While the G5 is beautiful.

I dont think anyone here (or at least very few) are going to be going SFF in hopes of getting an O/C machine. Personally, I just want a stable and fast box... and Im hoping the RS480 provides that.

I'd be all over the NF4 board if it came in the G5... but since it's in the ugly P chassis, Im going to pass.

But you see that's what it's all about- stable and fast. I have no intention of overclocking, it rather defeats the concept of silence- but I want as fast as I can get with silence, and I know I can get that from NF4. As far as stability goes, well, if I'm going to put some nice stuff in there, I'd like to make sure it is stable the day I build it, and still stable 2 years later- I don't want my power supply straining and slowly burning components out. 350 watts is just enough for me to consider, for the first time, using an SFF as my main box.

If you're not going to overclock, how much faster would the NF4 board be over the RS480board? (if any)

I've built a couple of xpc's before (2x SN45Gv1's), and the PSU's havent died on yet. I guess I can understand a first time buyer being hesitant on a 250W PSU, but I've never had any problems with it (and it seems that many others are in the same boat).

To me... the only reason Im going SFF is for the appearance (of course it also has to be stable and competitive with full sized ATX systems). I know it might sound stupid, but I want a computer I can put on my desk (rather than having a tower sitting on the floor), and I want something that looks good. To me, the P chassis just doesnt look good, -it looks tacky, and ugly.
And since appearance is the only reason Im going SFF, any of the P chassis models are an absolute no-no for me... hence I go with the G5.

r3negade said:

This is email i got from Shuttle

Hi

ST20G5 is for Intel CPU only. This model should be available sometime in march both in USA and CANADA.

The next new AMD xpc model will be SN25P, which will be available some time in April.

Hi.

I am looking to buy shuttle xpc based on Athlon 64 processor. I was reading this forum : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=860307 and someone said that shuttle had new XPCs for AMD at ECS in particular ST20G5 based on ATI RS480. When this system will be available in Canada and is it true that this system for AMD will be finally in silver ??

Is there any place where I can find more details about this system

The power supplied by the 240W PSU is remarkably sufficient for stock
and a mild overclock. When I was first oc'ing and testing my SN95G5,
I was without the second HDD and any USB components attached, as these
also draw power from the PSU and cause oc'ing failures. Once I got
where I am now it ran very stable, again without the second HDD and
USB drives. As soon as the extra components were added I was having
some tiny problems with power, but nothing that couldn't be sorted.
But as a consequence my second HDD is now an external one with a
seperate power supply, but the USB drives and peripherals aren't
hindering my oc. As it runs stable, I run it at this current
configuration all the time.

This was in a reply to an email I sent someone from Sudhian forums. He is running an sn95g5 with a 3500+ OC'ed to 2.5GHz (Newcastle not Winnie), a 6800GT @ 400/1150, a 74gig raptor, and a dvd burner. He said he only experienced stability problems when he also had his second 250gb maxtor drive in as well as a number of usb components that also drew power. So, it seems that little PSU can handle quite a bit of pressure...

bbc20000 said:
This is email i got from Shuttle

Hi

ST20G5 is for Intel CPU only. This model should be available sometime in march both in USA and CANADA.

The next new AMD xpc model will be SN25P, which will be available some time in April.

Hi.

I am looking to buy shuttle xpc based on Athlon 64 processor. I was reading this forum : http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=860307 and someone said that shuttle had new XPCs for AMD at ECS in particular ST20G5 based on ATI RS480. When this system will be available in Canada and is it true that this system for AMD will be finally in silver ??

Is there any place where I can find more details about this system

Not sure about the email, but it's pretty much verified on other boards (from official Shuttle spokepersons) that the ST20G5 is AMD.
Plus the email looks fishy: The SN25P coming out AFTER the ST20G5? Unlikely.

Not to mention that the code is: ST20G5.
Where the 'T' stands for ATI
codes are: 'N' nVidia --->SN95G5
'B' Intel Cpus ---> SB83G5

r3negade said:
Not to mention that the code is: ST20G5.
Where the 'T' stands for ATI
codes are: 'N' nVidia --->SN95G5
'B' Intel Cpus ---> SB83G5

The 'T', 'N' and 'B' refer to the maker of the chipset, not the processor.

I'm currently running a MSI RS480M2-IL in a Antec aria with a 3500+ (Newcastle), and for some reason MSI chose to leave overclocking capabilities out of the bios. I don't know if shuttle plans to follow suit. I do like that my SFF runs whisper quiet, I'm using a Zalman CNPS7000-Cu in place of the stock HSF. My DVD+/-RW sometimes gets louder than the PSU fan. I had an Asus P5GD1-VM and a 3.2Ghz and playing Doom 3 caused the PSU fan to spin up to full speed and the thermal threshold sensor would kick in. I don't overclock but the Antec Aria sucks when it comes to airflow. I'm hesitant to do it but if a Nforce 4 mb is released on the market in MicroATX, I'd definitely would want to get one. I have no complaints about my current setup even though it lacks gigabit lan.

Guys....the ATi chip isn't any slower then the nVidia chip. From what I've seen, it basicly trades blows with the nV chip. Plus, ATi's reference mobo OCd like a monster (even though that doesn't apply here) so just imagine would could be done with the thing in the hands of DFI or ASUS ( ala the p4[p/c]800, as apposed to the more recent amd mobo's)

Let me preset to you ST20G5

shuttle_st20g5.jpg

My next SFF....

:)

There is more infor here

Shuttle will launch this new product on 10th of March in CeBIT: XPC ST20G5 - based on the ATi RADEON XPRESS 200 chipset, the first integrated graphics solution with DirectX 9 and OpenGL technology, featuring Athlon 64-bit Socket 939 CPU support.
Built around ATi RADEON XPRESS core logic, the Shuttle XPC ST20G5 features Athlon 64-bit socket 939 CPU support, 1GHz HyperTransport™ enhanced system bus and dual-channel DDR 400 memory. With graphics powered by the RADEON XPRESS 200, this model comes with DVI and VGA outputs, great for dual display multitasking and presentation environments. User’s can push this box one step further by installing an x16 PCI-E graphics card for SurroundView™ triple-display support.

These performance-enhanced features are housed in Shuttle’s elegant G5-series chassis, which incorporates beautifully engineered stealth drive bays with slick brush aluminum finish. Further, with the full palette of Silent X technologies; Silent X 240W PSU, Integrated Cooling Engine (ICE) with 92mm fan and linear operation as well as intelligent airflow mechanics, the ST20G5 runs both quiet and cool.

thanks for the translation.... (what language was the source in? Couldnt find a translation using babel fish).

Anyways, it's nice to finally see some info on this xpc. With the news of the SN25P grabbing all the attention, I though we'd never get info on this better looking unit.

I was going to get the SN95G5, but if this comes out by April, I'll be getting this one instead.

Here she be: good writeup, but they note slower than average performance on quite a few things, as well as withouth the NF4U, it's missing active-armor (which I was looking foreward to, but not a big detractor since it has higher CPU usage and the hardware firewall is intact). Still has the Editor's Choice though, even at $420, so I guess it's time to start saving :).

So, since the above review does not use newer drives, the question is still up in the air for me...

Does this box support NCQ ?

Since it isn't explicitly stated, I'd assume no. What a shame.

Also, Why aren't manufacturers currently touting the drop-in ability for dual-core as a means to increase sales?

I've been holding out for a NCQ-enabled Dual-core ready A64 SFF ... I guess I'll keep waiting ... ?

IdiotInCharge said:
Here she be: good writeup, but they note slower than average performance on quite a few things, as well as withouth the NF4U, it's missing active-armor (which I was looking foreward to, but not a big detractor since it has higher CPU usage and the hardware firewall is intact). Still has the Editor's Choice though, even at $420, so I guess it's time to start saving :).

Ya i was really waiting for this one but seems a little disapointing. Most of the benches were kind of low. Nice to see there was a BIOS update to fix the T1 command rate issue, but still this BIOS does not look like it got "done" for release.

Want to buy this one in a month or so, hopefully BIOS issues will all be solved by then and the benches will be better.

Here is another good review:
http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=653

Binkt said:
So, since the above review does not use newer drives, the question is still up in the air for me...

Does this box support NCQ ?

Since it isn't explicitly stated, I'd assume no. What a shame.

Also, Why aren't manufacturers currently touting the drop-in ability for dual-core as a means to increase sales?

I've been holding out for a NCQ-enabled Dual-core ready A64 SFF ... I guess I'll keep waiting ... ?

It uses NF4 instead of NF4 Ultra- thus, no NCQ support. However, I have no idea why you would want this- in general, it makes drives in desktop systems slower (though the most expensive Maxtors do gain a little). Dual-core ready, no doubt, will not be announced for current or upcoming products until more information on Dual-core packaging becomes clear- so if you're waiting for Dual-core ready, you're waiting for Dual-core period. By the time we know what works with Dual-core and what doesn't, we'll know when we can buy it.

msny said:
Ya i was really waiting for this one but seems a little disapointing. Most of the benches were kind of low. Nice to see there was a BIOS update to fix the T1 command rate issue, but still this BIOS does not look like it got "done" for release.

Want to buy this one in a month or so, hopefully BIOS issues will all be solved by then and the benches will be better.

Here is another good review:
http://www.sfftech.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=653

Thanks for the other link- and I pretty much agree (as above). I'm kind of hoping that there will be a ver.2, as Shuttle has done in many cases, maybe with the NF4U included (I'd like the better firewalling, SFF's are portable, and being as safe as possible when you're not completely sure what you're plugging into is nice). But I will settle easily for a BIOS update that exposes all settings as well as increases performance in line with desktop competitor's- there's no reason it shouldn't be up to par, given the K8 architecture.

Back